Not A Thai Hero, Only A Victim Of Cowardly Killers

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME

Not a hero, only a victim of cowardly killers

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

I don't know how to describe Tawatchai Thongmak, who died in the Big C bomb attack at Rajprasong on Sunday evening. Surely, he was not a "democracy hero", was he? He was just a very unlucky man who happened to be at that bus stop when the bomb went off. He could have been any of us. Just about anyone could have been there, but Tawatchai's name came up in a cruel lottery draw somewhere, and the rest is history.

Unlike red-shirt or yellow-shirt protesters, or troops deployed to deal with them, or reporters assigned to monitor them, Tawatchai left home that day not anticipating the slightest danger.

His name won't become a rallying cry. There will be no coffin parade, or any medal or honour. The government and the red shirts have said they are sorry about his death, but that is the most that he and his grieving relatives are ever going to get.

The worst part is that his relatives will likely go through the rest of their lives confused and not knowing who to blame or who to trust. The blame game and conspiracy theories have already begun. One side will tell his family that it was part of the red fanatics' retribution campaign, but the other will claim that the bomb was meant to blow away the chances of an early end to the state of emergency.

If his death is "a price to pay", the question is to pay for what? For the Thai elites' relentless pursuit and persecution of Thaksin Shinawatra? For the inequality between Bangkok and rural areas? Or for Thailand having clashing versions of "democracy" and being dangerously naive about it? We can search for an explanation all we like, but none of the potential answers will make any sense.

He was not a hero, but whoever planted the bomb were absolute cowards. Terrorism is never an act of bravery to begin with, no matter the reason or who carries it out. Tawatchai died simply because the mastermind, no matter who it was, decided that it was all right to take his life to advance a course of action. He died because all the "principles" cited by both camps of the conflict are not as cherished as claimed.

An "ideological" clash that has seen both sides compete to value almost every aspect of "right" has degenerated into gross disregard for innocent people's fundamental right to life. How did we go from there to here? How did we go from "every man's right has to be respected" to "if a bystander's death can help our big picture, then so be it"?

April 10 was tragic, but it was perhaps a tragedy waiting to happen. The same dark forces dictated the Silom BTS grenade attacks and the May 19 infamy. Compared to them, the Big C explosion appears trivial. But is it, really?

The Big C bomb tells us that one party in the political conflict has crossed the last line. Shrapnel found at the scene provides tell-tale evidence that the bomb was meant to cause casualties, not just to "scare", as was the case in previous bomb attacks. A bus stop in the city centre, in the early evening, and adapted explosives with a good range of destruction - it was cold-blooded murder.

We can only pray that Tawatchai rests in peace and spare our thoughts for his family and relatives, who didn't have a chance to tell him they loved him or ask him to take care last Sunday. Like most of us, he left home that day not planning to die for a cause. He never thought he was going to be killed by a timebomb in the middle of the city. Nobody does.

We may soon forget his name, as he was just an ordinary person who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The 51-year-old man did not harbour any political cause for us to advance. He passed away without leaving any message. What was he thinking in the seconds before the bomb exploded? Of the recent street turmoil that took place in the area? Or something to do during the holiday yesterday?

Let's remember him. It's all right to not know his face or let his name slip away, but the only way to make his ordinary life count is to recognise the meaning of his unheroic death. Tawatchai Thongmak represented everyone of us, who never thought politics in our beloved motherland would be this violent and heartless. To realise that is not much, but it's the best we can do.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-28

• Like 2

And again the overt innuendos: that this was related purely and only to the Red vs Gov't conflict. That the upcoming army reshuffle has NOTHING to do with it- that those who for personal agendas wish to keep the SoE in place have nothing to do with it. ONLY that it is either the reds OR the gov't- and since it couldn't be the gov't- that leaves---

This is exploitation of a man's death to promote hatred in the country. Nothing less.

It is puzzling that a day does not go by when someone is murdered in an equally senseless and manner and not a peep from the populace or the media. You might ask, why bring it up now? Well, it's gets to the heart of the matter. The article would also apply to the imbeciles that drive drunk and the truckers juiced out on yaba that kill and maim thousands of Thais every year. The selfish disconnect that encourages lunatics to plant bombs is also why many of the drunks and druggies get behind the wheel: They don't care about others. Alot of serious reflection about civil behaviour needs to start now.

Most places in the world when a bomb goes off the people responsible step up. They want the world to know why they are angry and they want change that they are willing to fight for or die for. But not here. Just cowards working for the big dollar. Prayers to Mr. Tawatchai Thongmak friends and family. Changes is needed and swiftly.

Edited by junglist

Most places in the world when a bomb goes off the people responsible step up. They want the world to know why they are angry and they want change that they are willing to fight for or die for. But not here. Just cowards working for the big dollar. Prayers to Mr. Tawatchai Thongmak friends and family. Changes is needed and swiftly.

IN most places in the world people only step up after an attack like this to broadcast their aims and goals- as you rightly say. UNLESS the goal has been already met as a result of the act. If the goal was nothing more than to see the SoE extended, there would be no need for anyone to step up- it would serve no purpose for them.

Edited by blaze

IN most places in the world people only step up after an attack like this to broadcast their aims and goals- as you rightly say. UNLESS the goal has been already met as a result of the act. If the goal was nothing more than to see the SoE extended, there would be no need for anyone to step up- it would serve no purpose for them.

You can argue the same thing for the reds. Thing is the reds already have a bad track record and this fits them more. But we can argue till we both die of old age if your view is red and mine is yellow we would never see eye to eye. Just imagine how it is for Thais who are even deeper connected to this struggle. You will see that this will not go away and will stay here for a long time.

However i think it will stop if the reds are in power because then they don't have to kill. I haven't seen bombings during the reds reign. (this is just my opinion)

In any rationalization of a mindless bombing; the first question should be "Who gains?"

Military - why would the upcoming leadership change be altered in any way by a minor bomb attack? Is there any advantage to the military by prolonging the SOE?

Government (Democrats) - They have just had an expected win in a by-election (a bomb BEFORE may have increased their vote). Tourism and national stability is likely to be negatively affected. SOE extension may give them more argument to stall elections to the due date, but they have reasonable cause to do that already. If it was an attempt to smear the opposition, why not a phone call claiming responsibility in their name?

PTP - Has made a statement that they will co-operate with the reconciliation plan AFTER the SOE is lifted. A delay in lifting it may be desirable to them if they are wishing to appear reasonable but don't want to co-operate.

Yellows - Have kept a low profile lately. Not likely to affect upcoming court cases. A smear attempt, without a fake responsibility claim?

TS - happy birthday Mr President. Maybe an exclamation mark to the "keep up the struggle" statement.

Reds - Angry over election loss? Keeping the sponsor happy? A continuation of the "democracy" fight?

Take your pick. I find it sad though that a man has died, several badly injured, and Thailand damaged, for so little gain.

<br />
<br />The army should stop importing C4. Then such thing will not happen.<br />
<br /><br />The bomb was reported to be a M-67 shrapnel grenade modified with a timer.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The army should stop importing M-67. Then such thing will not happen.

Has the nation a ax to grind with the government.

They posted

"For the Thai elites' relentless pursuit and persecution of Thaksin Shinawatra?"

Relentless pursuit. Makes it sound like they have a army looking for him. They have taking steps and are now waiting for some thing to develop. It is out of there hands now unless Thaksin does something stupid like come back to Thailand. But blowing it out of proportion making it sound like the whole government is spending 7/24 to get him will sell a lot more papers than the facts.

<br />
<br /><br />The bomb was reported to be a M-67 shrapnel grenade modified with a timer.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What leads you to believe that the grenade was sourced from the Army?

The target was not the few men and women injured,

but the whole populace of Bangkok and the extended Thai family

that is attached to it.

Fear is the commodity,

to make people change their minds about a generally chosen course of action.

Now, all who go about their business, and ignore the forces that would oppress them,

are all minor heroes for risking their lives day to day, by getting on with life in spite of this,

and by staying true to their principles in making the national course go forward.

Those who did this have NO principles, nor scruples.

Some say those oppressive forces are one group, and others say it's another,

but the people planting the bombs are against ALL people, even if they don't realize it.

I can't help thinking that the 'side' with the recent clear history of

covert and overt violent oppression of others, when their aims are not met,

are the logical choice as perpetrators of this outrage; a fringe faction within certainly.

I this case the target was not obviously directly involved with one side or the other,

which makes it an attack on ALL Thai's, and visitors peace of mind.

You can argue the same thing for the reds. Thing is the reds already have a bad track record and this fits them more. But we can argue till we both die of old age if your view is red and mine is yellow we would never see eye to eye. Just imagine how it is for Thais who are even deeper connected to this struggle. You will see that this will not go away and will stay here for a long time.

However i think it will stop if the reds are in power because then they don't have to kill. I haven't seen bombings during the reds reign. (this is just my opinion)

I don't understand your first point- are you suggesting that the reds wanted the SoE to be extended?

Your opinion about bombings during the 'red reign' are not based on fact: there was a very controversial attempted assasination of THaksin by bomb- though that was 'satisfactorily' concluded on Thaivisa to be a frame up- a bid for sympathy engineered by-- Thaksin.

I have no idea who set off this bomb. But there are certainly more motivations extant than a temper tantrum on the part of some reds over losing a by-election. Which they pretty much expected to lose anyway. This of course served to further demonize the reds- Who benefits from that? The reds?

It also serves to see the SoE extended- and there are probably more cliques than we are aware of who, for reasons totally independent of red/gov't poltics, would welcome this.

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />The army should stop importing M-67. Then such thing will not happen.<br />
<br /><br />What leads you to believe that the grenade was sourced from the Army?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Because no one in Thailand have the license to umport M-67, other than the army. This is a known fact.

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What leads you to believe that the grenade was sourced from the Army?

Why bother, Mick mate? This is the forums own "agent provocateur", same as "Rucharee" before that...

In any rationalization of a mindless bombing; the first question should be "Who gains?"

Military - why would the upcoming leadership change be altered in any way by a minor bomb attack? Is there any advantage to the military by prolonging the SOE?

Government (Democrats) - They have just had an expected win in a by-election (a bomb BEFORE may have increased their vote). Tourism and national stability is likely to be negatively affected. SOE extension may give them more argument to stall elections to the due date, but they have reasonable cause to do that already. If it was an attempt to smear the opposition, why not a phone call claiming responsibility in their name?

PTP - Has made a statement that they will co-operate with the reconciliation plan AFTER the SOE is lifted. A delay in lifting it may be desirable to them if they are wishing to appear reasonable but don't want to co-operate.

Yellows - Have kept a low profile lately. Not likely to affect upcoming court cases. A smear attempt, without a fake responsibility claim?

TS - happy birthday Mr President. Maybe an exclamation mark to the "keep up the struggle" statement.

Reds - Angry over election loss? Keeping the sponsor happy? A continuation of the "democracy" fight?

Take your pick. I find it sad though that a man has died, several badly injured, and Thailand damaged, for so little gain.

There certainly is an advantage to the military in the coming reshuffle to have the SoE in place- there are splits within the military- that's no secret- to ensure a smooth transition- it helps to be able to keep one's 'enemies' under wraps. Bear in mind also that this is a cash cow for some authorities.

I agree that the government would have little reason to actively engage in acts like this. I believe that Abhisit for one, genuinely wants this SoE put to bed.

The PTP could probably win the next election- but right now- at least in Bangkok, they are pretty much prohibited from engaging (as all parties are) in political rallies so I think that their stake in having the SoE is at best minimal.

The Yellows? I agree with you- they have enough problems right now.

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably.

The Reds? They got the election result they anticipated. They also got the 'victim' status that they crave. So this would really be shooting themselves in the foot.

There certainly is an advantage to the military in the coming reshuffle to have the SoE in place- there are splits within the military- that's no secret- to ensure a smooth transition- it helps to be able to keep one's 'enemies' under wraps. Bear in mind also that this is a cash cow for some authorities.

I agree that the government would have little reason to actively engage in acts like this. I believe that Abhisit for one, genuinely wants this SoE put to bed.

The PTP could probably win the next election- but right now- at least in Bangkok, they are pretty much prohibited from engaging (as all parties are) in political rallies so I think that their stake in having the SoE is at best minimal.

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably.

The Reds? They got the election result they anticipated. They also got the 'victim' status that they crave. So this would really be shooting themselves in the foot.

You say

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably."

The problem with a statement like that is you use a group that does any thing they want and then announces the government did it or ignores it.

Not sure where you come from but here in Chiang Mai they have predicted that this was a option that they werfe going to pursue. It is really bad now they are not working together and will blow themselves up as well as you or me. They really don't care. There parent's can now say and mean it they are really sorry for these actions but they no longer can control the tiger they have worked long and hard to build.

"

<br />
<br />
<br /&gt
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />The army should stop importing M-67. Then such thing will not happen.<br />
<br /><br />What leads you to believe that the grenade was sourced from the Army?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Because no one in Thailand have the license to umport M-67, other than the army. This is a known fact.

Can you not conceive that perhaps it was illegally imported? Surely that would not be beyond the bounds of conscience of a terrorist bomber.

You say

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably."

The problem with a statement like that is you use a group that does any thing they want and then announces the government did it or ignores it.

Not sure where you come from but here in Chiang Mai they have predicted that this was a option that they werfe going to pursue. It is really bad now they are not working together and will blow themselves up as well as you or me. They really don't care. There parent's can now say and mean it they are really sorry for these actions but they no longer can control the tiger they have worked long and hard to build.

"

I don't understand your first sentence. But your second is correct- many reds did threaten to take this underground- But if they have done so- I would expect the damage would be MUCH more devestating- much more frequent- and as someone else suggested- they would have taken credit for the blasts rather than professing innocence- The reds I know in my little area in Bangkok laugh at the notion that this was the work of red fanatics- they also predicted that everytime there is a possibility that the SoE will be lifted- a bomb will go off. They blame the government- which I think is equally misguided, without evidence-

Edited by blaze