Quality Of Life In Chiang Rai

DonaldBattles

I have lived and worked in 30 countries and for 28 years in 9 provinces in Thailand. I firmly believe that the quality of life in Chiang Rai is as good as you are going to find anywhere. Now 27 former customers from Phuket have moved to Chiang Rai. Let the government continue to spend all of it's money promoting Chiang Mai which is OK with me. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to live in Chiang Rai and I will always be appreciative. After 41 days ind 6 states visit in the USA I am even more convinced that we are better off. I am looking forward to spending more time enjoying Chiang Rai. You won't hear me complain. It is a good time to meet a friend and say hello. Thank you Chiang Rai.

Don

• Like 1

Well said Don,

I lived in Chiang Mai for over five years with my family and we moved back to Chiang Rai about five years ago.

I love the rural area where we have our family home, but it only takes us 20 minutes to get back into the hustle and bustle of city life if we need to.

All the other places are nice to visit but home is where the heart is and that is definitely Chiang Rai.

Cheers,

Garry

Sounds to me like you have 27 stalkers Don! Joking aside I think you are absolutely right. I have travelled to a fair few countries too and, although I miss the beach, CR is up there with any where I have been to before and am very lucky to be able to call it my home.

I absolutely agree with Don now that I have been spending the last 5 years in C'Rai off and on between the big mango. I miss the country life once I'm away for longer than 10 days. TAT is starting to promote the north and northeast and less for the beach resorts. C'Rai will change in the name of development but let's hope it does not progress too fast. Phuket, Samui, Pataya are for tourists and us to spend a few days. C'Rai is for long term residence and home.

Maybe my intuition is going to be right this time. I'm planning to visit the Rai for the first time this autumn because it's on my list. The reason is that I've gotten a very good impression of the province from all you C'Ralites. Another thing, I like rolling hills (and a few mountains) because that's what I grew up with and miss. And now that Donald Battles and others have spoken up so positively, I feel I can't afford to skip the north anymore. Looking forward to maybe seeing some of you in October, even if we only pass each other in the mall.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Hi all, first time poster :-)

I agree, I was in CR for the first time in March this year (first time in TH too by the way)....after 3 days I knew CR is the place I want to live. Currently living on main-land Europe (we English still say 'England and Europe' lol) now desperately trying to arrange the finances to return for good. Met some xpats while I was there and felt very welcome, met some Thai people...and felt very welcome. Went to CM for 2 days during my stay, took the bus back to CR and really felt that I was 'going home' (I guess, reading the posts here, I'm not the only one). So, hope to be there within the next two years (the sooner the better).

regards, TC (not the New York alley cat cool.gif)

Actually, it is in the middle of a pond.

Hmmm, then that would definitely cause a problem for parking :lol:

But it would be nice to know how to get there without chasing my tail and stop my children getting on my back to be fed :D :jap:

Okay. I checked the map. It is exactly where it shows on the map. There is also a sign there. Can't say how many kilos it is from the Hong Lee/Den Ha stop lights on 1211 but it is a ways out there and it is past the prison, but not far past the prison. Where you see that road split, that is the place. Bear to the left on that split and look for the sign right there. If I recall correctly, there is a Don's sign visible right at the split. The highway out there actually has a number but I can't recall what it is. If you get ready to go and aren't sure, let me know ahead of time. I am on your way and can lead you out there. PM me for more help.

kandahar

Okay. I checked the map. It is exactly where it shows on the map. There is also a sign there. Can't say how many kilos it is from the Hong Lee/Den Ha stop lights on 1211 but it is a ways out there and it is past the prison, but not far past the prison. Where you see that road split, that is the place. Bear to the left on that split and look for the sign right there. If I recall correctly, there is a Don's sign visible right at the split. The highway out there actually has a number but I can't recall what it is. If you get ready to go and aren't sure, let me know ahead of time. I am on your way and can lead you out there. PM me for more help.

kandahar

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot next time I'm home (couple of weeks). appreciated :)

I agree, I was in CR for the first time in March this year (first time in TH too by the way)....after 3 days I knew CR is the place I want to live. Currently living on main-land Europe (we English still say 'England and Europe' lol) now desperately trying to arrange the finances to return for good. Met some xpats while I was there and felt very welcome, met some Thai people...and felt very welcome. Went to CM for 2 days during my stay, took the bus back to CR and really felt that I was 'going home' (I guess, reading the posts here, I'm not the only one). So, hope to be there within the next two years (the sooner the better).

