Not A Thai Hero, Only A Victim Of Cowardly Killers

webfact

Discussion is still focused on pointing fingers. The question that should be asked is why someone is able to plant an explosive device knowing that it could cause death and injury. The person(s) planting the device knew right from wrong, so why were they able to turn off the internal switch that stops humans from violence? Instead of scratching at the surface, ask what would cause a Thai to think nothing of killing and injuring other Thais. It is a manifestation of the decay of civil society. That's the big picture.

It starts with small and infrequent incidents and then it becomes the norm. If one looks at Iraq, excluding the IEDs, almost all of the bombs now planted in the markets and mosques are one faction vs. another faction, an entirely civilian situation with no military targets. I'm not going off on a tangent but highlighting what happens when the public perception is that some groups are worthy of death and injury. Even the IRA's campaign of terror bombings followed the same lifecycle. At first they came as isolated events. The IRA's supporters didn't have much to say as bombs went off in public places. However, as time went by, even the strongest supporters realized that such actions were unacceptable and served no purpose save for a cathartic rendering of anger. Does Thailand have to go through years of bomb blasts until it reaches a point where the deaths & injuries are too much to cope with and the factional sides supporters say enough? It would be nice if we could fast forward to the point where people say no and make the decision to deny bomb planters the cover and support needed for such selfish actions. This is why the process of reconciliation must be started now. No more empty slogans, but real and visible actions.

• Like 1

In any rationalization of a mindless bombing; the first question should be "Who gains?"

Military - why would the upcoming leadership change be altered in any way by a minor bomb attack? Is there any advantage to the military by prolonging the SOE?

Government (Democrats) - They have just had an expected win in a by-election (a bomb BEFORE may have increased their vote). Tourism and national stability is likely to be negatively affected. SOE extension may give them more argument to stall elections to the due date, but they have reasonable cause to do that already. If it was an attempt to smear the opposition, why not a phone call claiming responsibility in their name?

PTP - Has made a statement that they will co-operate with the reconciliation plan AFTER the SOE is lifted. A delay in lifting it may be desirable to them if they are wishing to appear reasonable but don't want to co-operate.

Yellows - Have kept a low profile lately. Not likely to affect upcoming court cases. A smear attempt, without a fake responsibility claim?

TS - happy birthday Mr President. Maybe an exclamation mark to the "keep up the struggle" statement.

Reds - Angry over election loss? Keeping the sponsor happy? A continuation of the "democracy" fight?

Take your pick. I find it sad though that a man has died, several badly injured, and Thailand damaged, for so little gain.

There certainly is an advantage to the military in the coming reshuffle to have the SoE in place- there are splits within the military- that's no secret- to ensure a smooth transition- it helps to be able to keep one's 'enemies' under wraps. Bear in mind also that this is a cash cow for some authorities.

I agree that the government would have little reason to actively engage in acts like this. I believe that Abhisit for one, genuinely wants this SoE put to bed.

The PTP could probably win the next election- but right now- at least in Bangkok, they are pretty much prohibited from engaging (as all parties are) in political rallies so I think that their stake in having the SoE is at best minimal.

The Yellows? I agree with you- they have enough problems right now.

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably.

The Reds? They got the election result they anticipated. They also got the 'victim' status that they crave. So this would really be shooting themselves in the foot.

You say

TS? I think most reds are genuinely pretty convinced that this reds were NOT involved in this. So if that is Thaksin's goal- he failed miserably."

The problem with a statement like that is you use a group that does any thing they want and then announces the government did it or ignores it.

Not sure where you come from but here in Chiang Mai they have predicted that this was a option that they werfe going to pursue. It is really bad now they are not working together and will blow themselves up as well as you or me. They really don't care. There parent's can now say and mean it they are really sorry for these actions but they no longer can control the tiger they have worked long and hard to build.

"

I don't understand your first sentence. But your second is correct- many reds did threaten to take this underground- But if they have done so- I would expect the damage would be MUCH more devestating- much more frequent- and as someone else suggested- they would have taken credit for the blasts rather than professing innocence- The reds I know in my little area in Bangkok laugh at the notion that this was the work of red fanatics- they also predicted that everytime there is a possibility that the SoE will be lifted- a bomb will go off. They blame the government- which I think is equally misguided, without evidence-

The first sentence was a quote from your post. I understood it. I just don't believe it is the truth. Yes the reds you know might well laugh at it but as I pointed out it is now not a large group it is small gangs possibly only one person who the red shirt leadership can not control. I am sure the leadership is honestly sorry it happened. Name one other group that has been actively involved in a situation such as we had in Bangkok recently and made such threats. And you are surprised when it happens. For my self no surprise but much sadness.

Discussion is still focused on pointing fingers. The question that should be asked is why someone is able to plant an explosive device knowing that it could cause death and injury. The person(s) planting the device knew right from wrong, so why were they able to turn off the internal switch that stops humans from violence? Instead of scratching at the surface, ask what would cause a Thai to think nothing of killing and injuring other Thais. It is a manifestation of the decay of civil society. That's the big picture.

It starts with small and infrequent incidents and then it becomes the norm. If one looks at Iraq, excluding the IEDs, almost all of the bombs now planted in the markets and mosques are one faction vs. another faction, an entirely civilian situation with no military targets. I'm not going off on a tangent but highlighting what happens when the public perception is that some groups are worthy of death and injury. Even the IRA's campaign of terror bombings followed the same lifecycle. At first they came as isolated events. The IRA's supporters didn't have much to say as bombs went off in public places. However, as time went by, even the strongest supporters realized that such actions were unacceptable and served no purpose save for a cathartic rendering of anger. Does Thailand have to go through years of bomb blasts until it reaches a point where the deaths & injuries are too much to cope with and the factional sides supporters say enough? It would be nice if we could fast forward to the point where people say no and make the decision to deny bomb planters the cover and support needed for such selfish actions. This is why the process of reconciliation must be started now. No more empty slogans, but real and visible actions.

I agree with what you say. I also believe that the red shirts should be leading the action to stop the indiscriminate bombing. I am not going to say it was or wasn't the red shirts but I am positive that most of the leaders and a strong majority of there followers deplore it. Socially they are in the best position to put a stop to it. It would give them a little bit of credit to be able to stop it. And no to the people who say that was there plan all along.

Big C blast linked to previous bomb attacks

BANGKOK, 29 July 2010 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Police Bureau has found evidence indicating that the recent blast in front of Big C Rajdamri in Bangkok is linked to several previous other bombing cases.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Police Major-General Amnuay Nimmano revealed on Wednesday that the latest bomb that took place on Sunday night might be linked to the terrorist cases occurred during the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) rally earlier this year.

He believed the series of crime including the latest were committed by the same group of suspects as the bomb wiring method and the explosive material used were similar.

The Metropolitan Police will pass the case to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) within the next few days because the existing evidence suggests they are terrorist-related.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255307290012

Ratchadamri Blast Case Forwarded to DSI

TAN Network

UPDATE : 29 July 2010

Police have forwarded the Big C Ratchadamri bus stop bombing case to the Department of Special Investigation for further investigation with strong belief the incident is tied to other blasts.

National police chief's adviser Police General Panupong Singhara Na Ayutthaya disclosed this morning that the bomb attack at the bus stop in front of Big C Ratchadamri has been forwarded by deputy metropolitan police chief Police Major General Amnuay Nimmano to the Department of Special Investigation, or DSI.

Panupong stated that considerable progress has been made in the case thanks to surveillance camera footage.

Police have been able to draw ties between the blast and similar bombing incidents in the capital, including attacks on Kok Kram and Nang Loeng police stations.

Similar bomb-making techniques were cited as another strong indication of the attack's connection to past incidents.

Police will continue to investigate the Big C blast while the DSI is following up on the case's ties to other crimes.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032810