Can I Change A Non-B Student Visa To A Non-B Working Visa In Thailand?

A valid Non "B" visa can be used to get a work permit. If you are on an extension of stay then it is up to immigration what can and cannot be done. I would not recommend a tourist visa if you are planning to work in Thailand, the Labor Department would not issue a work permit .

Edited by InterestedObserver

A little more info is required to give you a correct answer;

Most if not ALL the 'student' visas I've seen (and I've seen several hundred of them) have been Non-Immigrant Type-ED (education) visas, and not Non-Immigrant Type-B (business) visas.

Last time I checked (which I do often) there is no Non-Immigrant Type-B ‘student visa’ :ermm: . That's not the same as saying a person holding a Non-Immigrant Type B visa couldn't be a student, only that it is NOT usually the case ;) .

Most students, especially ones at private schools get a Single Entry 90 day Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa (outside the country at a thai embassy or consulate). They then apply for a '90 day extension of stay' inside the country at Thai Immigrations with supporting documents showing continuing study. Now the subject of study can be what ever you're learning; thai, engrish, scuba diving, muay-thai, buddhism, (possibly even under water basket weaving :blink: ) or any of the other endeavors they offer Type ED visas for here and are verifiable companies registered with the Ministry of Education.

Perhaps checking your passport to see what the exact type of visa you have is in order first. Then tell us when you last entered the country, if you currently reside here under an 'extension of stay' from inside the country, or if you secured this visa in your home country (which would most likely be a Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED Visa) and if you're doing visa runs every 90 days.

And don't forget to say whether you are studying at a private thai school or a 'real' university. I do know of some people who study real things at a 'real university' here in thailand (and I'm NOT saying studying the thai language, engrish, scuba diving buddhism or muay thai aren't real things :o ). The people pursuing higher education have work permits while also holding a Non-Imm-ED visa but it is for 'internship' kind of work related to their primary field of study.

One last thing, a work permit is totally different from what ever visa you’re currently residing here on, and issued from a completely different government office than either visas or visa extensions of stay.

A little more info is required to give you a correct answer;

Most if not ALL the 'student' visas I've seen (and I've seen several hundred of them) have been Non-Immigrant Type-ED (education) visas, and not Non-Immigrant Type-B (business) visas.

Last time I checked (which I do often) there is no Non-Immigrant Type-B 'student visa' :ermm: . That's not the same as saying a person holding a Non-Immigrant Type B visa couldn't be a student, only that it is NOT usually the case ;) .

Most students, especially ones at private schools get a Single Entry 90 day Non-Immigrant Type-ED visa (outside the country at a thai embassy or consulate). They then apply for a '90 day extension of stay' inside the country at Thai Immigrations with supporting documents showing continuing study. Now the subject of study can be what ever you're learning; thai, engrish, scuba diving, muay-thai, buddhism, (possibly even under water basket weaving :blink: ) or any of the other endeavors they offer Type ED visas for here and are verifiable companies registered with the Ministry of Education.

Perhaps checking your passport to see what the exact type of visa you have is in order first. Then tell us when you last entered the country, if you currently reside here under an 'extension of stay' from inside the country, or if you secured this visa in your home country (which would most likely be a Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant Type-ED Visa) and if you're doing visa runs every 90 days.

And don't forget to say whether you are studying at a private thai school or a 'real' university. I do know of some people who study real things at a 'real university' here in thailand (and I'm NOT saying studying the thai language, engrish, scuba diving buddhism or muay thai aren't real things :o ). The people pursuing higher education have work permits while also holding a Non-Imm-ED visa but it is for 'internship' kind of work related to their primary field of study.

One last thing, a work permit is totally different from what ever visa you're currently residing here on, and issued from a completely different government office than either visas or visa extensions of stay.

Hello, thank you for the reply. I thought my visa was a Non-B but it looks like it is an 'ED' visa, so is it possible to change an 'ED' visa to a NON-B in Thailand? if not then what should I do? go to Cambodia and come back in on a tourist visa right? and then change that tourist visa to a NON-B?

cheers

You are not allowed to work on a ED-visa, and immigraiton is not likely to convert your permission to stay from study to working. (Unless you get to work for the goverment or a prestegious university, than you might have a chance).

Apply for the work permit now. Instead of the work eprmit, labour will issue you a WP3 form. Together with employer letter and company papers you than apply for a non-B visa abroad (Laos should be fine). Once you come back on the non-B you will get your work permit.

• 5 months later...

Couldn't find the answer elsewhere and this was the closest thread I could find.

I'm currently extending an ED visa as a student of a private language school. 90 days at a time. When my course ends, should I not wish to continue my studies, is there a way to convert to a Non Immigrant O Visa (for long stay/visiting friends) at an immigration office within Thailand before my permission to stay expires?

I'm under 50, not married and not working, so a Non Imm O is my favoured option. Am I looking at a trip to my home country or can somethng be done within Thailand/SE Asia? I know the score with tourist visas from Laos but would much prefer Non Imm O if possible.

Thanks

Edited by TCA

You are not likely to obtain such a visa (for long stay/visiting friends) anywhere (from the information you provide) and no way can you convert inside Thailand.

Thanks, but now I'm worried. When you say not likely from anywhere, why would that be the case? From reading the apparent new rules for a Non Immigrant O visa from Hull, a property rental contract appears sufficient for the new long stay criteria. I am a long term resident in Thailand, (with such a contract), hence why I said my favoured visa option, so why would you assume the opposite? Or am I missing something obvious in the new rules?

You are not likely to obtain such a visa (for long stay/visiting friends) anywhere (from the information you provide) and no way can you convert inside Thailand.

