Thinking Of Moving To Chiang Mai

thaibutty

After almost 6 years in Phuket, me and also my wife, Thai from Nakhorn Sri Thammarat, who has been in Phuket about the same time as me, both are thinking of moving to Chiang Mai.

Phuket is nice and everything but I guess it is time for a change. I have been to Chiang Mai several times on holiday and enjoyed it, but of course holiday and living are different things.

Personally, I believe that Chiang Mai would suit my and my families, my first child is due in October, current interests and lifestyle requirements better. I am not into bars and going out a lot, as I did this to excess the first three years in Phuket, as you can guess for a 20something at the time, but prefer privacy and extended weekend trips with my wife. I guess there is a lot to explore around Chiang Mai for a newbie.

From what I can see on this subforum, living tends to be a bit cheaper than Phuket, and schools are cheaper but with an comparable standard.

Overall, I believe that Chiang Mai would be a good option, especially as I am not bound to a location for work.

Is there anyone who has moved from Phuket to Chiang Mai and has any thoughts to share? Of course, anyone else is invited with ideas.

we moved from phuket exactly one year ago this month, and never regretted it.

completely different lifestyle, where locals mainly don't treat you as tourists every 20 yds, cost of living is generally overall cheaper, but esecially in terms of renting or buying depending what your intentions are, good choice of international schools, as well as english programme schools, very good shopping, everything you really need.

if you love the ocean and cant stay out of it, or look at it, dont come.

the main thing i would say that its got the infratstructure of a city thats been around for a long time, phuket will never catch up on its basic infrastructure, the driving is nowhere near as dangerous as phuket in my opinion, of course thats not to say it doesn't have it's problems.

i would suggest you come first for a week or two, have a look around, rent where you think its going be conveniant for amenities, especially school, and take it from there.

if you need any other info pm me, i was in phuket for 7yrs.

we moved from phuket exactly one year ago this month, and never regretted it.

completely different lifestyle, where locals mainly don't treat you as tourists every 20 yds, cost of living is generally overall cheaper, but esecially in terms of renting or buying depending what your intentions are, good choice of international schools, as well as english programme schools, very good shopping, everything you really need.

if you love the ocean and cant stay out of it, or look at it, dont come.

the main thing i would say that its got the infratstructure of a city thats been around for a long time, phuket will never catch up on its basic infrastructure, the driving is nowhere near as dangerous as phuket in my opinion, of course thats not to say it doesn't have it's problems.

i would suggest you come first for a week or two, have a look around, rent where you think its going be conveniant for amenities, especially school, and take it from there.

if you need any other info pm me, i was in phuket for 7yrs.

Thank's doppa!

This was exactly the kind of confirmation I was looking for and I have the feeling that it will be a good decision to move.

The thing with the ocean is that I moved to Phuket for my love of the Ocean and started working as a diving instructor. After 3 years I couldn't stand it anymore, now I am staying away from the beaches most of the time, except for the odd seafood dinner with sea view. So there is no point for me to actually live on an island, without going to the beach. I don't even go diving anymore, maybe 2 times a year.

I guess that I would actually enjoy going to Phuket once I don't live there anymore.

I still have time before I move, my son will be born in October and the first few month we will definitely not move. As, in Thailand, you should not move during the Hot season, to avoid a jai roon atmosphere in your new house, we will have to wait until May. So still plenty of time to organize everything.

Will probably go to Chiang Mai end of the year or beginning of next year and look around.

Are there any family friendly, not too old, Moo Baans that you would recommend? let's say radius of 10 km around the city, close to schools, shopping, I have already done some internet searches but without knowing the name of the Moo Baan it is a bit difficult.

Are there any family friendly, not too old, Moo Baans that you would recommend? let's say radius of 10 km around the city, close to schools, shopping, I have already done some internet searches but without knowing the name of the Moo Baan it is a bit difficult.

There are loads.. my recommendation would be to go have a look yourself, and pick one that's long established. (No telling how successful any new ones will be, no matter how posh they look, and no matter how many services and facilities are promised. Or if you do go for a newly established one, then make sure there are absolutely no cheaper houses/smaller plots around. Best if they're all 3 million up. When renting it matters less of course, then just go for something that looks nice today, though I think I would personally still prefer something more established, with mature greenery around, well kept, etc.

Another recommendation would be to check with your wife and pay close attention to her needs; being from NST she's likely more naturally at home in a Southern province like Phuket. When moving to a different region my advice would be to learn the local language ASAP, this will make a big difference in how she is perceived. Kind of the same as for us learning Thai vs those only speaking English, it's really that big a difference.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I would rent a condo in town for a month or two to get the feel of CM. Different suburbs and Moo Baans suit different people's needs. Stay in town for a while and drive around. Personally I like living in town, and a number of my friends have regretted buying places a long way out of town. You also need to consider the location of schools, supermarkets, places of entertianment etc. Try asking around: The Expats Club, The Royal Brtish Legion, The VFW, or any of a load of other organisations may be useful in providing people to talk to about their experiences. Winnie has good advice about language. Your wife wont be able to speak Lanna and although she'll get along just fine with southern Thai, making friends may be easier for her if she can pick up a bit of the local lingo!

Just a few ideas!

Thank's to both of you for sharing your thoughts.

Best is probably really to fly up to Chiang Mai and look around. Problem is I don't want to rent anything just for a month to get a feeling, as I have a lot of furniture, which makes moving difficult. Therefore, best to look around first, choose somewhere nice, rent for a year and than go and look for a place to buy.

I will be looking for the longer established Moo Baans, as I also prefer the greenery to be mature, don't like the look of these sterile new projects. However, it depends on the state of the established Moo Baans, some are quite run down, at least here in Phuket.

Noticed the comment about the language. My wife does of course speak central Thai, not only Southern. But it is a good advise to learn the Northern dialect asap. I am also looking forward to pick up a new dialect, as my standard Thai is quite fluent, we speak Thai 95% of the time at home, and I understand Southern very well, not too good with the speaking, though, except for some phrases and words.

Consider visiting in March before you make your decision. You might as well experience the air pollution before you make the commitment.

Good point! I have heard about the air pollution during that time of the year before. Is it really that bad!? How long does it usually last?

Consider visiting in March before you make your decision. You might as well experience the air pollution before you make the commitment.

Good point! I have heard about the air pollution during that time of the year before. Is it really that bad!? How long does it usually last?

Yes, it's very bad. It lasts about three+ weeks, but spread out over 2 months. Worst in March. And no matter what part of the city you stay in, there's no escape. Apparently, not everyone is bothered by it as it doesn't affect everyone the same. Come see for yourself.

We too lived on Phuket for 5 years, Nai Harn. Nice. But after riding by motorbike 3 times through most of Thailand up North and after sniffing around in Chiang Mai for 7 months (hotel) we found our place.

Phuket is longer Thailand, to me. Here I feel simply ok. In 10 minutes thousands of km of small beautiful roads.

Depends where you live in CM I guess - I never even noticed it this year.

Nope, the part of town doesn't matter significantly. Even the part of the province doesn't matter. in fact, it's FAR worse along the border in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

We too lived on Phuket for 5 years, Nai Harn. Nice. But after riding by motorbike 3 times through most of Thailand up North and after sniffing around in Chiang Mai for 7 months (hotel) we found our place.

Phuket is longer Thailand, to me. Here I feel simply ok. In 10 minutes thousands of km of small beautiful roads.

I wouldnt say Phuket is not Thailand, the development in Phuket, is just an expression of the "progress" that you can find in many parts - main tourist centers of Thailand. However, I agree with you that there are not many undiscovered corners left on Phuket, the traffic jams are getting worse and they are building on every corner.

I too like to drive around small roads and explore the countryside so Chiang Mai will have a lot to offer.

Nope, the part of town doesn't matter significantly. Even the part of the province doesn't matter. in fact, it's FAR worse along the border in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai.

So, this whole air pollution thing lasts for around a month, and is worse for some people. Is the pollution a real health threat and people are staying indoors when possible or is it just a constant smell, which is uncomfortable but not dangerous.

So, this whole air pollution thing lasts for around a month, and is worse for some people. Is the pollution a real health threat and people are staying indoors when possible or is it just a constant smell, which is uncomfortable but not dangerous.

I'd recommend having a read back through some of the threads that occur on this forum every year during the smoke season. Opinions vary widely - some people seem hardly to notice it, others actively plan to leave the area every March. The air quality starts to go down hill from late January, and the real smoke episodes - when the sky is brown in the daytime and the stars invisible at night - usually start to occur from mid-February onwards. When arriving at Chiang Mai airport any time between January and March the first thing I notice on leaving the building is the smell of smoke in the air. Some years are worse than others, but there are generally at least two or three episodes where the readings get into the dangerous category. As you are starting a family you will want to consider that the young are more vulnerable to pollution. The problem goes away when the first rains start to fall, meaning that it can stretch into April some years.

I wish that I'd done more research into the smoke problem before settling in CM, as personally I find it really unpleasant on the worst days. Having said that, for the other ten and a half months of the year I would say the climate and general quality of life here are wonderful.

No smell at all. It's just haziness in the air. It doesn't affect me (other that that it looks crap, you can't even see the mountain from town). This is a great overview: http://nachang.com/dryseason

People who are asthmatic often indicate it bothers them. It varies from year to year, usually there are 2-3 bad weeks, typically somewhere in March.

Good time to go South. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'd recommend having a read back through some of the threads that occur on this forum every year during the smoke season. Opinions vary widely - some people seem hardly to notice it, others actively plan to leave the area every March. The air quality starts to go down hill from late January, and the real smoke episodes - when the sky is brown in the daytime and the stars invisible at night - usually start to occur from mid-February onwards. When arriving at Chiang Mai airport any time between January and March the first thing I notice on leaving the building is the smell of smoke in the air. Some years are worse than others, but there are generally at least two or three episodes where the readings get into the dangerous category. As you are starting a family you will want to consider that the young are more vulnerable to pollution. The problem goes away when the first rains start to fall, meaning that it can stretch into April some years.

I wish that I'd done more research into the smoke problem before settling in CM, as personally I find it really unpleasant on the worst days. Having said that, for the other ten and a half months of the year I would say the climate and general quality of life here are wonderful.

Seconded.

One of the reasons we moved here was the pollution in HK (at least 150 days of the year when the air is at unhealthy levels) that affected my daughters who both had to be under regular medication. The problem disappeared within a month of moving here. The issue has not recurred here even during the worst pollution days. It's probably to do with the type of pollution. Our GP here has warned us that there are long-term consequences and suggested we stay indoors as much as possible during the worst weeks and wear appropriate masks if we have to go out. My kids' school cancels outdoor activities on some days during the pollution season.

No smell at all. It's just haziness in the air. It doesn't affect me (other that that it looks crap, you can't even see the mountain from town). This is a great overview: http://nachang.com/dryseason

People who are asthmatic often indicate it bothers them. It varies from year to year, usually there are 2-3 bad weeks, typically somewhere in March.

Good time to go South. :)

The OP needs to look into the nothern air quality issues very closely, ex-Chiang Mai is quite healthy in Phuket, good luck.

hello

i also am considering the move to chiang mai, but have the option of waiting for a while if need be.

timing is my main concern since its now rainy season there in chiang mai.

touring the surrounding countryside by motorbike is a big reason for going there.

also, i rely on a robust internet. is connection to international sites affected during the rainy season, or can one expect serious drops in speed/quality? i will be on bbb 4mb connection in the old city.

maybe after the rainy season ends would be better time to relocate to chiang mai, what with floods etc? perhaps october?

your opinions welcome.

An interesting discussion about the air pollution since I will be arriving in CM in mid to late February next year.

From what has been said, it seems like the pollution is mostly smoke related rather than hydrocarbon based (automobile emissions, etc.). Having grown up in a suburb of Houston, Texas that had an informal motto of "The air is greener in Pasadener," I can't imagine the problem in CM could be too bad.

Readers may wish to search the CM forum and read through the many hundreds of pages of debate on the subject of pollution that take place every year, it'll make for a real eye opener if you are not aware of the facts. Put another way, if Pasadena ever encountered the same levels of pollution that Mae Hong Son did in April, the US government would have forceibly evacuated the entire city and erected a barbed wire fence around it.

Edited by chiang mai

An interesting discussion about the air pollution since I will be arriving in CM in mid to late February next year.

From what has been said, it seems like the pollution is mostly smoke related rather than hydrocarbon based (automobile emissions, etc.). Having grown up in a suburb of Houston, Texas that had an informal motto of "The air is greener in Pasadener," I can't imagine the problem in CM could be too bad.

See this link:

Is Chiang Mai habitable by humans?

See this link:

Is Chiang Mai habitable by humans?

Interesting article. Thanks.