Good for you Cap, I'm currently on that small island off the coast of Europe :) hoping to do the same as you.

All the best.

Biff

It's 10 kms, take the left fork and turn into the driveway of the house immediately after the fork.

I always watch the spectacular hill on your right, once you're past that you're there.

Wonder if the dogs got the sack as well? B)

Good for you Cap, I'm currently on that small island off the coast of Europe :) hoping to do the same as you.

same here on that small island europe manchester

been coming to the rai 4 years now

wife been with me in england 2 and a half years

hopefully two more years and be living there full time

we arrive next time november

see you then

charlie

All the best.

Biff

It's 10 kms, take the left fork and turn into the driveway of the house immediately after the fork.

I always watch the spectacular hill on your right, once you're past that you're there.

Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind as well :)

Garry, I'd tend to take that road all the way to the end (national park) on the Motorcy if you haven't already, and call at dons on the way back.

As for Quality of life, I used to be constantly on the move, wanderlust I think they call it. Still haven't found what I'm looking for , sort of thing. Now its a serious effort to move my arse anywhere else.

Chiang Rai seems to have everything I want, and if there's something else I want , it tend to appear as if by Magic.

Didn't someone say the " Rai's a state of mind ". maybe there's more than a little truth in it, or maybe I'm tripping again ;-)

It's a great drive, you can see the elephants across the river, and there's a nice little village at the Park/hot springs.

Trying to follow the road through to Mai Ai/ThaTon is on my "to do" list one day.

Edited by sceadugenga

Garry, I'd tend to take that road all the way to the end (national park) on the Motorcy if you haven't already, and call at dons on the way back.

As for Quality of life, I used to be constantly on the move, wanderlust I think they call it. Still haven't found what I'm looking for , sort of thing. Now its a serious effort to move my arse anywhere else.

Chiang Rai seems to have everything I want, and if there's something else I want , it tend to appear as if by Magic.

Didn't someone say the " Rai's a state of mind ". maybe there's more than a little truth in it, or maybe I'm tripping again ;-)

It's a great drive, you can see the elephants across the river, and there's a nice little village at the Park/hot springs.

Trying to follow the road through to Mai Ai/ThaTon is on my "to do" list one day.

Must try it when I get back home :)

Hi Scea,Tha Ton well worth the trip,here"s a little taster.

I love ThaTon, I took what I consider to be one of my best photos there.

How are you going with the Picaso program?

IMG_0565.JPG

Great photo Scea,im not into that Picasa,i did download it and had a play around but wasn,t my thing,im not knocking it or anything i just didn't like the way it separated all my pics,which meant i would have to make new folders and rename them,that would have taken ages so i'm just gonna stick with (Wizard) that came with the comp,maybe it was me that clicked something i shouldn't have,told you i was pat and mick when it comes to cameras and comps,thanks anyway mate,if ever your passing by for your noodles down by the Maekhong and you have the time and you feel like a visit please feel free.

Cheers. PS took this today while having my coffee fix.

Just got back from Dons. The parking is still a little hard to find because it is over grown but it is there. It looks like it belongs to the neighbors but apparently not. The bunnies are mostly gone as the dog enjoyed killing them and did not see any the usual geese . Floor is new and everything in eating area looks newish. Bought some italian sausage and big dill pickles. I try making my own pickles here but haven't quite mastered it yet.

I am quessing that it is more like a half kilo after the Y (prison road?) before the exit to Don's parking lot.