Required Money To Visit Us

Entering the US, immigration always ask how much money you are carrying.

How much do I need?

I am planning a visit to the US with my family (3 PAX).

I can enter US without a visa, I'm from a country that has a visa waver.

Intend to stay 90 days.

Will be staying with immediate family in US

Have an brokerage account in US with >6K

I suspect no hard lines drawn, but would like some idea of how much they make expect to be carrying to allow a 90 stay.

User experiences welcome too!

Thanks

T

I think they are fishing for people who maybe bringing in large sums of money and didn't claim it on the customs form. It is not illigal to carry as much money as you want if it is above 10,000dollars just have proof of how you came into this amount, bank withdrawal slip and or a letter from your bank.

When I departed for Thailand in Feb. customs agents were on the departing gate before boarding asking people how much money they had on them. The 10 or 12 trips to Thailand before this never happen before.

not to worry if you are carrying less than $10,000 US currency or any monetary instrument (travelers cheque), money order etc. (Personal checks can be carried without scrutiny).

If you are carrying a value over $10,000 in currencies (single currency or combined i.e. dollar, euro, yen) you must fill out a form;

FinCEN Form 105, previous was called form 4790. You can google this form. If you are unable to print or obtain this form, request this form as you approach US customs

check point and ask the agent for this form.

Also fill out the standard customs declaration form 6059B to your best of knowledge, specify all food items. meat, chicken, vegetables,fruits are prohibited and subject to a

penalty fine. (check dept.of Agriculture)

Thank you for your responses, but I was more curious regarding a minimum amount required.

This question was asked by immigration inspector, in addition to customs declaration form.

Thank you

T

There is no minimum amount. Just have a credit card or a pre-paid hotel receipt. They will obviously question people that look desolate with no means of support. Example: dirty,shoeless, shoddy dressed with no access to money. :D

This is off topic, but I just wanted to make sure you know about the new ESTA pre-approval process for people coming to the U.S. under the visa waiver programme. If not check out this link www.esta.us

Sophon

I think they are fishing for people who maybe bringing in large sums of money and didn't claim it on the customs form. It is not illigal to carry as much money as you want if it is above 10,000dollars just have proof of how you came into this amount, bank withdrawal slip and or a letter from your bank.

When I departed for Thailand in Feb. customs agents were on the departing gate before boarding asking people how much money they had on them. The 10 or 12 trips to Thailand before this never happen before.

Obama is despered for money.

But as a foreigner you can have a US Bankaccount, so send some money from here via bank transfer. Go over the border with 100 USD in your pocked and noone can give you any troubles.