Kajonkietsuksa School Phuket

Chozen1

A couple of points.

I was not sure what the accreditation from Cambridge really meant. If Kajonkiet was now an examination centre - i.e. a place where exam papers could be safely lodged and examinations invigilated - then OK this might be a step in the right direction, BUT I suspect it does not have the same level of accreditation as "Headstart". The cost of books and teaching materials approved by Cambridge, used by Headstart are considerable. KajonKiet being a sort of banking operation, vaguely in the education field, may not be happy to pay for the necessary support and materials to become an 'international school'. Teachers at an International School need to be properly qualified registered teachers and paid for their expertise. Again a stumbling block for KajonKiet.

My second point concerns an aspect of the financial emphasis prevalent in the school. I was passed a copy of the following document which I reproduce exactly from the original.

CLASSROOM RULES FOR P3 RED

1. If you do not finish your homework on time its 5 baht to the class bank. If you are in extra English and your homework is not finished, its 10 baht. There is no reason your homework should not be done (unless of course you have a valid reason).

2. No speaking Thai during English classes or its 5 baht to the class bank.

3. You must wear your shoes when you are outside of the classroom. If not, 20 baht to the class bank. Your parents do not want to buy new socks all the time and its dirty and dangerous outside.

4. No eating in the classroom. If you are eating you will sweep the floor.

5. No using bad language in the classroom. If I hear it, its 10baht to the class bank.

6. No fighting. No violence. At all. If you are fighting, you will get a letter sent home to your parents immediately.

7. No copying. If you are caught copying, BOTH you and whoever you are copying from owe the class ban 20 baht. There is no need to copy, if you have a question, just ask. That is what I am here for

8. If I take your toys or other items you are playing with during class, it will be 5 baht to get it back and you must wait until the end of class. Class time is not the time to play, its time to learn.

* Money that is put into the classroom bank will be used to pay for end of term partie, supplies for our classroom (pencils, rubbers, glue etc.), or other school related projects.

My comments on the above

a. The English language employed is no example to any person in the English department. e.g. Its and it's are very different - the children know this.

b. It starts off in hilarious mode. "there is no reason" ........."unless you have a valid reason". So there are reasons????

c. The class bank is for end of term parties?? Why then do parents all bring food and drink to supply these parties? Supplies for the school and school related projects should all come from our highly inflated fees.

If this is official school policy and not just a 'maverick' action by one teacher it is disgraceful.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i worked there a very long time ago, and i have mates who still work at kajonkiet. i would say that mostly what you posted is from a maverick teacher EXCEPT for the thai bank. children speaking thai during english classes usually pay 1 baht to the thai bank. the thai bank is then used for an end of term party for the children. that is how i did it, and that is how my mates do it. not defending/discrediting, just saying...

i worked there a very long time ago, and i have mates who still work at kajonkiet. i would say that mostly what you posted is from a maverick teacher EXCEPT for the thai bank. children speaking thai during english classes usually pay 1 baht to the thai bank. the thai bank is then used for an end of term party for the children. that is how i did it, and that is how my mates do it. not defending/discrediting, just saying...

The fining children for not speaking Thai in English class has been stopped. 1 baht? lol ..must have been a long time ago...last year, in some classes they were being fined 5 baht.

A couple of points.

I was not sure what the accreditation from Cambridge really meant. If Kajonkiet was now an examination centre - i.e. a place where exam papers could be safely lodged and examinations invigilated - then OK this might be a step in the right direction, BUT I suspect it does not have the same level of accreditation as "Headstart". The cost of books and teaching materials approved by Cambridge, used by Headstart are considerable. KajonKiet being a sort of banking operation, vaguely in the education field, may not be happy to pay for the necessary support and materials to become an 'international school'. Teachers at an International School need to be properly qualified registered teachers and paid for their expertise. Again a stumbling block for KajonKiet.

My second point concerns an aspect of the financial emphasis prevalent in the school. I was passed a copy of the following document which I reproduce exactly from the original.

CLASSROOM RULES FOR P3 RED

1. If you do not finish your homework on time its 5 baht to the class bank. If you are in extra English and your homework is not finished, its 10 baht. There is no reason your homework should not be done (unless of course you have a valid reason).

2. No speaking Thai during English classes or its 5 baht to the class bank.

3. You must wear your shoes when you are outside of the classroom. If not, 20 baht to the class bank. Your parents do not want to buy new socks all the time and its dirty and dangerous outside.

4. No eating in the classroom. If you are eating you will sweep the floor.

5. No using bad language in the classroom. If I hear it, its 10baht to the class bank.

6. No fighting. No violence. At all. If you are fighting, you will get a letter sent home to your parents immediately.

7. No copying. If you are caught copying, BOTH you and whoever you are copying from owe the class ban 20 baht. There is no need to copy, if you have a question, just ask. That is what I am here for

8. If I take your toys or other items you are playing with during class, it will be 5 baht to get it back and you must wait until the end of class. Class time is not the time to play, its time to learn.

* Money that is put into the classroom bank will be used to pay for end of term partie, supplies for our classroom (pencils, rubbers, glue etc.), or other school related projects.

My comments on the above

a. The English language employed is no example to any person in the English department. e.g. Its and it's are very different - the children know this.

b. It starts off in hilarious mode. "there is no reason" ........."unless you have a valid reason". So there are reasons????

c. The class bank is for end of term parties?? Why then do parents all bring food and drink to supply these parties? Supplies for the school and school related projects should all come from our highly inflated fees.

If this is official school policy and not just a 'maverick' action by one teacher it is disgraceful.

ahahaha this form is available? I haven't seen it but i'm not surprised. Some teachers were fining kids for all sorts of things...not just for speaking in Thai during English, but one teacher even confessed of fining kids for almost anything, especially if the teacher was in a bad mood. But they have done away with that now, which I think is good.

The fining children for not speaking Thai in English class has been stopped. 1 baht? lol ..must have been a long time ago...last year, in some classes they were being fined 5 baht.

The letter that I posted was received recently by a number of parents, which is how I got it. The reason that I posted it was that I consider having a child of say 9 or 10 come home to Mum or Dad and ask for money to pay fines is outrageous.

If this was a 'maverick' action then it doesn't say much for the management of the school that such unofficial missives can be sent home. But then again the management of the school is more on 'financial' emphasis (so it appears) than a cohesive educational strategy.

My view is that for those who can afford it, Headstart looks to be a very promising alternative.

i am not aware of the letter being circulated, as i try to stay out of "kajonkiet politics"...i agree with you that children coming home needing money for fines is outrageous. it's a sad case, but the school is run like a business...i know some teachers who have really tried to change things and who do really care about the kids they teach and the education they are receiving, and often times their comments/wants/needs are overlooked. i don't have children, so i feel like i can't be so opinionated on the schools in phuket. i charged 1 baht and yes you can laugh, the kids did too. but i taught little ones and i thought it to be fair. i worked there over two years ago.

The letter that I posted was received recently by a number of parents, which is how I got it. The reason that I posted it was that I consider having a child of say 9 or 10 come home to Mum or Dad and ask for money to pay fines is outrageous.

If this was a 'maverick' action then it doesn't say much for the management of the school that such unofficial missives can be sent home. But then again the management of the school is more on 'financial' emphasis (so it appears) than a cohesive educational strategy.

My view is that for those who can afford it, Headstart looks to be a very promising alternative.

Thank god for this thread.. the more *BS* added the more proof i have to shut my gf about this school and i can now send the kids to QSI with no doubt.

Kajonkiet sounds like its run by the people who keep driving out of driveways/small streets without looking at incoming cars

i am not aware of the letter being circulated, as i try to stay out of "kajonkiet politics"...i agree with you that children coming home needing money for fines is outrageous. it's a sad case, but the school is run like a business...i know some teachers who have really tried to change things and who do really care about the kids they teach and the education they are receiving, and often times their comments/wants/needs are overlooked. i don't have children, so i feel like i can't be so opinionated on the schools in phuket. i charged 1 baht and yes you can laugh, the kids did too. but i taught little ones and i thought it to be fair. i worked there over two years ago.

Having raised this issue, and having read many/most of the comments previously I feel that I must make a serious point.

The management of the school is, as many have already alleged, run as a business and therefore those in charge have little understanding of "educational management issues". It is a family concern and the main concern is MONEY. There are to my certain knowledge a number of highly motivated, very dedicated, concerned and compassionate English teachers together with a sprinkling of reasonable Thai teachers. They are in the main ignored because they are doing their job and there are few complaints. I feel for them in what can only be described as 'abysmal working conditions' and I suspect that many are on the lookout for other opportunities.

In the end it is the Children that lose out despite the best efforts of the few. But hey! this is Thailand - the centre of the Universe - so who cares?

you've nailed it all down in the post above. it is the children who lose out, and it's sad that it has to be that way. and it's sad that those teachers who are giving their best efforts feel frustrated on a daily basis. this thread could go on and on, and i am sure it will...but really valid points from you. and having friends that work there, i do appreciate the validity.

Having raised this issue, and having read many/most of the comments previously I feel that I must make a serious point.

The management of the school is, as many have already alleged, run as a business and therefore those in charge have little understanding of "educational management issues". It is a family concern and the main concern is MONEY. There are to my certain knowledge a number of highly motivated, very dedicated, concerned and compassionate English teachers together with a sprinkling of reasonable Thai teachers. They are in the main ignored because they are doing their job and there are few complaints. I feel for them in what can only be described as 'abysmal working conditions' and I suspect that many are on the lookout for other opportunities.

In the end it is the Children that lose out despite the best efforts of the few. But hey! this is Thailand - the centre of the Universe - so who cares?

I agree completely. It's very frustrating and disheartening as a teacher who is trying to do the best possible for the children. Kajon must reconsider its methods because in the end they will be faced with a lot more competition. Their system may have worked in the past but education is rapidly changing and so is the clientele. If businesses do not keep up with the trends, there's usually one way to go...and that's down.

You should also try and get a list of all the reasons why teachers are fined.

I simply could not help but to chime in on what I consider to be a fairly biased attack on a school that is trying to do a good job at educating children. Every business has their faults, but every business also has their strengths. This school is willing to look at what is not working and work towards positive growth and change. Charging students for speaking Thai in their English speaking classrooms has been discouraged by management; fining teachers for certain behaviours isn't a way for the school to "make more money" but as a way to discourage behaviours that are not conducive to running a business; adding an International Program provides families with a wider array of educational offerings.

A warning to others, be careful when reading such biased posts, as it is the disgruntled current or former employees of this school that seem to feel it is their mission to defame the school. I find it rather unprofessional, especially from a current employee, to spread such blasphemy from the company that is paying your salary. In other businesses, you would lose your job for doing so. Some information on this post is true, but most are only "half-truths", while others are simply unsubstantiated rumors.

A warning to others, be careful when reading such biased posts, as it is the disgruntled current or former employees of this school

There seem to be an awful lot of them over the years........wonder why that is?

Fortunately we live in a world where information is readily available. Gone are the days when employers could do unethical things to staff and no one could speak about it. If you run a business, especially an educational business then you will be constantly under scrutiny. The comments made by people on this forum are hardly unfounded, nor are they disgruntled teachers, that is an assumption you are making. Given that you have such an intimate knowledge of the school, people and circumstances could you please identify and highlight all the following:

1. The blasphemous half truths written about the school.

2. The types of bad behaviours the teachers are displaying that warrant already underpaid teachers to pay fines.

3. Please list the unsubstantiated rumours.

4. Outline and highlight the International Curriculum being taught at the school. If you find this International Curriculum could you please post it so that parents and teachers may have access?

I simply could not help but to chime in on what I consider to be a fairly biased attack on a school that is trying to do a good job at educating children. Every business has their faults, but every business also has their strengths. This school is willing to look at what is not working and work towards positive growth and change. Charging students for speaking Thai in their English speaking classrooms has been discouraged by management; fining teachers for certain behaviours isn't a way for the school to "make more money" but as a way to discourage behaviours that are not conducive to running a business; adding an International Program provides families with a wider array of educational offerings.

A warning to others, be careful when reading such biased posts, as it is the disgruntled current or former employees of this school that seem to feel it is their mission to defame the school. I find it rather unprofessional, especially from a current employee, to spread such blasphemy from the company that is paying your salary. In other businesses, you would lose your job for doing so. Some information on this post is true, but most are only "half-truths", while others are simply unsubstantiated rumors.

Of course everyone has a right to an opinion, but the above seems to me either to be a pretty transparent attempt to curry favour with the school management, or an uninformed view of what school management is all about. A few points.

"Charging Students" has been discouraged. I see!! So it hasn't been banned just not approved or as you say "discouraged".

"Fining Teachers for certain behaviours"...... "discourage behaviours not conducive to running a business". No wonder that teachers are disgruntled and fed up in this 'business environment' when they obviously thought they were trying to work in an 'educational environment'. You clearly know nothing about how to manage and motivate professional people and neither does the school that you are championing.

"Adding an international program". You clearly do not know what is necessary to have an accredited international curriculum. It is not just a matter of opening a building and collecting the extra fees. Also being an examination centre is not the same as having accreditation as an international school.

Finally you end your ******* rant with the charge that some are spreading "blasphemy" about the company that pays them. This rather odd and totally inappropriate sentiment betrays your biased and ********* position. Thank you for posting, now other parents can see the type of quality their fees are buying. NOT IMPRESSIVE at all.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flaming not allowed. Removed ..

Fortunately we live in a world where information is readily available. Gone are the days when employers could do unethical things to staff and no one could speak about it. If you run a business, especially an educational business then you will be constantly under scrutiny. The comments made by people on this forum are hardly unfounded, nor are they disgruntled teachers, that is an assumption you are making. Given that you have such an intimate knowledge of the school, people and circumstances could you please identify and highlight all the following:

2. The types of bad behaviours the teachers are displaying that warrant already underpaid teachers to pay fines.

4. Outline and highlight the International Curriculum being taught at the school. If you find this International Curriculum could you please post it so that parents and teachers may have access?

I have, since this post started, spent a good deal of time talking to parents of children sent to study at at Kajonkiet. Most of them are actually pretty happy with most things. This, in most cases, would be the result of a lack of choice or just the fact that people (including myself) can't afford the big step it means to move them to an IP school. I, too, worry about the fact that most highly educated Thais I met can't point out their own country on a world map or know who Hitler was....Agree ?

A warning to others, be careful when reading such biased posts, as it is the disgruntled current or former employees of this school

There seem to be an awful lot of them over the years........wonder why that is?

I think you'll find disgruntled employees from every type of business in the world, not just in the education field.

I have, since this post started, spent a good deal of time talking to parents of children sent to study at at Kajonkiet. Most of them are actually pretty happy with most things. This, in most cases, would be the result of a lack of choice or just the fact that people (including myself) can't afford the big step it means to move them to an IP school. I, too, worry about the fact that most highly educated Thais I met can't point out their own country on a world map or know who Hitler was....Agree ?

I agree. Unfortunately there isn't a great option for parents with school children in Phuket. The better schools also charge a greater fee so in the end what there is, is better than nothing at all. I sincerely hope that more positive and equitable changes will be made at KJ but as long as paper money is valued more than the level of education delivered, Thailand will continue to have highly educated Thais who on a plain level field are clueless.

All makes sense. I say again, our kids are there, my daughter now P3 has been there since K1, they like the school and their teachers and as far as I can tell they are progressing well. Luckily for them, mum and dad are always here, and if there are shortfalls in what I think they should know, they get it at home, and are keen to learn, yeh, maybe its just my kids but they enjoy education, they like looking at maps with me, they like watching nature documentaries on TV, they like exploring their environment. Kids cannot learn everything at school, wherever they go to school - parents also need to take a large dose of responsibility. Kajonkiet offers extra classes also, and sports (my son does football).

As napalm says - maybe if we had the money they'd be at a different school or we'd go and live in another country but for now, I am quite happy with Kajonkiet, anyone who is not happy with the education their kids are getting needs to speak to the school or the teachers.

I have concerns about education here, about free thinking and learning about the world outside Thailand, history, geography etc.. but for the basics, which is where my kids are at now, the school is good. And I realise it may be up to me to teach them, or get them interested in learning about things that are not in the Thai curriculum.

Foreigners... that's us.. we have to remember that we are not in our home country. The school curriculum here is not the same as our home countries, nor is the language or the food or the culture. Some things we cannot change, others we can. If you have kids, and you value their future, there may be scarifices to be made. To be honest we are pushing the boat out already with 2 kids at Kajonkiet, the fees for 2 kids come to over 200,000 Baht per year. As parents, we keep a very close eye on what they are learning, making sure homework is done and above all making sure they are happy. There ARE other school choices. I know teachers at Darasamut which has improved over the last couple of years. A good friend put his kid in Thai Hua, which seemed a bit old fashioned to us, but Thai Hua is part of old Phuket, and you'll find very influential locals put their kids in that school.

Ok, basta ya. Enough rambling, everyone can have an opinion. Our daughters biggest complaint about Kajonkiet is the food.

I might add that my mother who was a teacher in the UK for 20 odd years was impressed with the school and the facilities, and I am not going to doubt her opinion.

Night night. School tomorrow.

Of course everyone has a right to an opinion, but the above seems to me either to be a pretty transparent attempt to curry favour with the school management, or an uninformed view of what school management is all about. A few points.

"Charging Students" has been discouraged. I see!! So it hasn't been banned just not approved or as you say "discouraged".

"Fining Teachers for certain behaviours"...... "discourage behaviours not conducive to running a business". No wonder that teachers are disgruntled and fed up in this 'business environment' when they obviously thought they were trying to work in an 'educational environment'. You clearly know nothing about how to manage and motivate professional people and neither does the school that you are championing.

"Adding an international program". You clearly do not know what is necessary to have an accredited international curriculum. It is not just a matter of opening a building and collecting the extra fees. Also being an examination centre is not the same as having accreditation as an international school.

Finally you end your ******* rant with the charge that some are spreading "blasphemy" about the company that pays them. This rather odd and totally inappropriate sentiment betrays your biased and ********* position. Thank you for posting, now other parents can see the type of quality their fees are buying. NOT IMPRESSIVE at all.

I think that you are being a little disingenuous here, if Headstart can progress from what I remember being basically a daycare centre in someones house to an "International School" within a few years then why can't Phukets oldest Private School make a transition to having an International Program in their brand new custom built building. I don't know if they are going to get it right immediately but they deserve the chance and ALL the schools here are businesses first and foremost.

I think that you are being a little disingenuous here, if Headstart can progress from what I remember being basically a daycare centre in someones house to an "International School" within a few years then why can't Phukets oldest Private School make a transition to having an International Program in their brand new custom built building. I don't know if they are going to get it right immediately but they deserve the chance and ALL the schools here are businesses first and foremost.

Hmmmm since you mentioned Headstart let me please explain. The two schools can never be compared at any level. I leave it to your imagination or knowledge to explain why.

let me please explain.... I leave it to your imagination or knowledge to explain why.

Great quote! Let me explain.... I leave it to you to explain, love it!

I am sure there are lots of differences between the schools such as the PRICE and the fact that Headstart has only been there for a year. It's the latest trend, the new school which promises much and I hope it can deliver. In another few years will we have disgruntled ex Headstart staff posting on this forum? ;) <<------ smiley face but half serious actually. By the way Chozen1, other staff at the school read this forum, I am sure you are aware of that. It was mentioned to me a couple of days ago by some teachers I was chatting to. Those teachers were disappointed that a current staff member would choose an internet forum to voice complaints and while they maybe agreed with some of your points, felt that you should perhaps talk to people at the school such as other teachers rather than heading straight for Thai Visa. No school in the world is perfect, but changes can be effected internally. If you had stuck to just making points based on what you had seen... but I think your line "I would not place my child at any such school for both the educational reasons and health reasons"... is not a good thing for a current teacher to say. Have a nice day at school.

• Like 1

let me please explain.... I leave it to your imagination or knowledge to explain why.

Great quote! Let me explain.... I leave it to you to explain, love it!

I am sure there are lots of differences between the schools such as the PRICE and the fact that Headstart has only been there for a year. It's the latest trend, the new school which promises much and I hope it can deliver. In another few years will we have disgruntled ex Headstart staff posting on this forum? ;) <<------ smiley face but half serious actually. By the way Chozen1, other staff at the school read this forum, I am sure you are aware of that. It was mentioned to me a couple of days ago by some teachers I was chatting to. Those teachers were disappointed that a current staff member would choose an internet forum to voice complaints and while they maybe agreed with some of your points, felt that you should perhaps talk to people at the school such as other teachers rather than heading straight for Thai Visa. No school in the world is perfect, but changes can be effected internally. If you had stuck to just making points based on what you had seen... but I think your line "I would not place my child at any such school for both the educational reasons and health reasons"... is not a good thing for a current teacher to say. Have a nice day at school.

Seems to me Chozen1 is doing the right thing. Since the school managment does not listen to their teachers or parents at all, informing others of such behavior could make the administration consider their attitude. Sorry, was just dreaming, they where like this 7 years ago, they will continue like this as long as they have students/parents paying their asking price.

There are some very dedicated teachers at Kajon, and the kids with them are lucky. Good teachers in a school like this can make a good class, since admin doesnt care as long as kids qualify tests.

BTW I believe one of the posters here are from school admin

Every school in the world has good & bad teachers & everything in between. Some are boring, others inspire you to learn, but they should all make sure you get taught according to the curriculum & not just pass any student to ensure the school looks good(unfortunately this happens all too often).

The administrative side is another thing altogether & if they are forcing teachers to go against teaching principles along with imposing monetary punishments then it should be highlighted. Where does the education ministry fit into all of this? With corruption & influence bearing they most likely will not follow their own guidelines in some cases.

Kajon is the subject here but much of what we are reading will be happening all over the country, I am sure they are not unique.

Every school in the world has good & bad teachers & everything in between. Some are boring, others inspire you to learn, but they should all make sure you get taught according to the curriculum & not just pass any student to ensure the school looks good(unfortunately this happens all too often).

The administrative side is another thing altogether & if they are forcing teachers to go against teaching principles along with imposing monetary punishments then it should be highlighted. Where does the education ministry fit into all of this? With corruption & influence bearing they most likely will not follow their own guidelines in some cases.

Kajon is the subject here but much of what we are reading will be happening all over the country, I am sure they are not unique.

They are rather unique in charging 100k/year a head for itB)

Edited by katabeachbum

They are rather unique in charging 100k/year a head for itB)

There is some confusion in this long thread now.... The OP said (quote) "the information is mainly true to the ESC programme and Thai of course". Actually both our kids started kindergarten in the Thai program, our daughter for 2 years and our son for 1 year, and they loved it and we were happy with it - the reason for starting them in Thai was partly financial, but also we felt they needed more Thai language.. although my wife is Thai we speak English 95% of the time at home.

The 100k per year price is for the EP, not for Thai or ESC which us what the OP is "mainly" referring to. We remain very happy with the school and we keep a close eye on things.

Oh, just thought of one complaint - the traffic and parking, especially in the mornings.

We are looking forward to the new building being completed, the plans look very good including sports facilities.

If I was a billionaire the kids might be at BIS, but I am sure that school is not perfect either.

Oh, I was just re-reading the thread and had to laugh at the OP saying "I would be incriminating myself if I answered your questions. LOL." - as I said, sorry, but other teachers know who you are already :) <<<< - another smiley face