Thanks, but now I'm worried. When you say not likely from anywhere, why would that be the case? From reading the apparent new rules for a Non Immigrant O visa from Hull, a property rental contract appears sufficient for the new long stay criteria. I am a long term resident in Thailand, (with such a contract), hence why I said my favoured visa option, so why would you assume the opposite? Or am I missing something obvious in the new rules?

That might do the trick, if you go to Hull. It is a new option that consulate now offers, so a lot is unsure regarding the proof you will need to show. Other consulates are not known to provide a visa for this reason.

You did not mention that in your previous post. That is why I said with what information you provided. But from some reports this lease option may not be a long term deal so only time will tell. And even now it appears specific to that one location.

Thanks for the replies. One last question if I may. If I had no choice but to go the tourist visa route and was able to get a triple entry tourist visa from Hull when back in the UK, would there be anything to stop me keeping my existing permission to stay alive on my ED visa, re-entering on that and activating the first entry of the tourist visa at a later date?

i.e. a triple entry tourist visa has 6 months validity for 3 entries of 60 days, so if you enter Thailand on it right away there's no leeway to go beyond that other than with extensions. Not like with a Non Imm O when you can eek 15 months from it. So is it possible to buy a second visa but not use it until later, thereby utilising my existing remaining permission to stay and making my third exit and entry on the tourist visa on day 59 and getting a further 2 months?

P.S. I know extensions are probably easier but I'd like to know anyway.

Normally a visa will not be issued if you currently have one in passport, without that being canceled. If seen on entry, and you do not wish to use it, immigration could elect to mark it used. We have reports of that even on visa exempt entry request while holding a valid visa. But as with most things not everyone may handle in the same manner; or see it.

Thanks for the quick reply lopburi. My actual visa is in my older expired passport (so I only have the extension and permisson to stay in the new one and potential re-entry permit), but it still sounds like there's a very good chance this wouldn't work and would be a waste of time, so I'll strike it from my dwindling list of options.

Cheers.

Edited by TCA

Not really sure what you are after here. A "lease" to stay or a "Lease" to stay AND work?

If the former, then there are several choices - if you are going back to the UK (you mentioned getting the Visa from Hull), then its easy enough to get a 1 year non-imm 'O' - depending on the catergory, they may mark it as not allowed to work ('ED' for example), and do 90 day visa runs (gives about 15 months).

If the l;atter, then you either need to be married to a Thai and on an non-imm 'O' and get a WP or (if not married to a Thai or not wanting to base your Visa/WP on the fact of marriage) a non-imm 'B' Visa with a WP. The 'B' Visa can be got with an invite from a Thai company for a position (even if you do not ever actually work for them), but you still need the WP to work (even unpaid!) legally. WP' can only be got if you have a credible employer (including a charity/NGO/etc for volunteer work) that qualifies under the rules.

Not really sure what you are after here. A "lease" to stay or a "Lease" to stay AND work?

If the former, then there are several choices - if you are going back to the UK (you mentioned getting the Visa from Hull), then its easy enough to get a 1 year non-imm 'O' - depending on the catergory, they may mark it as not allowed to work ('ED' for example), and do 90 day visa runs (gives about 15 months).

The former - as my first post said "I'm under 50, not married and not working, so a Non Imm O is my favoured option." My real question was whether I could, in my circumstances, do something within Thailand/SE Asia in terms of changing from ED to O but it appears not.

The potential problem with the Non O from Hull is that the criteria has changed with visiting friends/family (my only choice), no longer an option. A new category for long stayers has been introduced but as Lopburi3 pointed out above, the criteria for issue is unclear so far. It appears that it's being granted when in possession of a property rental contract, so I'd like to think I'll be OK if that's the case when the time comes.

The former - as my first post said "I'm under 50, not married and not working, so a Non Imm O is my favoured option." My real question was whether I could, in my circumstances, do something within Thailand/SE Asia in terms of changing from ED to O but it appears not.

The potential problem with the Non O from Hull is that the criteria has changed with visiting friends/family (my only choice), no longer an option. A new category for long stayers has been introduced but as Lopburi3 pointed out above, the criteria for issue is unclear so far. It appears that it's being granted when in possession of a property rental contract, so I'd like to think I'll be OK if that's the case when the time comes.

Hi - from the Hull web site (for Non-Imm 'O'):

To apply for this type of visa please use our Standard Visa Application Pack and include with it one of the

following:-

a) To reside in Thailand

Copy of house deeds or copy of rent/lease agreement

B) To visit family living in Thailand

Copy of Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate showing relationship

c) To undertake volunteer work for a registered charity

Letter from registered charity

d) To visit as a registered UK Pensioner

Copies of bank statements showing receipt of pension payment

Please note that this type of visa does not allow employment.

Didn't realise they had changed it.

So, if you have family then option B is OK. Otherwise, its 'ED' or if you know anyone with a company willing to offer you a job in their Thai company on paper, then you can use that to get a Non-Imm 'B' (or sgn up for a volunteer charity that arranges WP's at cost in exchange to you teaching English to poor kids - several of these about - will need a TEFL etc). Tourist visas are still an option too of course.

//Edit- Oh forgot to say, Hull are good with advice so send them an email and ask what they need for option 'A' - though it says quite clearly 'lease' or 'rental agreement' //

Edited by wolf5370

Thanks wolf but I'm aware of all of the above and will likely proceed for the "reside in Thailand" option when the time comes. Lopburi3 was only pointing out that some people were reporting that this lease option may not be a long term deal and is only available through the Hull Consulate at present. Will have to see nearer the time and watch out for other feedback meantime.