Tired Of Thailand

pmgthailand

I have lived in Thailand now for almost 5 years and it never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate and self serving that the people are here. There is no consideration for other people whatsoever, when shopping, paying at the tills for something and especially driving. I witness almost on a daily basis inconsiderate driving. When you are trying to leave a parking lot and no one is going anywhere fast you will not be let in to the line, ever! The cars will bunch up bumper to bumper so that no one can get in to line even if you are going nowhere. This amazes me, back in the UK you would be let in, if not by the person in front then the next. This does not exist in Thailand, only in rare cases and it is usually a farang who lets you in. Also in addition, I find that when parking, if they cannot get as close to the place where they wish to get out (within 10 feet usually, then they will park where they wish and dam_n everyone else, even if it means blocking the road or access to the exit. Is this an Asian thing, it is just so self serving and selfish. Me, me, me!!!I went back to Scotland last month and it was a breath of fresh air, just common courtesy and politeness to strangers when out shopping or driving. This is something that I feel is lacking here in Thailand. Any ideas on why this is the norm here??? I'm just tired of Thailand. Double pricing, lies and deceit, dangerous driving, the fact Thais are always right and farangs always wrong and the loss of face thing here is big trouble and causes so many problems.Aren't we taught in the west that pride is one of the seven deadly sins? I'm tired of Thailand now and I think that I will have to leave soon. It is a nice place to visit on holiday but living here is not. It is just too difficult to adjust and I don't really want to if it means becoming a rude, impolite, lying, con artist. And life seems so cheap here!

Anyone else feel the same as I do???

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Too late, I already am one of those bitter (not so old) expats. I find it just too difficult to adjust and don't really want to give up my beliefs and traditions just to live somewhere warm. To me now, the climate is the only reason for living here.

Bitter expat!!!

Maybe someone can remind me why it is so nice to live here???

Nope. Time for you to leave I think. Otherwise you might turn into one of those bitter old expats we hear so much about.

Too late, I already am one of those bitter (not so old) expats. I find it just too difficult to adjust and don't really want to give up my beliefs and traditions just to live somewhere warm. To me now, the climate is the only reason for living here.

Bitter expat!!!

Maybe someone can remind me why it is so nice to live here???

Nope. Time for you to leave I think. Otherwise you might turn into one of those bitter old expats we hear so much about.

If you are so sre you hate te place I am sure your body lanuage etc communicates that. Get out before it gets worse.

Agreed, neither do I. Time for this puppy to finish his experiment away from civilisation. Another dissatisfied customer, needing dwell and overwhelm himself with the perceived negative and blind to any such positives and niceties. Bye-Bye... :jap:

If you think Thailand is bad, you should try other countries to live in and you will appreciate living in Thailand. The neighbouring countries are having the same weather since your only consideration is the warm weather. Maybe you should try and compare if you are tired of Thailand.

Sounds to me like you should return to warm, tropical, Scotland.

As far as cashiers on checkouts are concerned i have always found them friendly.

I always treat Thai people as i expect to be treated myself, it does not hurt to smile occasionally.

As far as parking is concerned there are to many cars for the parking spaces available its just

something you put up with or shift to a quieter area and you wont have that problem.

As far as i am concerned the good here far out weights the bad.

A lot of Farangs here drive as bad if not worse than Thai people.

I think that you are correct, I have been to these neighboring countries and they are not as nice as Thailand, I even spent some time in Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure that it is Asia that I don't like and not just Thailand i particular! Sorry Thailand I did not mean to bash you only!!

I just can't adjust to life here in Asia and I have tried (almost 5 years) I have my own business, employ Thais and pay my taxes! It is just not for me anymore.

Please remind me of the good things here in Thailand!!

Driving is stressful wherever you live. Try London for instance, the times I've had to wait behind a minicab parked in the middle of the road while its African driver takes on or drops off a fare are unimaginable. Parking fines, speed cameras, yellow boxes and attempted thefts and vandalism make car ownership a nightmare.

I stay in the centre of Pattaya and no one could ever induce me to take up driving any vehicle in Pattaya when there are baht buses plying the routes every few minutes and M/C taxis practically on every corner.

I always bear in mind that I am a guest in Thailand, it's not my country and that the Thais look after their own first and foremost, it's a shame this does not occur in the UK. I spend 3 months at a time in Pattaya twice a year and the only things I miss about London are my family, the few friends I have left and my garden. I dare say Scotland is a much better place to live in than the Great Metropolis but I reckon that after a while you will miss the weather, the bars, the girls of Pattaya and the prices of just about everything and not having to pay the accursed council tax and TV licence.

I no longer drive in London or Pattaya and the difference it has made to my sanity is beyond belief.

Agreed, neither do I. Time for this puppy to finish his experiment away from civilisation. Another dissatisfied customer, needing dwell and overwhelm himself with the perceived negative and blind to any such positives and niceties. Bye-Bye... :jap:

The GREAT WELL ADJUSTED EX-PAT. SO CONDESCENDING. THE MAN IS ONLY EXPRESSING HIS VIEWS. YET HE IS BELITTLED -CALLED A PUPPY AND TOLD ABRUPTLY BYE BYE. ONE DOES NOT GET A MEDAL FOR ADJUSTING TO A NEW CULTURE.

• Like 1

I think that you are correct, I have been to these neighboring countries and they are not as nice as Thailand, I even spent some time in Hong Kong. I'm pretty sure that it is Asia that I don't like and not just Thailand i particular! Sorry Thailand I did not mean to bash you only!!

I just can't adjust to life here in Asia and I have tried (almost 5 years) I have my own business, employ Thais and pay my taxes! It is just not for me anymore.

Please remind me of the good things here in Thailand!!

Just curious, pmg. Seems as you've been exposed to Asia for a reasonable amount of time to satisfy such critique. I'm guessing that you had pre-disposed notions about Asia, Asian societies, and character beforehand? Obvious....Asia isn't your cup of tea. But you insisted to hang around, when clearly you were unhappy years ago. Why couldn't you see this?

Finally a decent reply and not just a "don't let the door hit you on your way out" reply. I have only recently started to feel this way. Just wanted to know if I am alone in feeling this way, if so then it is me and how other expats feel and they manage to enjoy life here. Not really slagging off Thailand!

Just curious, pmg. Seems as you've been exposed to Asia for a reasonable amount of time to satisfy such critique. I'm guessing that you had pre-disposed notions about Asia, Asian societies, and character beforehand? Obvious....Asia isn't your cup of tea. But you insisted to hang around, when clearly you were unhappy years ago. Why couldn't you see this?

I no longer drive in London or Pattaya and the difference it has made to my sanity is beyond belief.

I've just done the same thing, got rid of the car just before my last trip to Thailand after my friendly East London council put the bailiffs on it for an unpaid parking ticket which, by the time I found out about it had gone up to £600!!! Now I look at the traffic jams and the parking wardens and smile to myself.

With regard to the OP, it seems you've given it a shot, but wherever you live, you have to come to terms with one thing that never changes, you're always there! Changing the place you live will only temporarily paper over the cracks, if you're not happy, then, chances are, you won't be happy anywhere. If you move back to sunny Scotland then I'll bet, after a while, the same feelings will re-surface.

I would advise you to think about what the causes of these feelings really are, once you have addressed them I'll have a second bet that they start to subside.

It's one of the hardest things to do in life, most of our behaviour is so well ingrained that we see it as 'normal' and everything else, ie. the influences of the 'outside world' is to blame for our unhappiness, when in actual fact, the reverse is often true.

You cannot change the world but you can change how you interact with it and react to it.

Just a thought, I hope it helps.

All the best,

Biff

• Like 1

Maybe it's Phuket. I have not had the chance to see much of other parts Thailand. My work is in the yachting industry and well, Phuket is where the yachts are and unfortunately most of rogues as well.

That's a good point as well, maybe it is Phuket. I don't have much experience of Phuket, i was only there for two weeks and whilst it is a very beautiful place i did sense that it had the potential to 'rub me up the wrong way' as it were.

maybe you should take the time to have a holiday in another part of Thailand? Is it the case that, since you arrived, you've been pretty much 'full tilt' into your work? Running a business can be very stressful, maybe you just need time to re-charge your batteries and the fact that you've been living on what is one of the most popular holiday destinations has somewhat blinded you to the fact that you're not on holiday and you, like everyone else, needs to get away once in a while?

Lot's of assumptions on my part, but something to consider maybe?

Wow !!!! Can you imagine? A parking lot that has 400 parking spaces but 600 cars trying to park. You should just shoot that bass-tard that stopped to let his wife and kids out in front of the doors. <BR><BR>As someone else already posted, it's mostly the farangs that are the worst drivers here. Also previously posted I agree there is great transportation such as BTS, MRT, Song teaws, Sam laws, buses, motorcycle taxis. <BR><BR>Trying to get into a line of cars leaving an area that noone lets you into takes skill and percision. Just do like they do and ease your way into the line and when your close enough to the guy your trying to butt in front of just smile and keep going, chances are YOUR IN. <BR><BR>I do agree that there are MANY reasons why we get pizzed off here in the LOS but we can chose the latter if we want. Google Earth has excellent directions to swampy-bum airport.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Maybe it's Phuket. I have not had the chance to see much of other parts Thailand. My work is in the yachting industry and well, Phuket is where the yachts are and unfortunately most of rogues as well.

hmm, like to do some roadtrips around LOS. Just came back from a 3800km trip including Vientienne, Laos. Thai motorists are among the most selfish in the world. Compared to the rest of LOS, traffic in Phuket is civilized. In the north east, not one vehicle/bike ever consider yielding when entering a large road, just jump out and hope to survive.

Get used to it;) or leave or remain miserable here

The OP's comments are perfectly understandable to me. Some things here can get to you at times. It's really a matter of whether you are willing to deal with them and adjust accordingly. Some people can and some people can't, simple as that.

The one sure thing is that the Thai people won't change anytime soon to adjust to you. Nor should they be expected to I suppose. You just need to decide how willing you are to put up with it, or not. Whatever your decision, good luck to you. smile.gif

Edited by iSabai
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My earlier post stands even if it may have seemed sarcastic. If you do not like it here or are uncomfortable it shows and people change their reactioms to you. It never gets better and I have seen it with people in several countries.

