Nana Plaza

lufc74

Hi,

Just wanted some info on nana plaza, and what is going on, regarding the curfew/state of emergency, or what ever its called now.

Basically is it still open until 2am..ish, or is it being closed early with whats going on in BKK at the moment.

Arrive in a few days and was hoping to pop down and have a few drinks down there....as you do !!

Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

John.

Hmmm... Nothing was going on in BKK before I head back to work just 5 days ago. Stayed there for a whole month... However something might have changed since I left, I don't watch TV/News so I don't know.

To the OP----Don't you read the newspapers or look at any news channels.

Bangkok problems have been over for ages. Already had a district election in Bangkok and the government (with some uniquely Thai problems of course) are going along as before. This forum is of course for questions and answers, but sometimes some posters seem to come from another planet and not quite in touch with reality.

To the OP----Don't you read the newspapers or look at any news channels.

Bangkok problems have been over for ages. Already had a district election in Bangkok and the government (with some uniquely Thai problems of course) are going along as before. This forum is of course for questions and answers, but sometimes some posters seem to come from another planet and not quite in touch with reality.

In touch with reality? That's About 99% of the posters on this forum.:lol:

Nana is being demolished, well parts of it anyways.

Beer bars in the centre are being removed.

The reason for the removal of the center ground floor bars is for public fire safety because of the terrific of loss of life a while back.

The reason for the removal of the center ground floor bars is for public fire safety because of the terrific of loss of life a while back.

What loss of life?In Nana Plaza? Did I miss something? A fire or earthquake perhaps, please I want to know if my GF is okay!!

Edited by Pushit

There was a bit of a curfew/S-O-E during the troubles of May 1993 but didnt seem to bother anybody too much......

Cowboy/Nana ents was still buzzing and as usual I had a few hangovers that week...sad outcome but...... :( TIT

There was a bit of a curfew/S-O-E during the troubles of May 1993 but didnt seem to bother anybody too much......

Cowboy/Nana ents was still buzzing and as usual I had a few hangovers that week...sad outcome but...... :( TIT

Kor Tort ...1992...

What loss of life?In Nana Plaza? Did I miss something? A fire or earthquake perhaps, please I want to know if my GF is okay!!

Is that the girl in the front entrance that is always saying "hello handsome man I love you long time.":lol:

Thanks for the sensible replies,

Thainet,

Seeing i'm in the UK at the moment, and all the info is still saying its under curfew, i thought i'd come on here to get a locals opinion. I had looked through the bangkok post, but obviously i'm not going to trawl through days and days of info, when i can come on here and get some friendly help......By the way, i'd also googled the same question and was still insure. Just asked for a little advice, isn't that what the forum is for....anyway, to the other posters...thanks.

Edited by lufc74

seeing i'm in the UK at the moment, and all the info is still saying its under curfew, i thought i'd come on here to get a locals opinion. I had looked through the bangkok post, but obviously i'm not going to trawl through days and days of info, when i can come on here and get some friendly help...... you k %* b !!

By the way, i'd also googled the same question and was still insure.

Everything is open but very few farrangs around and as you would expect in a supply and demand based market the result is that service prices are also down . You may feel a bit like Billy no mates as there aren't many tourists here due to the near civil war a couple of months ago.

seeing i'm in the UK at the moment, and all the info is still saying its under curfew, i thought i'd come on here to get a locals opinion. I had looked through the bangkok post, but obviously i'm not going to trawl through days and days of info, when i can come on here and get some friendly help...... you k %* b !!

By the way, i'd also googled the same question and was still insure.

Everything is open but very few farrangs around and as you would expect in a supply and demand based market the result is that service prices are also down . You may feel a bit like Billy no mates as there aren't many tourists here due to the near civil war a couple of months ago.

I guess some good came out of the March-May riots then. Less demand for happy endings and perhaps some of the girls may end up going home to the north and north east to actually find meaningful jobs - In the past that have been hard too, but the focus in on this area from the government (hopefully). Great for some people with lower prices in Soi Cowboy and Nana, but I would not be happy to see my daughters working in Soi Cowboy and so on - hence they study hard and are feeling happy about the increased focus on education from the current government. Why don't the OP have a drink at his hotel, go for a run in the morning at Lumpini park, then stretch and have a coffee around there - just to meet the average Thai. Kind of fun instead of the stereotype at Nana - but hey, it's your holiday.

