Secret Soi And Golden Triangle Hooligans Unite!

Just got back from an epic ride over the holiday weekend. Funny awesome trip!

22226787-L.jpg

Massage, nap, food and drugs and I'm feeling almost human again- the final slog through heavy holiday traffic from Nakhon Sawan to Bangkok today was draining but everyone made it home in one piece!

Have had a chance to edit a few pics motorcycle2_smilie.gif

Headed to Tak on Friday-

IMG_4929SSR.jpg

We made excellent time. Left the PTT near Don Muang around 0630 and reached Tak at about 0930. Blasted over the mountain to Mae Sot for lunch and then on up to Mae Sariang. Next time the boys want to do BKK-Mae Hong Song in a day icon_mrgreen.gif

SSR Hooligans in Mae Sariang-

072310SSRfuc_ktards2SSR.jpg

I think we were a bit much for that sleepy town because at some point they decided they'd had enough and shut the power off in the whole town... lol_sign.gif

072310SSRfuc_ktards1SSR.jpg

Not that that slowed us down much icon_mrgreen.gif

072310SSRfuc_ktardsSSR.jpg

Getting up the following morning was not easy, but the road beckoned and coffee at the Riverhouse Resort helped take the edge off while we waited for Franz and Nikster to arrive from Chiang Mai-

072410MaeSariangRiverhouseSSR.jpg

Mark, Luke and John arrived the previous day and rolled out a few minutes before us to gas up. Ready to roll!

072410MaeSariangRiverhouse1SSR.jpg

Here's the rest of the gang. Mark and Luke on Suzuki DRZ400s and John on a Kawasaki D-Tracker-

072410SSRGTRSSR.jpg

Wow- those DRZ400s look like wicked fun! And I've never seen a D-Tracker go as fast as John's. Very talented riders those GTR fellows!

072410SSRGTR1SSR.jpg

Alas some of the SSR Hooligans are a little less talented... icon_redface.gif

DunderDown1SSR.jpg

Rider wasn't hurt and the Ninja ZX10R came out remarkably unscathed. Dunder's still smiling! icon_mrgreen.gif

DunderDownSSR.jpg

A couple hilarious vids from BananaBoy-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhwHP2w-w1I

lol_sign.gif

Many more pics on the Golden Triangle site: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/ssr-hooligans-heading-north-july-23-26th-t7761.html

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Trenty with his vintage 1960's era yellow camel riding suit on the Fazer with a tote box. LMAO.

Oh Scuba. stop being so rough on Banana boy. It's circa 2006 Yamaha Camel Rossi suit not 1960's. And the top box is very suitable to carry his ego...... sorry his beers, my bad :D

What a ride! A few more pics!

Already I'm forgetting where this was- somewhere between Mae Hong Song and Pai I think?

072410SSRGTRMHSSSR.jpg

Nikster, Dirthonk, Mark and Tiger-

072410NikLukeMarkAndrewSSR.jpg

Gorgeous spot- Neil said he'll come back some day at a slower pace and enjoy some of the scenery. When you ride with the Hooligans it's all just a blur! lol_sign.gif

072410SSRGTRMHSZmSSR.jpg

Lots of smiling faces!

Wicked fun trying to keep up with Luke and Mark on their DRZ400s. Amazing how much speed they can carry into the corners. Those guys have mad skills and no fear dirtbike_smilie.gif

DirthonkVidCapSSR.jpg

Nikster kept up an impressive pace on his ER6n-

NicksterVidCapSm.jpg

Proof once again that the Kawasaki 650cc twin is a great bike for Thailand- great torque and perfect gearing for the twisty roads up north and yes, ABS can be a life saver!

I've never seen a D-Tracker go as fast as John's. Derestricted and an aftermarket pipe are the only mods. As is often the case it's the rider and not the bike! If he had a few more horsepower he'd certainly be out front with Mark and Luke.

DTrackerJohnVidCapSSR.jpg

Franz certainly turned heads with his hooligan loud Honda DR but have to agree that a 19" front just isn't conducive to his usual Austrian Speed Demon pace. icon_twisted.gif

FranzVidCapSSR.jpg

I hear he left the road once but fortunately no crash. Wish I could have seen that! shooting_smilie2.gif

Tiger was in good form on his Triumph Tiger 1050 but said he was missing his ZX10R and looking forward to buying a new "weapon" soon.

Highway120FrameSSR.jpg

Bananaboy on his Fizzer FZ6 was his usual goofy self but had serious competition in the comedy department from the crazy Swede lol_sign.gif

Highway120Frame1SSR.jpg

A real pleasure riding with Neil and his Triumph Sprint. Good guy and stunning bike-

Highway120FrameNeilSSR.jpg

I have a ton of video that I've not yet gone through so I'm sure I'll find some vidcaps of Mark and Bakerboy and Dunder.

The mechanical problems with the VFR are starting to get annoying... It's suffered electrical problems for several months now and we woke up bright and early on Sunday with plans to ride all the way to Loei only to discover that the VFR ate yet another battery and could only be started with jumper cables... icon_thumbdown.gif By the time jumper cables were purchased and a new, but apparently useless battery installed it was after 9 am... Then every time we stopped for gas we had to once again flag someone down for a jump... That got old very fast! So, in the end we rode CM to Phayao via the 118 and fantastic 120 then on to Chiang Kham and the fantastic 1148, arriving in Nan around 2pm. Pushing on to Loei seemed ill advised as we didn't want to ride in the dark and there was no guarantee we'd find people to jump start the VFR on the deserted roads between Nan and Loei. To his credit Bakerboy did pay for all of the beers on Sunday in Nan. Cheers! :burp:

And we got to enjoy the fantastic food at Hot Bread the next morning-

072610HotBreadNan1SSR.jpg

Good thing about group rides; when you drop your bike you got plenty of guys to help you get it back out! Good time on the first leg also; kinda rules me out tagging along on me 'lil Ninja....

And it certainly rules me out on my clunky Phantom with training wheels.

By the time I would get to the turnaround point you guys would be in a bar somewhere chugging beer. :(

Anyone else seeing some broken image links in the post...

Looks like a blast.. Just got up here myself with the blade to do some riding for a month.. The MHS loop is one on the shortlist already.. Will have my pillion tho so wont be trying to do it at high pace..

Then every time we stopped for gas we had to once again flag someone down for a jump... That got old very fast! So, in the end we rode CM to Phayao via the 118 and fantastic 120 then on to Chiang Kham and the fantastic 1148, arriving in Nan around 2pm. Pushing on to Loei seemed ill advised as we didn't want to ride in the dark and there was no guarantee we'd find people to jump start the VFR on the deserted roads between Nan and Loei.

I feel for the VFR guy. First group ride I went on mine was running very rich and had to be push started every time. I asked to be left behind but to their credit the guys insisted I stay with the group.

Great ride & report Tony...its a pity we didn't meet when you came past nakwan ...not much notice of telling 1 hr ahead really :-) . You know the weird thing is that we have passed each other on the 117 ! but even i turned around when next possible and drove as fast as i could on my virago ( that was about 160kph) i only could overtake those 3 Harley Guys you must have overtaken a few km's before reching nakwan.

Anyways hope to meet up next time and my old virago is getting ready to some riding too, still some minor adjustments are to be done but it is quite alright to do some short/medium spins already...time to play google maps again,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Then every time we stopped for gas we had to once again flag someone down for a jump... That got old very fast! So, in the end we rode CM to Phayao via the 118 and fantastic 120 then on to Chiang Kham and the fantastic 1148, arriving in Nan around 2pm. Pushing on to Loei seemed ill advised as we didn't want to ride in the dark and there was no guarantee we'd find people to jump start the VFR on the deserted roads between Nan and Loei.

I feel for the VFR guy. First group ride I went on mine was running very rich and had to be push started every time. I asked to be left behind but to their credit the guys insisted I stay with the group.

I feel for him too, but on the flip side his bike has had electrical problems now for several months so it's about time he gets it sorted or buys a new bike... Not easy to find a shop in Thailand that can diagnose and fix electronics on a VFR 800 though... I'm trying to talk him into buying my beast of a K6 so that I can buy a friends stunning K8 B)

My K6 on the right and the K8 for sale on the left:

PairOfGixxersSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Great ride & report Tony...its a pity we didn't meet when you came past nakwan ...not much notice of telling 1 hr ahead really :-) . You know the weird thing is that we have passed each other on the 117 ! but even i turned around when next possible and drove as fast as i could on my virago ( that was about 160kph) i only could overtake those 3 Harley Guys you must have overtaken a few km's before reching nakwan.

Anyways hope to meet up next time and my old virago is getting ready to some riding too, still some minor adjustments are to be done but it is quite alright to do some short/medium spins already...time to play google maps again,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Sorry about that Mbox- originally I thought we would bypass Nakhon Sawan but took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on the 117 so decided to give you call to see if you could join us for lunch on short notice. Yeah- I remember blasting past those Harley guys. No idea what they were doing in the fast lane ;)

We'll catch you next time!

Ride On!

Tony

Ah understand, you were meant to go straight down on route 21? I guess.

I overtook the Harley guys (i was overtaking/undertaking on the slow lane because they insisted on their fast lane :blink:) before the bridge over Ping River....and can say that i was faster :)and louder:whistling: than them...they followed me until the first big intersection where i started to do some slalom ...although not great on my Virago but they had no chance to do anything like that. Still their Harleys looked nice and am sure they where having a good time too.

I think a "during-the-week daytrip" could be fun if you're up for it, preferably without rain.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I feel for him too, but on the flip side his bike has had electrical problems now for several months so it's about time he gets it sorted or buys a new bike... Not easy to find a shop in Thailand that can diagnose and fix electronics on a VFR 800 though... I'm trying to talk him into buying my beast of a K6 so that I can buy a friends stunning K8

I guess you'd basically have to take the entire electrical system apart, then put it back together and test every part. Sounds expensive, but then again TIT; shouldn't one of the many 2-nd hand-Jap-bike-assembler shops be able to do it? They ship bikes as parts all the time, then put them back together once they're here....

The K8 looks nice but I do like the white color scheme better... ;)

I feel for him too, but on the flip side his bike has had electrical problems now for several months so it's about time he gets it sorted or buys a new bike... Not easy to find a shop in Thailand that can diagnose and fix electronics on a VFR 800 though... I'm trying to talk him into buying my beast of a K6 so that I can buy a friends stunning K8 B)

PairOfGixxersSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

How much are we talking about for the K6???

PairOfGixxersSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

How much are we talking about for the K6???

550k ....and he just bought it! i just rang him...awesome! he will be ready for our epic trip up north again August long weekend. We will ride sports bikes north then swap over to dirt bikes for 2 day trail ride...awesome cant wait