International Baccalaureate

Looking at the giants in the field, many of them are 'IB' schools. There are 16 schools who use the International Baccalaureate system in Thailand. From what I have heard from teachers who attend the Search Assoc. Job fair in January many of these top schools are looking for IB experience before they hire you.

For those who don't know, an I.B. school follows a set curriculum which is used by over 3000 schools worldwide. - www.ibo.org

Myself: I have been working at an international program at a government school in Bangkok for the last 5 years. I have a TEFL, a B.A. in Media Arts and I am about to finish my Masters in Education (via online next May). The job I have now is great. Decent pay, low contact hours, good teachers and admin. However, once I finish my masters I feel like I would like to step it up and work at a 'real' international school. - I've recently started a family and would like to break the 100K+ barrier...

Anybody have any further insight as to if an I.B. diploma/experience is necessary to get a job? Do I have a chance with my qualifications to land a job at a top school? I am specifically looking at Ruamrudee and Prem, but open to other options.

Here is a list of the schools in Thailand who use the I.B. system. Anyone work there able to give any insight? (PM totally acceptable)

American Pacific International School - Chiang Mai

Bangkok Patana School - Bangkok

British International School - Phuket

Concordian International School - Samutprakarn

Garden International School - Rayong

International School Bangkok - Nonthaburi

International School Eastern Seaboard - Chonburi

KIS International School - Bangkok

New International School of Thailand - Bangkok

Pan-Asia International School - Bangkok

Prem Tinsulanonda International School - Chiang Mai

Ruamrudee International School - Minburi, Bangkok

St. Andrews International School - Bangkok

St. Andrews International School Rayong - Rayong

The Regent's School - Chonburi

The Regent's School Bangkok - Bangkok

Edited by Shipwreck

I don't think discussing specific schools on this forum is really appropriate, but the schools on your list vary wildly. I don't work for a top International school, I teach English, but I've formed opinions from all the other teachers I've met whilst working in Bangkok.

Is IB experience necessary to work at a school on your list? it depends on the school and the specific job, obviously. You want to be IB Math coordinator? Yes. You want to teach KG at the same school? I think they'll let you pass. If remuneration is your focus, and you think you'll get more heading up IB than teaching early-years, you're in for a big shock. It depends on your experience, qualifications and chosen age-group. The best indicator of salary is to look at the school fees; the higher the fees, the higher the salaries.

Teachers achieve the highest salary by being hired from abroad - those who stay work for less. It's recent, current experience of the educational system in the country the school follows which counts, IB or not. In truth, teachers on large expat salaries are the life-blood of schools in Thailand and end up sacrificing far more professionally by leaving their home country than they are ever compensated for financially by working in Thailand. Schools in their home country are rarely interested in 'bringing back' anyone who has taken their feet out of the water for a while. Teachers will probably face a time temping as supply/fill-in teachers before they land a full-time job when they return home. For example, Patana is for British children amongst others, it follows the UK National Curriculum and hires British teachers who are fully qualified with experience of teaching GCSEs and A-levels, and it's one of the highest paying on your list, so there's no magic forumla.

Thank you for replying.

I would think it was ok to discuss schools if not in a positive/negative light...no? Is it against forum rules to say: "School X really likes to see I.B. qualifications."? I'm not asking for opinions on schools, just basic facts. Perhaps there is another place on the net I can get an overview of these schools? None of the teaching in Thailand forums seemed to fit the bill so I thought posting here would get me the best exposure.

Good point about the upper grades being more I.B. relevant. I currently teach lower-elementary school and have no interest in teaching high school.

I also agree that home country experience is very sought after. Unfortunately all of my teaching experience comes from Thailand and I have no interest in returning to the west to teach.

So, seeing that I have a few strikes against me, I thought it might be wise to take one of the I.B. courses offered online to give my resume a boost. Anybody have any experience with those?

One of the best ways to get IB experience is to take a position at a school in a less desirable location (middle east, africa, etc).

I have several friends who worked as IB instructors in Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Africa and then went for schools in Asia.

One of the best ways to get IB experience is to take a position at a school in a less desirable location (middle east, africa, etc).

I have several friends who worked as IB instructors in Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Africa and then went for schools in Asia.

I concur. Definitely the best way to get IB experience and the training.

I would have to strongly disagree about Dubai being 'less desirable' though! :D

Edited by Phatcharanan

I have talked to the wife about the possibility about moving to the mid-east/Africa for a few years... I get mixed - not so happy reaction to the idea.

I would prefer to avoid doing this if possible.

Basically I am wondering If I is possible to secure a job at one of those locations with my experience - PM totally acceptable. smile.gif

I think a tough road lay ahead for you. I have worked in an EP for almost 10 years, and completed a grad dip ed (as a distance student), in 2008. That qualifies me to teach in an Australian school. I applied to several top tier and second tier schools here in LoS last year and couldn't secure one interview. Note some of these positions pay only 20-30% more than I get now, and I assume will involve a larger amount of work. To get these jobs you really need experience in a western school or in another international school. I fully understand your desire to move up the ladder, but I also have a family so its not so easy to go back to the West to get that needed experience. If all else faile, private teaching is another way to boost your income and keep your current job. Best of luck!