webfact

PREAH VIHEAR TEMPLE

PM vows to defend Thailand's rights

By Wattana Khamchu

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

gallery_327_1086_17474.jpg

Preah Vihear Temple

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday vowed to protect Thailand's rights and interests, as Cambodia makes moves to submit its management plan for Preah Vihear Temple and its adjacent areas at the Unesco World Heritage Committee meeting in Brazil.

The Thai delegation, led by Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti, is at the forum to lobby against the plan. The meeting runs until August 3.

"We think the World Heritage Committee should not consider this plan until Thailand and Cambodia have agreed upon the demarcation line," Abhisit said, after discussing the issue yesterday with some leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

He met the yellow-shirt leaders for two hours after about 1,000 PAD supporters rallied outside the Unesco office on Sukhumvit Road despite the emergency decree.

Unesco recognised the ancient temple as a World Heritage Site in 2008. Preah Vihear, perched on a mountain on the Thai-Cambodian border, has been the source of a sovereignty dispute between the two nations for decades. In 1962, the International Court of Justice ruled that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but failed to make a decision on the land adjacent the complex, giving rise to constant spats between the two nations.

According to PAD co-founder Chamlong Srimuang, Thailand would lose more than 1.8 million rai of land to Cambodia if this management plan were to go ahead. Chamlong threatened to unseat Abhisit if he failed to protect Thailand's sovereignty.

However, after meeting the PAD leaders, Abhisit admitted that he and PAD view the issue from different perspectives. "But our intention is the same. We are committed to protecting our country's sovereignty and rights," the premier reiterated.

Abhisit promised that his government would not accept a resolution from the Unesco World Heritage Committee that could hurt the Kingdom's interests in any way.

"The resolution must not interfere with Thailand's territory or sovereignty," he said. "We will not cooperate if the management plan encroaches on our soil."

Abhisit also revealed that the Cabinet would discuss the issue today.

When asked if Thailand would withdraw from the Unesco World Heritage Committee if Cambodia's management plan were to be approved, Abhisit said: "There are many options. We may consider harsh measures."

He added that Unesco had already been told about his government's stance on the plan.

"The United Nations and its related agencies were established to promote peace. The Unesco World Heritage Committee needs to review why its world-heritage inscription often turns tourism zones into areas of conflict," he said.

Abhisit said Cambodia and Thailand had built up a military presence along the border to declare their rights without confrontation for a while now, and though he agreed to discuss the issue with PAD leaders yesterday, he would not bow to their pressure about what his government should do.

PAD spokesman Panthep Puapongpan told ASTV that Abhisit did not agree with the PAD's suggestion that the government cancel the memorandum of understanding on demarcation signed with Cambodia in 2000.

He said the PM also rejected PAD's suggestion that Thailand force Cambodian soldiers and people out of the disputed area. "The prime minister said his government would exercise its right to protest, and did not want to see the dispute develop into a war," Panthep said.

He said Abhisit also disagreed with the idea of not sending a team to the Unesco World Heritage meeting, even though the PAD believes a boycott would be more effective.

However, Panthep admitted that the PAD agreed with Abhisit's plan to not accept Cambodia's map.

"It would be a violation of Thailand's sovereignty," he said.

After learning of the meeting results, the PAD protesters dispersed peacefully.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-28

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote "The prime minister said his government would exercise its right to protest, and did not want to see the dispute develop into a war," Panthep said.

He met the yellow-shirt leaders for two hours after about 1,000 PAD supporters rallied outside the Unesco office on Sukhumvit Road despite the emergency decree

Now 1,000 red shirt rally about the unfair prices for farmers and the huge profits for the middlemen.

I bet you never look in the mirror. Time to take a good hard look at yourself.

Edited by Democrat

Bangkok Awaits Decision from World Heritage Committee Today

The Thai government and the people of Thailand await a decision by the World Heritage Committee later today on Cambodia's attempted registration of the Phrea Vihear Temple. Approval of the registration could lead to Thailand losing rights over 4.6 square kilometers of land claimed by both countries.

Thai Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti revealed this morning that Thailand would withdraw from the meeting if the committee goes ahead to hold a 2 out of 3 vote.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-28

footer_n.gif

Thailand Officially Protests Registration of Phrea Vihear

Thailand has officially protested Cambodia's registration of the Phrea Vihear Temple. Reports from Brazil indicate that word has been given to committee members that Thailand will withdraw its membership to UNESCO and walkout of talks if the registration persists.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-28

footer_n.gif

You are 100% right, Just1Voice; well said!

I have to start to vomit when I see the banners these criminals displayed yesterday and when I hear the claims of thugs like Chamlong. Such evil people are calling for war!

Look at one of their signs: "Does Unesco understand the depth of Thai opposition?" Ha ha ha ... It is an 8 year old kid question!

It supports their standing that "falang don't understand Thailand"

Therefore here they can oppress, kill, steal, sell their children, abuse the neighbors, censor and intimidate.

"Stop invading Thailand?" This is nothing but a xenophobic attitude spiked with overgrown Nationalism of the worst kind because it is the foundation of rascism.

These are the dinosaurs that prevent Thailand from progressing socially and morally.

PREAH VIHEAR belongs to Cambodia, the Emerald Buddah was stolen from Laos and Chamlong should be in Jail. These PAD leaders use religion and Nation to preserve an unjust and evil status quo.

They are still waiting for the age of enlightment.

• Like 1

I'm at a total loss over these people who write and say the WHC failed to make a decision on the border between Thailand and Cambodia. Do they even bother to do any research before they write??? It's not that hard to do.

GOOGLE: Preah Vihear Temple

Click on: International Court of Justice.

Real Simple! If they bothered to do that, they could read the entire ruling by the ICJ, which DOES define the border between Thailand and Cambodia as being set by the Treaty of 13 February 1904, and the acceptance of the Siam government of the map that was submitted. Thailand, and supposedly educated people of this country, are now saying that Thailand never officially recognized that map, but the ICJ ruled that Thailand never OBJECTED to that map in 1904, and in 5 decades they never objected to it so, by "default" they HAD accepted it. hel_l, they even asked more more copies from the French so they could distribute them.

Thailand was given the opportunity to present their case before the ICJ in 1962, and they LOST. When a country agrees to settle a dispute in the ICJ, they ALSO agree to abide by the decision of the court, regardless of the outcome. But Thailand, like a spoiled child who can't have their way, cried like a baby when the lost, and then announced to the world that they don't accept the decision.

And for those who may come back and say: "Well, the World Heritage Committee didn't mark the border" - They don't have to because the International Court of Justice ALREADY set the border!

Get over it Thailand, you can't have what isn't yours, so grow up and move on. There are a thousand and one issues a hel_l of a lot more important to this country than the temple.

I totally agree with you man

and wanna add something: two very buddhist countries like this shouldn't have so harsh confrontations, deaths and hate generation sorting out on a buddhist temple! Shame on you guys!

3 provinces in Cambodia is actually Thailand.

The half of Thailand is formerly a part of the Khmer Empire.

And the second belongs to Malayans. The real Thailand is hidden somewhere at Lanna (which is, of course, formerly a part of Chinese Empire and built by Chinese escaped from Genghiz Khan's ords invading from the north).

Read your own histtory, kiddo. And don't post stupidity.

The half of Thailand is formerly a part of the Khmer Empire.And the second belongs to Malayans. The real Thailand is hidden somewhere at Lanna (which is, of course, formerly a part of Chinese Empire and built by Chinese escaped from Genghiz Khan's ords invading from the north).Read your own histtory, kiddo. And don't post stupidity.

Including Angkor Wat.

The half of Thailand is formerly a part of the Khmer Empire.And the second belongs to Malayans. The real Thailand is hidden somewhere at Lanna (which is, of course, formerly a part of Chinese Empire and built by Chinese escaped from Genghiz Khan's ords invading from the north).Read your own histtory, kiddo. And don't post stupidity.

Including Angkor Wat.

Built by who? :lol:

The whole issue is all very childish and boring.

The temple is obviously a Cambodian temple, the style and design are enough to prove that fact.

Children stop crying, as Johny Cambodia doesn't have "your" temple, its Johny's, he made it himself.

I have to start to vomit when I see the banners these criminals displayed yesterday and when I hear the claims of thugs like Chamlong. Such evil people are calling for war!

Look at one of their signs: "Does Unesco understand the depth of Thai opposition?" Ha ha ha ... It is an 8 year old kid question!

Therefore here they can oppress, kill, steal, sell their children, abuse the neighbors, censor and intimidate.

"Stop invading Thailand?" This is nothing but a xenophobic attitude spiked with overgrown Nationalism of the worst kind because it is the foundation of rascism.

These are the dinosaurs that prevent Thailand from progressing socially and morally.

PREAH VIHEAR belongs to Cambodia, the Emerald Buddah was stolen from Laos and Chamlong should be in Jail. These PAD leaders use religion and Nation to preserve an unjust and evil status quo.

You might want to say that every thing you say applies to the red shirt's also. They were the ones in power who started this fiasco. They started it for the same reason Abhisit carries it on. It looks good to the average Thai pure and simple.

One of the things that really gets me is that they imply King Rama v was not aware of what he was doing. What they are saying in a nice polite way is he was a idiot and didn't know what was going on.

Edited by jayjay0

Including Angkor Wat.

You're a prime example of the Thai Education System, especially in the area of History, which is more about fantasy than actual fact. The Khmer Empire existed LONG before Siam even came into being, and it included MOST of what is now Thailand. Ankor Wat and Preah Vihear are both HINDU temples, NOT Buddhist, and were built by the Khmer. After the breakup of the Khmer Empire, then the Lanna Kingdom came into being, with the original capital in Chiang Rai, but later moved to Chiang Mai by King Mengrai in 1291, with the wall around the city being completed in 1296. By the way, do you even know what "Lanna" means? Did they actually teach you in school? In case they didn't, it means "Land of a Million Rice Fields".

As for your comment about the 3 provinces in Cambodia belonging to Thailand, after the joining of the Siam and Lanna kingdoms, Thailand went on a mission of conquest to conquer everyone they could. They invaded what was left of the Khmer Empire, which is now Cambodia, as well as Lao, and even parts of Vietnam. But just like the Burmese couldn't hold on to Chiang Mai and other parts of what is now Thailand, Thailand couldn't hold on to what they had conquered, and were gradually forced to give it up, mainly by the French, who began to take control of most of South East Asia.

They eventually signed a treaty with the French that gave up ALL the land they had conquered EAST of the Mekong River, which included Cambodia and Lao. So, they took, by war, land that didn't belong to them, but then had to give it back when a "Bigger Bully" (the French) came on the scene. So, those three provinces never really belong to them in the first place.

Again, try doing so research before you make comments that reflect your lack of knowledge and the ineffectual Thai Education System.

Edited by Just1Voice

You might want to say that every thing you say applies to the red shirt's also. They were the ones in power who started this fiasco. They started it for the same reason Abhisit carries it on. It looks good to the average Thai pure and simple.

One of the things that really gets me is that they imply King Rama v was not aware of what he was doing. What they are saying in a nice polite way is he was a idiot and didn't know what was going on.

Yeah, I noticed that. They state he wasn't aware that the "map was wrong", saying he was stupid. I wonder if they can be brought up on Lesse Majestie charges for that, because the truth is that King Rama V was actually one of the BEST Kings of Thailand, who introduced many advances in education, health care, rice production, and went to Europe to promote Thailand and bring business here. Doesn't sound like someone who would make a mistake about a map. Especially one he asked the French to make more copies of (Thailand didn't have the facilities to do that) so they could be distributed to schools, temples and the government.

<br />
<br />Emerald Buddah was stolen from Laos? Better start a new forum.<br />
<br /><br />Yes, dear one, it was stolen from Ankor Wat.  Go here and read about it. <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Buddha' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://en.wikipedia..../Emerald_Buddha</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

According to the legend, the Emerald Buddha was created in India in 43 BC

These sort of arguements never an be resolved based on history. The facts are simply that history is written and rewritten and thius, there are no 'facts' only views. The victor's versus the loosers. Contries (read Kingdoms) have been invading and conquering eachother since well before the written word. Someone above talks about history and starts with the Chinese running from the Mongols, but there were people already here then too. Were those ancient Chinese the same Chinese as now? I would say certainly not - anymore than any other country.

Thailand has thousands of temples, many much more important than this little one. Rather than spending billions of baht on war, how about spending some on restoring Ayuttaya's thousands of temples - and Chiang Rai's even older ones.

From my reading I believe I read that the Emerald Buddha was atually Sri Lankan and was brought to Thailand when Sri Lanka was invaded by India and Theravada Buddhism was replaced for a while with Hinduism, but was a lost treasure and never returned.

If any of us look at our own history books from our schools, and if we were to compare, it would be interesting how skewed each was.

Does England belong to the French (1066), or Norway (600-900's Vikings/Saxons/Angels), or Italy (Romans up to 200), or the Celtic invaders from Scandinavia (pre-hist)?

Does the USA belong to Spain (1492), the British, the French, the Vikings, Inuits, so-called Native Americans, etc.

Yeah, I noticed that. They state he wasn't aware that the "map was wrong", saying he was stupid. I wonder if they can be brought up on Lesse Majestie charges for that, because the truth is that King Rama V was actually one of the BEST Kings of Thailand, who introduced many advances in education, health care, rice production, and went to Europe to promote Thailand and bring business here. Doesn't sound like someone who would make a mistake about a map. Especially one he asked the French to make more copies of (Thailand didn't have the facilities to do that) so they could be distributed to schools, temples and the government.

Indeed, in actual fact, it was his (and his Father's) intelligence, understanding and politial genius that kept Thailand free of the might of the imperial powers of the west at that time. If not for such concessions, Thailand would have been French, dutch or British.

Edited by wolf5370

I think Cambodia should give PREAH VIHEAR which is rightfully theirs back to Thailand. You do not want PAD vexed, they might throw a temper tantrum and close the Airport again.

I got a better idea. Give PAD some guns and tell them to go take the temple by force. THAT is something I would PAY to watch happen. :lol:

The half of Thailand is formerly a part of the Khmer Empire.

And the second belongs to Malayans. The real Thailand is hidden somewhere at Lanna (which is, of course, formerly a part of Chinese Empire and built by Chinese escaped from Genghiz Khan's ords invading from the north).

Read your own histtory, kiddo. And don't post stupidity.

Quite right.

Very good reading. very comprehensive. Unfortunately it is in Thai Perhaps google translate may help. . http://www.manager.c...D=9530000098345

Manager is using the nationalist line, and not the widely held international understanding of the situation,

Manager is playing on your nationalist sympathies for their power trip.

Try and find some info NOT from ANY of the disputing biased parties involved,

then we can take this seriously as research and facts.

Very good reading. very comprehensive. Unfortunately it is in Thai Perhaps google translate may help. . http://www.manager.c...D=9530000098345

Poor Child. First she states: The ICJ ruling is not fair, said the PAD. I'm assuming, although I could be wrong, that she agrees with PAD and that statement. Now she's putting links to The Manager, which is owned and run by Sondhi of PAD. She apparently has no idea that The Manager is a totally and completely biased media outlet that reflects the views and beliefs of Sondhi and PAD, with very little truth in it.

I wonder if she, and others, realize that should PAD somehow come to power, that they would set Thailand backwards about 100 years. Sondhi has stated, more than once, and on national television and in the other news media that the "rural poor are too stupid to vote". Now, it that isn't a racist comment about his own countrymen and women, then I don't know what is. Does she realize that PAD wants to do away with Parliament as it is now and replace it with one which is 70% appointed, and only 30% elected? The 70% appointed would be appointed by the elite, the military and the academics, while the 30% that is elected would only be voted on by the elite, the military and the academics. Anyone who does not hold at least a Bachelor's Degree would NOT be allowed to vote and have no say so in who runs the country.

People's Alliance for Democracy is more a case of Politburo AGAINST Democracy, and more Fascist than Democratic in nature. Their favorite trick is to try and stir up "Nationalism" by mixing facts and fiction, and THEIR version of the truth in an effort to further their own goals, which have absolutely NOTHING to do, or benefit, the average Thai.

I apologize to the monitors for getting somewhat "off topic", and hope they will forgive me.

• Like 2