Tv Nuisance

paulfr

With all the advanced technology we have, why can't TVs have an automatic gain adjustment on volume so you do not have to raise or lower the volume every time you change the channel ??

Anyone else have this annoyance or am I missing a page in my Sony manual ??

My Sony has something called "Intelligent Volume" which is supposed to do what you ask. I have it "on", but I can't vouch for how well it works. Frankly, I don't watch much TV....

But, I just looked in the manual and you set it, oddly enough, under the "Sound" menu.

High end Sat receivers and tuners have this feature...

Its a very basic thing for a provider to have unifed levels but TiT..

Cant say it bothers me much and would rather keep the UBC decoder where the epg works.. Then feed that output inot a scaler...

My Sony has something called "Intelligent Volume" which is supposed to do what you ask. I have it "on", but I can't vouch for how well it works. Frankly, I don't watch much TV....

But, I just looked in the manual and you set it, oddly enough, under the "Sound" menu.

I have the same thing on my Sony, doesn't work...

Most tv stations sound feeds sound terribly distorted anyway.

With all the advanced technology we have, why can't TVs have an automatic gain adjustment on volume so you do not have to raise or lower the volume every time you change the channel ??......

They do. As you correctly noted, its called AGC (Automatic Gain Control), circuitry, but it is designed to compensate for broadcast signal strength reception variation, not the receivers amplifier volume output.

Some TV's have additional circuitry (eg: Phillips "AutoSound") which basically hold the volume level to what you preset, when actual broadcast levels vary, such as when the broadcasters increase sound volume on commercials.

Sorry, but don't know of an "add-on" which would solve your current problem.

cheers :D

[PS - You may also have noted a similar problem in commercial DVD's. Low sound level to start, volume slowly increasing as play progresses. :o ]