Personally I do not consider Phuket a part of Thailand as it has never been typical of the rest however moving to other parts would be hard if you rely on yachts.

You may like to consider moving to Lankawi which although Malasian is not typical of there either.

hmm, like to do some roadtrips around LOS. Just came back from a 3800km trip including Vientienne, Laos. Thai motorists are among the most selfish in the world. Compared to the rest of LOS, traffic in Phuket is civilized. In the north east, not one vehicle/bike ever consider yielding when entering a large road, just jump out and hope to survive.

Get used to it;) or leave or remain miserable here

Agree with this. Traffic on Phuket maybe crazy sometimes, with people driving on the wrong side of the road, motorbikes left and right, etc., but in general they will yield and have patience. Nothing compared to other parts of Thailand, especially Bangkok, and much more polite than many places in the world, including much of Europe.

Time for you to leave. Back to your home country - then realise why you left there in the first place and find out how much you miss Thailand. I see and hear people complaining about Thailand and going back home, only to return two weeks later because their rose-tinted views of their home country didn't live up to expectations.

As someone else mentioned, look at other countries for an alternative. I have visited Malaysia, Philipinnes, Hong Kong, Macou, India etc and none of them compare to Thailand.

I've been here about the same amount of time as you, don't feel the same nor am I going to jump on the "leave - good riddance" bandwagon.

Life is about choices mate.

You wake up, you've got a choice: going to be a good day, I'm in a good mood, or this day is going to suck, I'm in a bad mood. Your choice.

Someone gets you angry driving here you have a choice, ignore it and move on, or let it bother you. Your choice.

Along the same lines, will you allow someone's inconsideration to bother you enough to put you in a foul mood, or you ignore. Your choice.

Attitude is everything, as someone once mentioned to me "today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday".

Now to The Clash "Should I stay or should I go". Your choice.

I think that maybe you have hit the nail on the head! I did think that I would be happy here in Thailand. This requires some thought on my part. Thanks for the advise.

I've just done the same thing, got rid of the car just before my last trip to Thailand after my friendly East London council put the bailiffs on it for an unpaid parking ticket which, by the time I found out about it had gone up to £600!!! Now I look at the traffic jams and the parking wardens and smile to myself.

With regard to the OP, it seems you've given it a shot, but wherever you live, you have to come to terms with one thing that never changes, you're always there! Changing the place you live will only temporarily paper over the cracks, if you're not happy, then, chances are, you won't be happy anywhere. If you move back to sunny Scotland then I'll bet, after a while, the same feelings will re-surface.

I would advise you to think about what the causes of these feelings really are, once you have addressed them I'll have a second bet that they start to subside.

It's one of the hardest things to do in life, most of our behaviour is so well ingrained that we see it as 'normal' and everything else, ie. the influences of the 'outside world' is to blame for our unhappiness, when in actual fact, the reverse is often true.

You cannot change the world but you can change how you interact with it and react to it.

Just a thought, I hope it helps.

All the best,

Biff

I left Phuket after around 5 years. I am so glad I did. I found myself everyday complaining about things, and it slowly got worse and worse. I have been allot happier since leaving. Don't get me wrong I miss a few things like the food, the massages, and the weather. Don't miss the fake smiles, bad driving, the "farang" always wrong attitude, the trying to cut in front of you in line, the dual pricing, poor customer service everywhere... The list of bads goes on and on in my opinion.

The list of goods might make me come back for a vacation in a few years, but will more than likely never return. Plenty of other countries to visit.

I've been here about the same amount of time as you, don't feel the same nor am I going to jump on the "leave - good riddance" bandwagon.

Life is about choices mate.

You wake up, you've got a choice: going to be a good day, I'm in a good mood, or this day is going to suck, I'm in a bad mood. Your choice.

Someone gets you angry driving here you have a choice, ignore it and move on, or let it bother you. Your choice.

Along the same lines, will you allow someone's inconsideration to bother you enough to put you in a foul mood, or you ignore. Your choice.

Attitude is everything, as someone once mentioned to me "today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday".

Now to The Clash "Should I stay or should I go". Your choice.

So, when a Thai crashes into you on the road, and your vehicle will not work until it's been fixed, and the Thai rings the police and because "accident not happen if farang not in Thailand" you have to pay for the damage to his car, and your own car, at very inflated prices, and also for the police to attend, you "choose not to let this bother you?"

GET REAL.

You take Phuket / Thailand for it's good, and it's bad. Yes, sorry to burst your bubble, Phuket / Thailand is like anywhere else on the planet, it has some good, and some bad.

There is nothing wrong with stating the "good" we like, and the "bad" we don't like. If the bad outweighs the good, and individual should consider moving on. If the good outweighs the bad, an obvious decision might be to stay and continue to enjoy living here.

To constantly tell yourself "it's ok, I won't let it bother me" is practicing what psychologists say is, "denial." It's perfectly ok to say you are not happy about something, but accept that you do not have the abilty to change it, and move on with your life. To say EVERYTHING does not bother you is unrealistic.