Fan Mist Cooler

galowgala

You are absolutely correct! I have seen some coolers that use heat exchangers (freon based radiators). They usually are for GPUs, but I have seen them for CPUs. That would be a better option.

If you are talking about the large fan units used outside for restaurants I would never use in an enclosed area. Not only would the humidity quickly become oppressive but you have heard of legionnaires disease?

If he is talking about the small home sized units -- we used to have one and frankly, in areas of high humidity it doesn't work.

Our computers get damaged simply from the ambient humidity, but then they are right on the ocean too. We were told not to turn them off if we didn't have to as condensation forms on the mainboard as the unit cools (to which I can attest having replaced numerous sticky mainboards over the years--sticky from sea air that is)

If he is talking about the small home sized units -- we used to have one and frankly, in areas of high humidity it doesn't work.

Our computers get damaged simply from the ambient humidity, but then they are right on the ocean too. We were told not to turn them off if we didn't have to as condensation forms on the mainboard as the unit cools (to which I can attest having replaced numerous sticky mainboards over the years--sticky from sea air that is)

I laugh every time I see fan mist coolers and water spraying misters indoor in Thailand. They DO NOT work because of the high humidity. We are in the tropics not the dry desert.

I laugh every time I see fan mist coolers and water spraying misters indoor in Thailand. They DO NOT work because of the high humidity. We are in the tropics not the dry desert.

that is correct. however, even in dry climate evaporation coolers do not work if the air is not continously exchanged.

that is correct. however, even in dry climate evaporation coolers do not work if the air is not continously exchanged.

I lived in the Mojave Desert in Southern California for 8 years. Saw a high of 120F=49C. As long as the ambient temp was below 115F or 46C evaporator coolers or swamp cooler worked great but above 115F they were a no go and bring on the frig.

If you are talking about the large fan units used outside for restaurants I would never use in an enclosed area. Not only would the humidity quickly become oppressive but you have heard of legionnaires disease?

I've never heard of a cooling tower being 'indoors'. As such, Legionaires Disease is not a problem...at all!!!

It is caused by breathing mist containing the bacteria and that bacteria is apparently common in water here in Thailand per this current news report.

Below is cause as listed by NIH

Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria. You usually get it by breathing in mist from water that contains the bacteria. The mist may come from hot tubs, showers or air-conditioning units for large buildings. The bacteria don't spread from person to person.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/legionnairesdisease.html