Expat Drinking Holes In Saigon

russianrobert

If I travel to Saigon...

Is a taxi the only way to travel from the airport to my hotel in the middle of the city?

I'd rather take a bus... as taxis may just try to cheat me and/or take me to another hotel.

:o

There's a fixed price Airport Taxi service, or find a Mai Linh Taxi, they're pretty reliable.

Sorry, don't know the costs from airport to downtown.

:blink:

Ah, guys....It's not Saigon for quite a while now...it's Ho Chi Minh City. Not that I care, but you won't win any prizes with the locals by still calling it Saigon.

I noticed the locals didn't change the name of their beer to Ho Chi Minh City Beer?

Even in Ha Noi it's still labeled Saigon Beer.

If I travel to Saigon...

Is a taxi the only way to travel from the airport to my hotel in the middle of the city?

I'd rather take a bus... as taxis may just try to cheat me and/or take me to another hotel.

:o

There's a fixed price Airport Taxi service, or find a Mai Linh Taxi, they're pretty reliable.

Sorry, don't know the costs from airport to downtown.

They also have meter taxis there. You shouldn't pay much more than 100,000. Dong from the airport to the centre of Town (Caravelle hotel for example)

Ah, guys....It's not Saigon for quite a while now...it's Ho Chi Minh City. Not that I care, but you won't win any prizes with the locals by still calling it Saigon.

I have been in-and-out of Vietnam for about 8 years now and nobody really cares. The locals I have dealt with prefer 2 syllables to 5 as well.

Most locals prefer to call it Saigon, not HCMC. This was the name 'imposed' on their beloved city. So go with Saigon, nobody will mind.

"Ah, guys....It's not Saigon for quite a while now...it's Ho Chi Minh City. Not that I care, but you won't win any prizes with the locals by still calling it Saigon."

Not sure where you get your information, but many of the locals do still call it Saigon.

"If I travel to Saigon...

I'd rather take a bus... as taxis may just try to cheat me and/or take me to another hotel."

The 152 bus will take you to D1 (Pham Ngu Lao) for around 50,000VND.

You have to walk over to the Domestic terminal to catch the 152. It should still be 5,000VND, but if you have a big bag it'll be double. All said less than $1 to get you to PNL.

Just returned from there a couple of weeks ago. The 152 is 3,000 VND to the Ben

Thahn market and you have to pay the same amount again for any baggage that cannot sit on your lap. The Ben Thahn Market area is the place to stay for most expat /tourist stuff. Quite a cool bus ride too. Beware of the motorcycles and HORNS! Remember, the North imposed itself upon the people of the South, they still call it Saigon.

Most locals prefer to call it Saigon, not HCMC. This was the name 'imposed' on their beloved city. So go with Saigon, nobody will mind.

Correct! :thumbsup: