Will There Be A Problem Registering Thai Baby At Uk Embassy In Bkk?

Martouf

my thai g/f is due to give birth early January, I have read the posts and the forms that are required to be completed to register the birth at UK embassy in BKK

The one thing that concerns me is on the registration forms it asks whether the parents are marriage ....... or if they have been previously married, if so, send evidence of the termination of the previously married of either parent......

This is where I am concerned I may have a problem ...... I have been separated from my (ex)wife for 3 years but we have not actually got around to getting divorced - does this cause a problem registering the birth ? In my view it shouldn't since the change in the law in July 2006.

I will be registering the baby birth at the amphur and know that my name is on the pink baby book

many thanks

As you are the father and not the mother I don't think it matters if you are married to another person, but the British emabssy can answer your question better than me.

Registering the birth at the Thai amphur will not result in you becoming the legal father of the child under Thai law. You cna try to become the legal father by registering the birth of the child together with the mother, but in all likelyhood you will need to petition the court to be recognised as the legal father.

As you are the father and not the mother I don't think it matters if you are married to another person, but the British emabssy can answer your question better than me.

Registering the birth at the Thai amphur will not result in you becoming the legal father of the child under Thai law. You cna try to become the legal father by registering the birth of the child together with the mother, but in all likelyhood you will need to petition the court to be recognised as the legal father.

thanks Mario2008 - I think I better re-read your pinned advice

I have emailed the embassy and will post their response - although because my g/f are I are not married, the baby is illegitimate which is covered since the change of the rules for nationality since July 2006 - although one explanation is it the same form if baby born before or after 2006.... and therefore the question of whether you are married to the mother is relevant

thanks Mario2008 - I think I better re-read your pinned advice

I have emailed the embassy and will post their response - although because my g/f are I are not married, the baby is illegitimate which is covered since the change of the rules for nationality since July 2006 - although one explanation is it the same form if baby born before or after 2006.... and therefore the question of whether you are married to the mother is relevant

Save yourself 8,280 Baht to register the child at the Embassy, as it's not a legal requirement. They even tell you this on the Embassy website. Just obtain the child a UK passport and save your money.