Fog Lights In Bangkok

I guess I'll answer my own question, managed to find below from a local forum:

Greatly appreciate if anyone can provide more information.

กฎกระทรวง เรื่อง อุปกรณ์สำหรับรถยนต์

กฎกระทรวง

ฉบับที่ ๒๒ (พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๗)

...ออกตามความในพระราชบัญญัติรถยนตร์ พ.ศ. ๒๕๒๒

ข้อ ๓ รถยนตร์อาจมีเครื่องอุปกรณ์อื่นสำหรับรถได้ภายใต้เงื่อนไขดังต่อไปนี้

(ง) โคมไฟตัดหมอก แสงขาวหรือเหลืองอ่อน จำนวนไม่เกิน ๒ ดวง ติดที่หน้ารถสูงจากผิวทางไม่น้อยกว่า ๒๕ เซนติเมตร

แต่อยู่สูงไม่เกินโคมไฟแสงพุ่งต่ำ ถ้ามี ๑ ดวง ให้ติดที่กึ่งกลางหน้ารถ แต่ถ้ามี ๒ ดวง ให้ติดในระดับเดียวกัน และห่างจาก

แนวกึ่งกลางหน้ารถเท่ากันทั้งสองข้าง โคมไฟทุกดวงจะต้องให้แสงสีเดียวกัน โคมไฟตัดหมอกจะให้แสงสว่างได้เฉพาะ

ในขณะที่โคมไฟแสดงความกว้างของรถและโคมไฟท้ายให้แสงสว่างด้วยเท่านั้น ศูนย์รวมแสงตั้งอยู่ต่ำกว่าแนวขนานกับพื้นทางราบ

ไม่น้อยกว่า ๒ องศา หรือ ๐.๒๐ เมตร ในระยะ ๗.๕๐ เมตร และไม่เฉไปทางขวา

กฎกระทรวง เรื่อง อุปกรณ์สำหรับรถยนต์ ..........

Can you translate please, as Google makes no sense whatever.

I had to get it translated back to me, but I'll try to explain in short:

The law allows for fog light installations on vehicles, it does go in certain depth on the technical issues as to avoid abuse or to cause harm onto others, ie: blinding on coming traffic, etc.

Sometime ago, there was a written article on some publications (online or otherwise) about fog light usage, the article was a bit biased but did mention of "ทั้งนี้ตามกฎกระทรวง ฉบับที่ 15 (พ.ศ.2536) ตาม พ.ร.บ.จราจรฯ มาตรา 5, 11, 61" / "The Ministerial Regulation No. 15 (BE 2536) of the Act's Traffic Section 5, 11, 61". I don't have Traffic Regulation Act, but the article in short did mention the usage of fog lights. Fog lights maybe used in certain road conditions deemed neccessary but may not cause harm onto others (blinding on coming traffic). Fog lights should be used in conjuction with Auxilary lights (fog lights alone may not be used when driving).

All in all, it's common sense. I see some people fitting their fog lights with HID/Xenon lights, which can be blinding to on coming traffic. But I do see factory installed fog lights, such as the newer Camry's, and they are just fine. Though, it does give a reason for cops to stop people at random for leaving the fog lights on, blinding or otherwise.

The law allows for fog light installations on vehicles, it does go in certain depth on the technical issues as to avoid abuse or to cause harm onto others, ie: blinding on coming traffic, etc.

Sometime ago, there was a written article on some publications (online or otherwise) about fog light usage, the article was a bit biased but did mention of "ทั้งนี้ตามกฎกระทรวง ฉบับที่ 15 (พ.ศ.2536) ตาม พ.ร.บ.จราจรฯ มาตรา 5, 11, 61" / "The Ministerial Regulation No. 15 (BE 2536) of the Act's Traffic Section 5, 11, 61". I don't have Traffic Regulation Act, but the article in short did mention the usage of fog lights. Fog lights maybe used in certain road conditions deemed neccessary but may not cause harm onto others (blinding on coming traffic). Fog lights should be used in conjuction with Auxilary lights (fog lights alone may not be used when driving).

All in all, it's common sense. I see some people fitting their fog lights with HID/Xenon lights, which can be blinding to on coming traffic. But I do see factory installed fog lights, such as the newer Camry's, and they are just fine. Though, it does give a reason for cops to stop people at random for leaving the fog lights on, blinding or otherwise.

Most front bumper lights on cars in LOS (exept imported german brands like BMW, etc) aren't fog lights anyway. They are just spot lights. Foglights in Eruope have vertical rippeled glasslenses to create a close to 180 degree bright but not more far than 30m light. Bumberlights in LOS are mostly clear lenses with a long, small light, similar as a additional spot light. The problem is that many peaple overhere, including some officials and carproducers not really know what is the difference between a spot light and fog light. Speccially in the accessory marked (sometime china made) for all the local cars, you barely find real fog lights overhere.

Most front bumper lights on cars in LOS (exept imported german brands like BMW, etc) aren't fog lights anyway. They are just spot lights. Foglights in Eruope have vertical rippeled glasslenses to create a close to 180 degree bright but not more far than 30m light. Bumberlights in LOS are mostly clear lenses with a long, small light, similar as a additional spot light. The problem is that many peaple overhere, including some officials and carproducers not really know what is the difference between a spot light and fog light. Speccially in the accessory marked (sometime china made) for all the local cars, you barely find real fog lights overhere.

Interesting, I wonder if there are distinctions in the law regarding spot lights and fog lights? The sections I read only implies to fog lights... interesting... i guess further reading and investigations required.

I hate those idiot drivers that drive in normal conditions with their fog lamps on. Traveling at night behind a car with a bright red rear fog light blazing is even worse. Sometimes I wish I had a hand gun! :D

กฎกระทรวง

ฉบับที่ ๒๒ (พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๗)

(ง) โคมไฟตัดหมอก แสงขาวหรือเหลืองอ่อน จำนวนไม่เกิน ๒ ดวง ติดที่หน้ารถสูงจากผิวทางไม่น้อยกว่า ๒๕ เซนติเมตร

แต่อยู่สูงไม่เกินโคมไฟแสงพุ่งต่ำ ถ้ามี ๑ ดวง ให้ติดที่กึ่งกลางหน้ารถ แต่ถ้ามี ๒ ดวง ให้ติดในระดับเดียวกัน และห่างจาก

แนวกึ่งกลางหน้ารถเท่ากันทั้งสองข้าง โคมไฟทุกดวงจะต้องให้แสงสีเดียวกัน โคมไฟตัดหมอกจะให้แสงสว่างได้เฉพาะ

ในขณะที่โคมไฟแสดงความกว้างของรถและโคมไฟท้ายให้แสงสว่างด้วยเท่านั้น ศูนย์รวมแสงตั้งอยู่ต่ำกว่าแนวขนานกับพื้นทางราบ

Don't take this as a perfectly legal translation, but it's accurate enough for the discussion here :)

• Ministerial Regulation no. 22 (2537) under the Vehicle Act of 2522.
  • Article 3: A vehicle may have other equipment installed under the following conditions:
  • D) Fog lights of yellow or white color, not exceeding two units, not less than 25 centimeters above the pavement, and not higher than the low-beam headlights. If only one foglight is installed it must be in the center of the vehicle, but if two are installed they must be installed equidistant from the center line of the vehicle. All foglights must be the same color, and are only allowed to contain a single lamp each. Foglights can only be illuminated when the main headlights and tailights are also illuminated. The center of the foglight beam must be not less than 2 degrees or 0.2 meters under the horizontal plane parallel to the ground, can lluminate for a distance not exceeding 7.5 meters, and must not yaw to the right.

There's no specific mention of whether it's illegal to have the foglights on under any particular circumstances - all that's stated is that they can only be on when the headlights and tailights are also illuminated. There could be another regulation that's pertinant but not yet posted, so this may not be definitive.

Also for those differentiating between fog lights, spot lights, driving lights etc, in Thai language there is no distinction between these - they are all collectively referred to as "ไฟตัดหมอก" (fai dud mhog) - which when literally translated means "a light that cuts through fog".

กฎกระทรวง

ฉบับที่ ๒๒ (พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๗)

Don't take this as a perfectly legal translation, but it's accurate enough for the discussion here :)

• Article 3: A vehicle may have other equipment installed under the following conditions:
  • D) Fog lights of yellow or white color, not exceeding two units, not less than 25 centimeters above the pavement, and not higher than the low-beam headlights. If only one foglight is installed it must be in the center of the vehicle, but if two are installed they must be installed equidistant from the center line of the vehicle. All foglights must be the same color, and are only allowed to contain a single lamp each. Foglights can only be illuminated when the main headlights and tailights are also illuminated. The center of the foglight beam must be not less than 2 degrees or 0.2 meters under the horizontal plane parallel to the ground, can lluminate for a distance not exceeding 7.5 meters, and must not yaw to the right.

There's no specific mention of whether it's illegal to have the foglights on under any particular circumstances - all that's stated is that they can only be on when the headlights and tailights are also illuminated. There could be another regulation that's pertinant but not yet posted, so this may not be definitive.

Also for those differentiating between fog lights, spot lights, driving lights etc, in Thai language there is no distinction between these - they are all collectively referred to as "ไฟตัดหมอก" (fai dud mhog) - which when literally translated means "a light that cuts through fog".

all homoleg vehicles in LOS having fog lights come with CE/DOT approved lights. Thats 25-30 meters range as I recall, close to 180 degrees pattern, and can be used with parking lights, low beam or high beam depending on driving-condition. The pattern and range is on modern cars usually created by a bulb-hat, thus clear lense is possible.

Installing xenon foglights is plain silly, as its far to bright to be used in fog or rain 25-30 meters ahead, and the closest light source attracts the human eye, making driver see less of whats in front of him

On my VIGO, I use parkinglights and foglights driving high speed at daytime to be seen, since my headlights are very powerfull/bright/hot/powerconsuming.

กฎกระทรวง

ฉบับที่ ๒๒ (พ.ศ. ๒๕๓๗)

all homoleg vehicles in LOS having fog lights come with CE/DOT approved lights. Thats 25-30 meters range as I recall, close to 180 degrees pattern, and can be used with parking lights, low beam or high beam depending on driving-condition. The pattern and range is on modern cars usually created by a bulb-hat, thus clear lense is possible.

Installing xenon foglights is plain silly, as its far to bright to be used in fog or rain 25-30 meters ahead, and the closest light source attracts the human eye, making driver see less of whats in front of him

On my VIGO, I use parkinglights and foglights driving high speed at daytime to be seen, since my headlights are very powerfull/bright/hot/powerconsuming.

Problem is, that many sedan cars have front and rearfoglights connected on same switch, which means the rear ones are on as well and they are to strong for the car who comes behind.

I too drive with my lights on when going out of town, highways... Mainly to be seen so others don't run into me. It has worked out fine, and I do notice a difference.

I did my own research, driving daytime with and without my headlights on. On coming traffic will slow down or stay on their side of the lane when I have my lights on.

Thanks, MoonRiverOasis, for the additional legal info!

At night I must have the "fog lights" on - the main beams on the Pajero Sport are projectors, and because of their height/beam pattern they simply don't illuminate the first 6-7 meters of road at all. The fog lights have been designed with a beam pattern to fill-in that space perfectly however..

I did upgrade the main projector beams to 4300 Kelvin Xenons, but agree that putting Xenons in foglights (or any light with a reflector instead of projector for that matter) is not a good idea - the beam pattern with reflector lights will flood ("blow out") and you'll always end up blinding oncoming traffic.

Thanks, MoonRiverOasis, for the additional legal info!

You're welcome, but all I did is translate the block of Thai text you posted ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis