Using Credit Card At Petrol Station In Ubon

chris26be

I had a hard time last night finding a petrol station in Ubon that accepted a credit card. After four attempts I arrived at TPIPLE on the road to the clock tower roundabout. They accepted credit cards. It even had a big VISA sign. But when I wanted to pay, their terminal didn't work.

Anyone knows of petrol stations in Ubon where credit cards are accepted without a problem?

Chris

Just because they say they take them does not mean they will work. Credit cards from out of country seldom work here. And then it is usually not more than once. Thai credit cards seem to be more reliable from certain banks only. Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank mostly. But this is not a credit card friendly country.

T

Just because they say they take them does not mean they will work. Credit cards from out of country seldom work here. And then it is usually not more than once. Thai credit cards seem to be more reliable from certain banks only. Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank mostly. But this is not a credit card friendly country.

T

I've never had any problems using my overseas Visa card and I've been using it in Bkk, Korat and Surin for more than 5 years! Maybe their terminal was down or the attendant didn't know ho to use it.

PTT on Chayangkhun road does not take credit cards, at least not in the 4 months I've been here. The PTT on the ring road out near Big C does. So does the PTT on the ring road way out west of town. Click here and here for the location in Google Maps.

All PTT stations nationwide takes cards.

http://www.pttplc.com/en/

Edited by ubonrthai

T

nonsense

I have been using credit cards at at least 100 different petrol stations in Thailand and never had problems (though I always asked upfront before they started to fill my tank). never any of their CC-machines did refuse my cards, be it Visa or Master.

just make sure to cover the 3-digit- number on the backside of the card (using a black tape or a black marker) if you want to avoid ur data being stolen

• Like 1

All over Thailand and Bangkok are not Ubon. Things often don't work here. Or people simply do not know how to do them. Just because it works in Bangkok and other places does not make it true here. I have had many problems and have plenty of friends here that complain credit cards that do not work here to know it is true. What works in other places has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in Ubon. I hope others have different experiences.

T

All over Thailand and Bangkok are not Ubon. Things often don't work here. Or people simply do not know how to do them. Just because it works in Bangkok and other places does not make it true here. I have had many problems and have plenty of friends here that complain credit cards that do not work here to know it is true. What works in other places has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in Ubon. I hope others have different experiences.

T

Been living in Ubon for a good few years; the only times I've had my Visa or MasterCards rejected, I have phoned UK and been told that my card was blocked because their security system had randomly selected me for a routine security check. Happened twice in a month last year and received an apology from Lloyds!

But never had any refusals or problems from this end.

Elwood

• 11 months later...

Slightly off topic, but I tried paying for an aircon unit in Big C in another NE city last year, and they could not get my UK credit card to work. The sales assistant (at the main desk) did not seem familiar with the notion of entering a PIN. Later I found that the failed transaction had caused my card to be blocked (no, I did check and the block did not come before the visit to Big C). So I think using western cards is indeed a bit hit or miss. Then, even if they take the card, you need to make sure the business does not 'help' you by using dynamic currency conversion at their rate.

The sales assistant (at the main desk) did not seem familiar with the notion of entering a PIN.

That's my experience too at several petrol stations: the employees do not always know the client has to enter his pin-code.

Slightly off topic, but I tried paying for an aircon unit in Big C in another NE city last year, and they could not get my UK credit card to work. The sales assistant (at the main desk) did not seem familiar with the notion of entering a PIN. Later I found that the failed transaction had caused my card to be blocked (no, I did check and the block did not come before the visit to Big C). So I think using western cards is indeed a bit hit or miss. Then, even if they take the card, you need to make sure the business does not 'help' you by using dynamic currency conversion at their rate.

I have had this too, they don't know about PIN. One place l said give me you machine, l put in my PIN and all OK. :)

Several in town don't seem to take them. There are at least 2 on the ring road that do. Heading north on Chayangkhun, pass big C and at the ring road intersection turn right (East). There is a PTT soon after. Or there is one way out West on the ring road near Home Hub and the river that takes them.

All PTT stations nationwide takes cards.

http://www.pttplc.com/en/

Two PTT gas stations in Ubon I stopped at today did not accept any credit cards. Neither did the Shell petrol station.

It may be related it may not but the Thais were having some sort of network connection problems up north. They haven't been able to record the new ID's for children because the network was down. That's one possibility, the other is there is often such a delay connecting outside of the country it times out. I've seen that here in Bangkok by tourists trying to use the ATM's. usually they have to try at a later time. Just a thought!