Tourists Pouring Into Samui

No I'm not a native English speaker indeed.

Funnily enough the majority of people I meet fly in to Samui on package deals, mainly from Europe, that includes almost all of my friends and the majority of people I meet on Samui, due to my work, almost all of them all have pre booked tickets to Samui.

If you read my previous comments in this thread, than you will see that I didn't tried to justify BA ticket prices. I think the prices are too expensive and do cost the island revenue, what I'm trying to point out is that for a lot of people visiting Samui, the ticket price BKK-USM is not really a consideration since it's pre booked in a Western country and not anywhere near the rate of what we have to pay when we book inside Thailand.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the rate of development, so many rooms added each year since 2004, they will never be full. Same goes for bars & restaurants.The word OVERSUPPLY comes to mind.

No I'm not a native English speaker indeed.

Funnily enough the majority of people I meet fly in to Samui on package deals, mainly from Europe, that includes almost all of my friends and the majority of people I meet on Samui, due to my work, almost all of them all have pre booked tickets to Samui.

If you read my previous comments in this thread, than you will see that I didn't tried to justify BA ticket prices. I think the prices are too expensive and do cost the island revenue, what I'm trying to point out is that for a lot of people visiting Samui, the ticket price BKK-USM is not really a consideration since it's pre booked in a Western country and not anywhere near the rate of what we have to pay when we book inside Thailand.

exactly, that's the case with a huge part of all tourists on the island.

Most package tourists are here with breakfast incl. Although the hotels try their best to keep them, with e.g. discounts like paying 10.000 in advance for F&B and Spa worth 15.000 and so on, most still eat outside and today the amount of restaurants everwhere is unbelievable huge.

Maybe Crusty isn't giving ridiculous discounts ( to keep his occupancy stats up for his BKK boss: he doesn't have one!) so his occupancy rate is right.

I wanted to ask if you're offering discounts....but I guess your occupancy rates are unaffected! :P

yeah. I'm doing my bit to get the tourists to part with their cash. At the moment, I'm offering "buy 2 ladies, get 1 free". It's working very well.:rolleyes:

Do you mean you are SELLING ladies? Proud of this!

bkk airs USM fares (or should they be called 'not fairs'?) cannot be justified by using the 'it's included in the package holiday' card. there's loads of holidaymakers/tourists that aren't on a package holiday.

I - and EVERYONE I know who holidays in thailand - only buy a flight to BKK then take it from there.

I've spent many a day on my laptop in BKK tutting at bkk air USM prices before booking a flight to HKT/KBV/CNX for a fraction of the price.

Maybe you should compsoe a few letters and send them to Bangkok Airways outlining your ongoing! complaints with their pricing structure.....a bit more constructive than repeatedly telling us all what we already know.

Who knows perhaps they'll give you a freebie.....but don't hold your breath!! :D

At the very least you'll get some closure from it.....better still so might the rest of the posters here.......:P

Edited by smokie36

other than Samui as a personal exemple in Hua Hin most of the bangkokian had a good time and regardless of their presence Hotels certainlay were not over long wekend mostly full, the beach quite populated but was not full all the way with some rain, grey sky and no road traffic to return dinner time on tuesday from it.

The air costs to go Bangkok to Samui is affecting the choice tourists are making because Phukett flights are so much cheaper and numerous.

Samui problem is Bangkok Air first. Of course the locals Samui are nervous and even more greedy ready for a short catch therefore Samui is not a paradise nearer to hel_l for holiday seekers adventuring if only to rent a jeep.

lower hotel prices is not an enough incentive we do need more and especially a good police etc....

I used to go 4 times a year minimum ten days each and now the past 4 years once a year one week only and not sure for this year,

Looking for major changes to be implemented seriously prior trusting to have good holidays in Samui ( no dream ).

other than Samui as a personal exemple in Hua Hin most of the bangkokian had a good time and regardless of their presence Hotels certainlay were not over long wekend mostly full, the beach quite populated but was not full all the way with some rain, grey sky and no road traffic to return dinner time on tuesday from it.

The air costs to go Bangkok to Samui is affecting the choice tourists are making because Phukett flights are so much cheaper and numerous.

Samui problem is Bangkok Air first. Of course the locals Samui are nervous and even more greedy ready for a short catch therefore Samui is not a paradise nearer to hel_l for holiday seekers adventuring if only to rent a jeep.

lower hotel prices is not an enough incentive we do need more and especially a good police etc....

I used to go 4 times a year minimum ten days each and now the past 4 years once a year one week only and not sure for this year,

Looking for major changes to be implemented seriously prior trusting to have good holidays in Samui ( no dream ).

If you're waiting for major changes to implemented on Samui before you come again, I would look for another destination. You might get an Old Peoples Discount next time you visit.:rolleyes:

Edited by screamingeagle

Is this the "TV Everyones agreeing with Carmine day"........i'm not used to this, it's starting to freak me out!!!!!!:blink::D

Maybe it's time for a controversial post.....wheres Rooo :lol:

You want a controversial post? This should get everyone going -

ALERT Samui Hotels Up USD25.5 Million In First Half Of 2010

A sharp upswing in visitor arrivals to the resort island Koh Samui translated into a USD25.5 million increase in hotel room revenue in the first six months of this year compared to H1 2009, according to research by leading consulting firm C9 Hotelworks' Samui 2010 Hotel Market Update.

Full report here:

http://www.c9hotelwo...update-2010.pdf

UNQUOTE

Edited by Rooo
Trimmed quotation.Rooo.

Is this the "TV Everyones agreeing with Carmine day"........i'm not used to this, it's starting to freak me out!!!!!!:blink::D

Maybe it's time for a controversial post.....wheres Rooo :lol:

You want a controversial post? This should get everyone going -

ALERT Samui Hotels Up USD25.5 Million In First Half Of 2010

A sharp upswing in visitor arrivals to the resort island Koh Samui translated into a USD25.5 million increase in hotel room revenue in the first six months of this year compared to H1 2009, according to research by leading consulting firm C9 Hotelworks' Samui 2010 Hotel Market Update.

Full report here:

http://www.c9hotelwo...update-2010.pdf

UNQUOTE

I wonder who paid for the market research????:annoyed:

Edited by screamingeagle

bkk airs USM fares (or should they be called 'not fairs'?) cannot be justified by using the 'it's included in the package holiday' card. there's loads of holidaymakers/tourists that aren't on a package holiday.

I - and EVERYONE I know who holidays in thailand - only buy a flight to BKK then take it from there.

I've spent many a day on my laptop in BKK tutting at bkk air USM prices before booking a flight to HKT/KBV/CNX for a fraction of the price.

Maybe you should compsoe a few letters and send them to Bangkok Airways outlining your ongoing! complaints with their pricing structure.....a bit more constructive than repeatedly telling us all what we already know.

Who knows perhaps they'll give you a freebie.....but don't hold your breath!! :D

At the very least you'll get some closure from it.....better still so might the rest of the posters here.......:P

:lol: oh dear mr smokie - time of the month?

selective amnesia too - I quote your contribution from another thread:

With prices at nearly 5000 Baht one way near three times the cost to Phuket for example who could blame anyone for staying away?....just plain crazy!!

and what does 'compsoe' mean?

if you're gonna get smart, do it properly. ;)

i left Samui after 8 years 5 months ago, basically out of boredom now live in chon Buri about 5 miles out of Pattaya, the first thing you notice is how much cheaper it is, 10 baht song tow, 139 baht hour trip to airport, dont see many taxis, but only 800 baht for the trip to swamppy, 45 baht for a san mig in air can bar and yesterday 52 baht English breakfast. but still despite it being that cheap basically its prity dead so its not just Samui it prity well every where. even the bars in walking street its not unusual to be in a bar on your own with 50-60 staff. unlees there all in Phuket its the whole country including Samui. its just dear with the exchange rates, plus Samui has they way to expensive airline who i have vowed never to use again.

I can't coment on Tourists Pouring Into Samui other than traffic never seems to slow down, but maybe pouring out.

I just left for work and on my way out of the country, the flight fr Samui to Bkk was full (airbus) and

passport control in Bkk leaving the country was packed as well, most people I've ever seen there,

actually had to wait awhile in line.

• 5 weeks later...

Absolute crap...... Never trust anything any government official tells you. That's any country in the world. Lying through their gold filled teeth. Samui is deathly quiet.... Some hotels may be full (ish), but that's because of the incredible discounts. So the hotels are full of "cheap charlie"guests who buy their food and drink in Familly Mart. They don't go to the hotel restaurant or bar (where the money is to be made). They use the air con in their rooms and actually cost the hotel more than they make from these guests.

Tourists pouring into Samui. My arse!:angry:

Another Bull---t article in yesterdays newspaper about a "surge" in tourism in Samui this year. Of course it quotes a farang property developer and his C9Hotelworks company who always talks up the figures. The truth is this time last year we were 85% full and this year lucky to see 10%. And as far as his "Samui's days of the backpacker are over" and now all the five star resorts are booming. In case you haven't noticed, on Chaweng Beach road there is a never ending parade of backpackers and they are all looking for Baht 400 -600 rooms. Everyone else I know in the business reports the same dismal figures.

Absolute crap...... Never trust anything any government official tells you. That's any country in the world. Lying through their gold filled teeth. Samui is deathly quiet.... Some hotels may be full (ish), but that's because of the incredible discounts. So the hotels are full of "cheap charlie"guests who buy their food and drink in Familly Mart. They don't go to the hotel restaurant or bar (where the money is to be made). They use the air con in their rooms and actually cost the hotel more than they make from these guests.

Another Bull---t article in yesterdays newspaper about a "surge" in tourism in Samui this year. Of course it quotes a farang property developer and his C9Hotelworks company who always talks up the figures. The truth is this time last year we were 85% full and this year lucky to see 10%. And as far as his "Samui's days of the backpacker are over" and now all the five star resorts are booming. In case you haven't noticed, on Chaweng Beach road there is a never ending parade of backpackers and they are all looking for Baht 400 -600 rooms. Everyone else I know in the business reports the same dismal figures.

Figures of C9 by BB are total crap, I agree. Chaweng Beach Road is dead, some hotels are doing better than 10% (wait for THA figures) but not even close to 2009....5 star booming ??? My a.. ! How many real 5 stars are there on Samui ? When you talk hardware, yeap, could agree on a few, rates as well, but soft ware (service) is a joke.....nowhere near a real 5 star compared to BKK.

What's the solution to this one governor? The backpackers might not be the 5* dream tourists but at least when there were cheap rooms on the beach the bars were busy in the evening and the place had a real buzz to it.

I wonder if we'll ever see that return to Samui....:(

EDIT: And its not just backpackers.....groups of lads who want a two/three week break who want to cut down on travel/accom costs and spend more on booze /girls etc are going going gone as well.....to me these are also an important target group for Samui....well governor? :rolleyes:

Edited by smokie36

What's the solution to this one governor? The backpackers might not be the 5* dream tourists but at least when there were cheap rooms on the beach the bars were busy in the evening and the place had a real buzz to it.

I wonder if we'll ever see that return to Samui....:(

EDIT: And its not just backpackers.....groups of lads who want a two/three week break who want to cut down on travel/accom costs and spend more on booze /girls etc are going going gone as well.....to me these are also an important target group for Samui....well governor? :rolleyes:

Well first of all Smokie you conduct a Feasability Study or a Business Plan to see if the numbers add up. They don't ! I see restaurants or bars shutting down daily on the Beach Road. What most studies don't dial in is the half hourly boom box boat blasting guests from their deck chairs, then the dozens of boom box vehicles, then the mafia taxis, then hundreds of jet skis to dodge while swimming then ...........sorry, it's gone already ! :angry:

Edited by crusty

Its time to flatten Chaweng and turn the area into an International airport.....direct flights from Europe and Oz for the mass market...ching ching!!