Nana Plaza is open until 2 AM most nights. Perhaps one or two nights a week it is closed early by the boys in brown, not usually before 1 AM though.

Three three beer bars in the central part of the ground floor have been demolished and it will probably be a few more days before the rubble has been completely removed. These two photos were taken in Nana Plaza late afternoon / early evening Friday.

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition2.jpg

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition3.jpg

Nana Plaza is open until 2 AM most nights. Perhaps one or two nights a week it is closed early by the boys in brown, not usually before 1 AM though.

Three three beer bars in the central part of the ground floor have been demolished and it will probably be a few more days before the rubble has been completely removed. These two photos were taken in Nana Plaza late afternoon / early evening Friday.

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition2.jpg

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition3.jpg

Is it CNN I-report or ? Yes, things are being demolished, demand is down, the boys in brown are getting into trouble and so on. Over all this business model is doing fine, doing OK or in trouble? I haven't seen any conclusive evidence yet, but it seems to me that the holes are drying up...

Last week, there was a small fire in the rear of the Nana Plaza. Fire trucks responding to the fire had difficulty entering and exiting the plaza because, as usual, the narrow entrance was congested with motorbikes and delivery vehicles.

Apparently, one of the top fire officials in the city was on scene and made the shocking discovery that the place was a fire trap and that there would be no way to get equipment close to the back side of the plaza if a major fire did occur there, thus a ruling was made that the illegally constructed central bars (Pharoes, ect.) had to be removed immediately.

NaChampain, think you might be confusing 'state of emergency' for 'curfew' which is fair enough- I still do a double-take every time I read the phrase.

I am not sure why you focus on me? I would like to talk with you too, but perhaps we can find another reason than curfew or S. of E. I have looked at my last posts, and I am not sure I connect to what you say even if I do a triple salto :whistling: or just your double take...

Ah sorry, I was going by this post-

seeing i'm in the UK at the moment, and all the info is still saying its under curfew

There is no curfew in Bangkok. It ended on 29 May, 10 days after the redshirt occupation ended.

- but I realise now that Sabaijai accidentally attributed a quote by Lufc74 to you. So my post should read-

Lufc74, think you might be confusing 'state of emergency' for 'curfew' which is fair enough- I still do a double-take every time I read the phrase.

cool.gif

Ah sorry, I was going by this post-

seeing i'm in the UK at the moment, and all the info is still saying its under curfew

There is no curfew in Bangkok. It ended on 29 May, 10 days after the redshirt occupation ended.

- but I realise now that Sabaijai accidentally attributed a quote by Lufc74 to you. So my post should read-

Lufc74, think you might be confusing 'state of emergency' for 'curfew' which is fair enough- I still do a double-take every time I read the phrase.

cool.gif

No problem here. I was just curious, and it's clear now. Thx. Have a good one at Nana - if you go despite the curfew:lol: Couldn't help it.

Last week, there was a small fire in the rear of the Nana Plaza. Fire trucks responding to the fire had difficulty entering and exiting the plaza because, as usual, the narrow entrance was congested with motorbikes and delivery vehicles.

Apparently, one of the top fire officials in the city was on scene and made the shocking discovery that the place was a fire trap and that there would be no way to get equipment close to the back side of the plaza if a major fire did occur there, thus a ruling was made that the illegally constructed central bars (Pharoes, ect.) had to be removed immediately.

:blink: <deleted>... common sense and safety standards.... IN THAILAND?! And actually ACTED upon? Is it opposite day?

:blink: <deleted>... common sense and safety standards.... IN THAILAND?! And actually ACTED upon? Is it opposite day?

Maybe they need to bribe the fire brigade as well now.

The latest rumours coming out of Nana Plaza are absolutely mystifying. It has been mooted that those who were leasing the now empty spaces on the ground floor of Nana Plaza have applied for permission to build new structures in their place - and permission has been granted! If true, it makes a mockery of the demolition and would indicate what some of us thought - that the structures had perhaps been built without building permission in the first place and have finally been ordered to be demolished. Rumour has it that if / when the new structure is built, the walkways on either side have to be wider than they were.

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition5.jpg

NanaPlazaBeerBarsDemolition4.jpg

I kinda like that rubble in the middle, adds a certain ambience. But seriously, only one way into nana makes it a fire hazard or worse.

Personally I think they should setup a mud wrestling ring in the middle where those bars were. Times are tough-need to diversify the product offering. ;)