Artist Working From Thailand

I've asked this question on another forum, but I will ask again here and see what what else can be added.

I live and work in the UK as an artist selling my work through a number of galleries and Ebay. I want to spend somtime in Thailand, but I need to contiune my work.

If i paint in Thailand and send the work back to the UK via Fedex or UPS am I breaking the law?

All payments will be made to my UK bank account.

Surley painting in Thailand is not ilegal?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Raw_umber

If you're working here, then technically you need a work permit even if it's unpaid work. There may also be an issue as to whether any tax should be paid as your income could be said to be generated here in Thailand, even if the sales are made abroad. The $64,000 question, of course, is whether you would be caught and whether something drastic would be done if you were. Not really possible to give you a firm answer, but make sure you don't rub one of the locals up the wrong way over here: they can grass on you.

Certainly if you are painting at home, and it's your "pastime", no issue.

If you are sending personal property to the UK on a regular basis, no problem.

You're getting paid in the UK, no problem.

You should only worry about having the money you transfer in seem to come from current income in the UK. That would be considered taxable here, no matter where the money comes from. This is based on info I've gathered from reading thaivisa forums.

As long as the Thai authorities have no way to tie what you do to Thai income, you shouldn't have to worry. Just don't advertise it, as has been said before about 'working' here and getting paid in one's home country.

It's a bit grey, all around though, isn't it? You need a work permit to do volunteer work to help tsunami victims. You can't build your own house with your own sweat, technically, without a work permit!

Well, good luck. Oil or acrylic?

Thanks for the replies there really helpful..I was really hoping to be able continue my work from Thailand not only from the financhial point of view, but I would lose all interest and contacts i have built up in the UK over the last few years if I had to stop work for a period of time.

any ideas how would I get access to my money could I just keep Uk bank account and use my debit card at a atm machine?

Maybe just use my credit card?

I paint in watercolours so not to much bulk or weight to send back.

Thanks

Edited by Raw_umber

What I do is use my checking account VISA/atm card to get "cash advances" at the local Bangkok Bank currency exchange window or any branch.

No extra fees, just the cost of the currency exchange rate, maybe not the absolute best, but not bad. It beats using my card at ATM's.

Also, I recently found out the hard way that my Citi credit card started charging 3% on foreign currency transactions. Same for my AT&T card. Thanks VISA, etc. Can't use these card around here anymore.

I've heard that MBNA does not (yet) charge a 3% fee. My bank does not, but I fear using the VISA debit too much, in case some no no gets my info and steals my money (that would make me the no no, no? :o )

Spoken like a true punster, chownah.

Update on my statement about my Debit/VISA.

I just found out, to my deep chagrin, that my Bank of America checking/saving company in the US (Bank of America) is delighted to charge me 3% for not only purchases, but also cash advances from my debit card. I say delighted, because their customer service response ranges from incomplete to arrogantly entitled to my money).

This ruins my feeling of comfort and convenience in this country. I'm glad it's not as bad as Bob Geldof's armful of cash for coffee in Africa, but it means that I have to jump through hoops and pay fees to get my US funds into Thailand and spend cash for things - or pay up to $3 per $100 for purchases after currency conversion.

Sorry to have spoken too soon about this in my earlier post.

With just a bit of common sense caution you should easily be able to keep working and avoid Raw umber becoming Burnt umber!!

:o

I better start packing my brushes then, and get myself over there... its got to be better than painting under constant grey skies in the UK.

Upcountry, thats a lot of money there asking, but there is no alternative? I will just have to add it on to the cost of my work. Thanks for you help it's been really useful.

If I were in your shoes, I would make sure I do not tell anybody that you are selling the pictures you paint - if anybody asks its just a hobby. Seems like its mostly other farang that cause trouble with immigration so be very wary of who you talk to about your business. Same can be said for most things in Thailand.

I agree with Digger that you should not hang a sign outside saying "will paint for rice", because you will get nailed. No, seriously, keep a low profile and you should be okay.

Be sure you can deal with the heat and humidity. Best if you can be happy without air conditioning becuase it's getting very expensive to enjoy that luxury - though it seems like more of a necessity to me.

As for banks, I'm learning that non-brick and mortar banks may be an option. I've heard good things about Everbank and Bank of the Internet. I plan to see if I can avoid that 3% with them.

At the same time, I'm more motivated now to get a Thai credit card and keep more money in the bank here, even though they don't pay interest to farang.