Live-In Maids / Housekeepers / Cooks

chaihot

How much do you pay your LIVE IN maid.  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(Other thread on this topic was incomplete: http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3687626)

The topic is LIVE-IN FULL-TIME maids who also cook one meal per day and perform general yard work as part of their duties. She isn't a nanny as we do not have any children.

We "inherited" a maid when we bought the house and she is outstanding. But she will finish her studies at the end of the year and move on. We will be looking to replace her.

What do you pay for your maid/cook? And what does she do?

Around 4000 baht. Start a little lower of course.

Does everything mentioned in the list, but not things like arrange repairs, they're not really qualified to do any negotiating or have any responsibilities outside of the house such as major shopping. (DOes do minor shopping for vegetables et al at the local market). And of course any kind of menial job she does, from washing the dog, cleaning the aquarium, taking care of the garden, washing the car, brushing my shoes; you name it. That's what maids are for, to do shit that you don't want to do. Which is a lot, in my case.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is a surprise to me. :)

Less than 5% of replies actually participated in the poll. I would have thought the number would have been much higher as I thought (mistakenly of course) that maid and maid salaries would have been an important item. Just the thread on choosing a washing machine for clothes ran four pages of posts!!

Maybe there is more concern for washing machine because more TV expats do their own laundry and don't have maids??

Interesting!! Thanks for those who added their comments.

I have two maids that are just amazing that are available for work, Since tendering my resignation a couple of days ago these two ladies wish to find employment else where, two of the best Thai people that i have had the pleasure to work with and really deserve a nice job with a good boss.

Also i have 2 security guards that break the normal mode for Thai security guards and actually do the job ask of them rather than sneak off for a cheeky sleep, all four are 100% decent honest reliable people that for the last 13 months restore my faith in the human race and prove that there are 'good' Thai people in the Pattaya area

If your interested please PM me

guess the response in poll is slow as it covers live-in maids only. I for one have a maid coming all weekdays, but would hate the idea of having her living with us.

if you don't mind mate, how much does that cost ?

guess the response in poll is slow as it covers live-in maids only. I for one have a maid coming all weekdays, but would hate the idea of having her living with us.

That is very interesting raro. I didn't consider that.

I read in previous posts on TV that one of the objections of having a maid that didn't live-in was that the poster didn't like the constant activity of her movement - leaving with something each day feeling as though he was being stolen from.

My situation was slightly difficult in the beginning. I have mentioned that we "inherited" the maid with the house. The previous owners integrated the maid (and her child) into the meals and everyone ate together. We tried that for one day and the maid confessed to my wife that she was never comfortable at the table. Neither was I so that worked out for the better. She now eats in her room with her child.

The second part of the situation is that she and her child live in our guest house which is away from the main house. That made it easier for me to deal with a live-in, and didn't take away from my privacy.

However, life changes again as we are training a niece to take the maid's place and she lives IN the house. That has also taken some adjustment as I have to be slightly more modest about what I wear around the house. On the other hand, my wife is more comfortable because it is "family".

Neither situation has been "as bad as I thought". Having a maid with a child or having someone living in the house takes getting used to. But so far ... so good.

I don't know how it would be with a "daily" maid. I wonder if you acquire as much loyalty with a maid who works daily vs a maid who lives with you.

Thanks for the comment.

We pay 6,000, she does the house in the morning and the office in the afternoon.

We pay 6,000, she does the house in the morning and the office in the afternoon.

TX mate

Oh that's why you would hate the idea of having her living with you :lol:

Edited by basjke