It might be ridiculous but so is the lack of forward planning on Samui now. As crusty says it has gone but this won't be recognised until the well is completely dry.

As for the so called 5* hotels on the beach road all fancy frontage and little else...very little difference in the 3000-15000 Baht a night places....most are a complete rip-off.

I noticed a few bars fairly full in Maenam, on Saturday.... rare sight.... but many restaurants are very slow.... Some resorts around me, seem to be 1/3 to 1/2 full. But I hear they have dropped prices drastically... better some money than none!

Interesting that one of the boat companies I know, took about 700 people to the FMP, last week ...they run boats back & forth all night... & that's about an average for the FMP, during the summer months, so there are people hiding somewhere! :unsure:

Edited by samuijimmy

Interesting that one of the boat companies I know, took about 700 people to the FMP, last week ! :unsure:

A good point. The FMP will always attract people, but they only stay a few nights sadly and then move on.

Maybe now is the time to start a more productive thread entitled "what can we do about it?"

We are all reliant on tourists - for many reasons. And many of the reasons why they are not here right now are outside of our control: the Baht, recession, riots, better alternatives etc etc etc.:(

This is not a criticism, or a negative comment, but a serious question. What can WE do to try and make things better? I don't work here, but I see every day businesses struggling. I see the arguments about 'my hotel is better than yours'. And maybe some people are doing just fine. But I can't believe that is the majority? I find it painful to walk past empty restaurants.

I want to see happy people having good times. We all benefit. Well I do anyway - my favourite bar will not close, nor that local noodle stall and Tescos will stock my chocolate. All important things I might say!!:rolleyes:

But most of us will suffer if this continues. Is there anything any of us can do to try and make things better?

If there is .... then you can count me in for support!

And if there isn't .... then I will continue drinking my wine.:jap:

Interesting that one of the boat companies I know, took about 700 people to the FMP, last week ! :unsure:

A good point. The FMP will always attract people, but they only stay a few nights sadly and then move on.

Maybe now is the time to start a more productive thread entitled "what can we do about it?"

We are all reliant on tourists - for many reasons. And many of the reasons why they are not here right now are outside of our control: the Baht, recession, riots, better alternatives etc etc etc.:(

This is not a criticism, or a negative comment, but a serious question. What can WE do to try and make things better? I don't work here, but I see every day businesses struggling. I see the arguments about 'my hotel is better than yours'. And maybe some people are doing just fine. But I can't believe that is the majority? I find it painful to walk past empty restaurants.

I want to see happy people having good times. We all benefit. Well I do anyway - my favourite bar will not close, nor that local noodle stall and Tescos will stock my chocolate. All important things I might say!!:rolleyes:

But most of us will suffer if this continues. Is there anything any of us can do to try and make things better?

If there is .... then you can count me in for support!

And if there isn't .... then I will continue drinking my wine.:jap:

Excellent response.... !

So was it you that finished the Dark Chocolate bars at Tesco, they've not had a new shipment in for weeks! :o:(

The other day one of my favorite restaurants, phoned me because I had not been in for a couple of weeks.... guilt tripped me in to going... oh well it was a good meal.... :D but it is hard to support everybody, all of the time.... I like to support the places I like, when I can.

I talk to these restaurateurs about "promotions" ... and is there neighborhood ways of getting people in to an area.... (Local community Associations) ... but I suppose mixing Thai's & Farangs to come up with promotional ideas would be difficult... of course part of it is there are just too many choices of bars & restaurants.

But it depends on the type of tourists and what they want when they are here, some prefer the quite of the "Jungle resorts" others the .... nosier places... some places have small kitchens so I guess some people just eat in or order in!

Some I do know, do quite well on Meal delivery, so that helps. So an empty restaurant , is not always doing no business... & that saves their bacon!