Thai Consulate In Perth Closing In October

A friend of mine was enquiring about getting a visa from there. Their answer included the following note:

Please note that our office is closing as of 14th October 2010. After this date you will be required to deal with the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra.

It sounds as if the Honary Consol there is retiring at last. If so I wish him all the best for the future as he has helped the people who got visas and Thailand for many years. It will be a sad loss and I am sure he will be missed. It is the most helpful and human Consoate of any that I have come in contact with for any country.

Australia, Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra 111 Empire Circuit, Yarralumla, A.C.T. 2600,

Rod. A lot of ex-pats used to go to Perth to get a one year "O" visa as the flight were afirly reasonabl.So where do they go now in Aus as Canberra is a lot longer journey than Perth

Australia, Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra 111 Empire Circuit, Yarralumla, A.C.T. 2600,

Rod. A lot of ex-pats used to go to Perth to get a one year "O" visa as the flight were afirly reasonabl.So where do they go now in Aus as Canberra is a lot longer journey than Perth

You can go to Sydney or Brisbane.

You can go to Sydney or Brisbane.

Will they be as willing in handing out visas as Perth???

There has also been at least 1 report that Brisbane refused to issue an O-A visa (to an Australian).

The O-A may have been refused because the applicant was not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia or he did not meet the criteria for the visa

Edited by electau

There has also been at least 1 report that Brisbane refused to issue an O-A visa (to an Australian).

The O-A may have been refused because the applicant was not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.

I assure you that that person is Australian as it was me. I received an email from Brisbane indicating that they would issue an OA but on arrival with bank statements, medical, police clearance etc was told that they could not do the OA any more and I had to go to Perth or Canberra. Finished up with just a 12 month non imm O Visa and very pissed off. Bugger as I had intended to get the OA on my next trip to Perth.

Just in my opinion with Perth being one of the most isolated cities in the Western world the Thai authorities would not leave it without consular services for too long.

BUT that's my logic not theirs. :jap:

Just in my opinion with Perth being one of the most isolated cities in the Western world the Thai authorities would not leave it without consular services for too long.

BUT that's my logic not theirs. :jap:

Perth does have a large Thai population to service but it may be that in todays age of the internet and efficient phone services they may decide to do it allfrom Canberra. A sad loss in Perth's case as Bill Jameison has been a leader in supporting Thai Australian Organisations in Perth and helping both Thai nationals and those who have a love of Thailand as he has.

The O-A may have been refused because the applicant was not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia or he did not meet the criteria for the visa

Thai Consulate Perth closing means no more Non-Immigrant-O on the basis of visiting friends/relatives for those of us who are under the age of 50 :realangry: . Hull, England is it - but too far for me.

Just called Thai Consulate in Brisbane and talked to a nice Thai lady named TIM - she said They will issue Non-Immigrant-O with multiple entries (Cost AUD$225.00) valid for 12 months (you can stretch it to 15 months) - with the following proof of docs (Copies):

1. Title to your condo here in Thailand with your name on it

2. 2 photos

3. Your passport

4. Thai Bank Statement or Bank Book - no required amount but the more the merrier.

5. Fill out application

Guess where I'll be flying in November :P ?

Just one more year and I'll be 50 -

They obviously didn't think he met the criteria.

Since when has being an Australian Citizen or resident

been a requisite to obtaining a visa for Thailand?

Regards

Will

Regards

Will

For a O-A visa it is a requirement that you apply in your own country (or country of residence) and nowhere else.

Other visa's you can apply elsewhere, except for certain nationalities which can only apply for a visa in their country of residence for any kind of Thai visa.

Regards

Will

For a O-A visa it is a requirement that you apply in your own country (or country of residence) and nowhere else.

Other visa's you can apply elsewhere, except for certain nationalities which can only apply for a visa in their country of residence for any kind of Thai visa.

Oh,

I didn't kmow that.

I know an English guy who got a non-immi from Perth.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Just called Thai Consulate in Brisbane and talked to a nice Thai lady named TIM - she said They will issue Non-Immigrant-O with multiple entries (Cost AUD$225.00) valid for 12 months (you can stretch it to 15 months) - with the following proof of docs (Copies):

1. Title to your condo here in Thailand with your name on it

How about people who don't own a condo, but are renting instead?? :ermm:

from the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs website -- http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2489

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA 1. REQUIREMENT This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes: - other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

--- 'Doesn't say anything about condos or rentals; doesn't say anything about 'visiting friends' either.

from the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs website -- http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2489

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA 1. REQUIREMENT This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes: - other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

--- 'Doesn't say anything about condos or rentals; doesn't say anything about 'visiting friends' either.

If you have been following along about getting NON-O on the basis of visting friends/relatives (Hull/Perth) and owning a condo (Brisbane) - you would have noticed that different Thai consulates interpret the requirement differently despite the regulations even here in Thailand different immigration offices handle things differently - TIT.

There has been many postings in regard to Hull and Perth consulates issuing Non-O on the basis of visiting friends and I can tell you first hand that I got my Non-O visa from Perth on the basis of visiting friends last year. As Perth will be closing, I called Brisbane the other day and asked for their requirement for Non-O which I shared in my previous post.

So despite what's written down in the book somewhere, this is what Brisbane Thai Consulate requires for getting a Non-O Visa - at least for now.

As you say: ... at least for now. Interpretations are transitory; rules are permanent at least until amended. Good luck , however, because according to reports herein, some of the consulates may be confused in their interpretation of the MoFA and other regulations.

The current Thailand Ambassador at The Royal Thai Embassy in London was appointed in 2550 (2007) The Ambassador prior to the current Ambassador served for 3 years.

The present (Hon.) Consul -- Royal Thai Consualate at Hull, Mr. Alan Taylor, was appointed in 1980.

"The Royal Thai Consulate in Hull was opened in 1922 and was the first consulate for Thailand (then Siam) to be established in the United Kingdom." ... although the first Siam Ambassador to England dates to 2400 (1857)

If one lives in Australia you will have a permanent address and all contact with the consulates and embassy can be done by registered mail, telephone and fax.

And the easiest way to go the O-A route is to obtain an O visa in Australia and change it to O-A in Thailand.

And that takes about 7 days by mail.

However if you come to Australia just to get a visa and you only have Thai documents and no permanent address here you MAY have problems.

Singapore is closer.