Iphone4

PST

Apple doesn't sell the iPhone 4 in Thailand yet (even if you can buy one at some places).

If the iPhone is unlocked (test before buying) you can use any SIM, but if you have no data plan of any sort from your operator, the iPhone will be just like a dumb phone. No Internet at all, only on Wifi spots (if you can get some for free).

Looks like it will be cheaper in Thailand than it is in the UK. I kind of regret buying it there now, I didn't know in my excitement that UK doesn't add VAT to advertised prices so I paid quite a bit more than I thought I would.

From the other thread:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/08/chart-unlocked-iphone-4-globe/

Anyway, this thread should get merged with the other iPhone4 thread, which is also all about prices, sims, and the phone in general. Mods?

If you don't want to make a lot of trouble for yourself buy the Iphone in Thailand from an authorized dealer who will register it for you. For 3g True is the only one offering this service and it is very limited. I continue to use AIS in my 2g iphone. I notice that DTAC is now a dealer for Iphone. Pantip has an outhorized dealer and so does Central Festival Mall in Phuket. Using jail break will cause you a lot of problems.

Looks like it will be cheaper in Thailand than it is in the UK. I kind of regret buying it there now, I didn't know in my excitement that UK doesn't add VAT to advertised prices so I paid quite a bit more than I thought I would.

From the other thread:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/08/chart-unlocked-iphone-4-globe/

Anyway, this thread should get merged with the other iPhone4 thread, which is also all about prices, sims, and the phone in general. Mods?

Bugger I thought it was a Good Price ... :blink:

OhNoItsNOT.jpg

TL :jap:

Apple doesn't sell the iPhone 4 in Thailand yet (even if you can buy one at some places).

If the iPhone is unlocked (test before buying) you can use any SIM, but if you have no data plan of any sort from your operator, the iPhone will be just like a dumb phone. No Internet at all, only on Wifi spots (if you can get some for free).

Not sure what you mean. I brought my factory unlocked iphone from true without any plan at all. I use ais sim card and service since I didnt want to change my number. I have full internet using the E when I am not near my wifi. I do stock trades, get email, gold quotes, general info. I can even use the thai-languge.com site to check words while i am out

• 2 weeks later...

over the weekend, I bought an iPhone 4 32GigB (factory unlocked--origin UK or Australia) for B32,000 (the 16GigB were only slightly cheaper) at MBK....(I think I bought the last one at that particular mini-counter, but there are dozens and dozens of mini mom and pop counters at MBK)..the iPhone 4 is GREAT! (I also have an Android Samsung Galaxy S which is great too, but app/song/movie content poor)....

just wondering, what would be the better option/deal for PRE paid local Thai sim cards (can cut them down to micro-size easily because I know someone with a customized stapler shaped cutter) for data/internet on the iPhone 4??:

( a ) True sim card?;

( d ) DTAC sim card?

( c ) AIS sim card?;

( d ) iMobile 3GX sim card? (Samart company); or

( e ) others??

also, can I tether my iPhone 4 to my laptop to surf the internet on the laptop?

micro-sim, sounds like trouble

I think the i-Pad uses that too

No trouble at all.

Walk to shop (tested at True and DTAC).

Get micro SIM.

Done.

They transfer your existing phone # to the micro SIM. They are well prepared for this. Takes 2 minutes.

I am sure AIS has a similar service. At true they call it SIM swap. I guess they already had this service for lost SIM cards. I was surprised though how quickly they do this. No need for cutters.

over the weekend, I bought an iPhone 4 32GigB (factory unlocked--origin UK or Australia) for B32,000 (the 16GigB were only slightly cheaper) at MBK....(I think I bought the last one at that particular mini-counter, but there are dozens and dozens of mini mom and pop counters at MBK)..the iPhone 4 is GREAT! (I also have an Android Samsung Galaxy S which is great too, but app/song/movie content poor)....

just wondering, what would be the better option/deal for PRE paid local Thai sim cards (can cut them down to micro-size easily because I know someone with a customized stapler shaped cutter) for data/internet on the iPhone 4??:

( a ) True sim card?;

( d ) DTAC sim card?

( c ) AIS sim card?;

( d ) iMobile 3GX sim card? (Samart company); or

( e ) others??

also, can I tether my iPhone 4 to my laptop to surf the internet on the laptop?

to answer my own question (for the benefit of anyone going through this also).....at least for a temporary solution (until I check out any cheaper/better alternatives),

( a ) I purchased a True PRE paid sim card for B99,

( b ) cut it down to micro-size and inserted it into my new iPhone 4 (note: I could have swapped the regular sim card for a micro sized sim card for a fee of B49, but was too lazy to walk to a True store---cutting the sim down to micro size took 2 minutes);

( c ) signed up for the True monthly plan for B699 per month (for unlimited WiFI with login name and password + 1 GB of 3G / Edge / GPRS) (note: to sign up for this plan, I just SMS'ed "V3" to the phone number "9789" ---super easy) (note: to maintain this plan, I have to buy B699 worth of top cards every month)

works great! internet tethering to my laptop works too!!

Edited by Raptor7