High Resolution Monitors In Bangkok...

TheyCallmeScooter

I bought the Dell ultrasharp 27"(u2711) with 5 years warranty.

I'm running a resolution of 2560x1440. I think I paid 24-26k for it here in Thailand.

I want THIS!! ^^^^^ And at that price!! wink.gif

But I'll settle for a 24" 1920x1200 - just having some trouble finding one. Spent hours in Pantip with no luck...Samsung don't stock any.

I've found these at www.HP.co.th:

hp24inch1920x1200s.jpg

...but will probably get the Dell U2711 from www.login.co.th:

dellu2711.jpg

...don't know what to make of login.co.th - I called up about the price and was told to email a request? Which I did...no response...don't know how to proceed there...

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for high resolution monitors in Bkk? I recently bought a Samsung SyncMaster 2343 but it was killing my eyes, I was getting migraines, face burning up etc - moved onto my Dell Latitude 1920x1200 laptop and all the eye problems disappeared so I think it's a resolution issue...

Actually, if anyone has any advice regarding the eye issues I was having ....I'd be very grateful...been thinking about getting some anti-glare glasses or something but I'm not convinced it's not simply a resolution issue...blink.gif

Can you be very specific what you'll be using these monitors for, what programs you run, and exactly what your problem was with previous monitors?

I run a photography business and monitors are a big part of what I do. There are many small details that make big differences, but depending on your uses they may not mean much to you. But if they do, then they become very important.

The cheap Dell S-IPS panels like the U2711 aren't bad.. but the color/resolution/clarity across the panels are inconsistent and this can cause issues if you're eyes are sensitive. If you're profiling your panels for color/luminance then you can help improve any monitor, but there's a lot to this subject and it depends on your uses.

I can say this with certainty having run high-end (and tried to get away with cheaper models) for decades, and with setting up clients systems, is that with monitors you usually get what you pay for with few exceptions. And the video card becomes part of the equation when you start talking eye strain so things like refresh rate and more can degrade the apparent image quality of even a good monitor.

Anyway.. if you care to be very specific and provide as much information as possible I'll make my best recommendation and explain my choices.

• Like 1

Firstly, thank you thank you! I mean, I've spoken to my ophthalmologist and whilst he's quite competent, I got the distinct impression he didn't know a great deal about CRT v LCD and hertz and refresh rates and all that [and neither do I for that matter - obv].

I'm a writer [of debatable / questionable ability] but all the same, I spent probably up to 15 hrs a day staring straight into the screen. I have some issues with focus where I have *too* much focus [if that even makes sense], and this is a problem because no matter what I try, I can't seem to do all the eye exercises recommended, the hourly breaks, hel_l I forget to put in eye-drops for 6-8 hrs at times. And I've never needed to do any of this, despite pretty much doing what I do for many years now. But - and this might be retarded - the only *variable* changed that I'm able to isolate was this new Samsung monitor with [relatively] low resolution. I've always had super high res screens on my laptops and widescreens at home. And literally a day or two after I thought to myself it could be this new Samsung low res monitor - and swapped over to my old laptop [15.4" UltraSharp WUXGA (1920x1200) Display with Wide Viewing Angle] that a month or two of excruciating and worsening eye soreness / burning almost disappeared.

So I'm thinking - and please tell me if this is illogical - that if I get a Dell UltraSharp 27" with 2560x1440 resolution, I'll be laughing? For what it's worth my last two monitors [which I never had eye problems with] were a Samsung T216 1900x1200 22" and a ViewSonic 24" 1900x1200 I think.

It's got to be this SyncMaster 2343 with low res right?

If you're wondering why I don't just stick with the laptop, it's because the screen is too small and I find myself bending forward in very unergonomic positioning for long periods of time - and I *know* that will end up badly sooner or later.

In terms of what my uses are: I really just need crystal clear definition I think - I don't watch TV or DVDs with it, mostly just endless writing and reading small text. For 15 hrs a day. On programs like mostly Chrome with Google Docs and Office I guess - lots of forums, um yea that's pretty much my 'requirements' for it....

Eye strain is my main concern - so things like refresh rate and video cards I need to learn about. I think I have all the latest specs in terms of video drivers and whatnot, but refresh rate is 60 hertz max on the Samsung - does that even make sense? lolz - I remember reading online that it should be 80 or higher?

Thanks again - you're an eye-saver! smile.gif

Thanks again - you're an eye-saver! smile.gif

Scooter -

We should start out with the caveat that 'your' answer could be one or several different things, and that on-line like this we're doing a lot of guessing and supposing. With that said I've carefully read what you've written and given it some thought and I find several areas of what you've given me supporting information pointing towards the same areas. First, let me start out with some general information to set the background:

I also spend a fair amount of time in front of a computer screen, perhaps not as many as you, but with imaging we're looking at very fine details, differences in shades of colors, and subtle nuances that in the end can really strain the eye. I'd guess 4 hours spent doing serious imaging work equals 8 hours of general writing..

The most important thing for imaging professionals for both accuracy of their work and eye comfort is to set up a viewing area that places the user at an optimum distance from the screen so they can see the entire screen without eye strain, and without turning the neck. By eye movement only you should be able to easily view your entire display area. This remains the same for a dual monitor setup. The viewing area (work area) should ideally always be the same brightness, and ideally in a slightly dim room with no bright (read sunlight or bright interior lights) competing with your eyes against the display panel. So, a set and repeatable distance from the screen where eye movement only covers the entire display, a slightly dim room, and the monitor being the brightest light source in the room...

The current trend for monitors is the "glossy" high contrast look, similar to HDTV, because computer users overwhelmingly are playing games and viewing different types of media more than they're doing imaging or writing.. so most monitors have the "HDTV Look", and by that I mean a glossy highly reflective screen with a very bright very high contrast unit. People tend to think that because they're bigger and brighter and higher contrast.. then the "dim room" requirement is no longer necessary because now they can see the screen in brighter light.. even outdoors.. and they can. But think of how powerful the light levels are as they hit your eyes.. a tremendous amount of light. This is okay for younger healthy eyes, and shorter periods of time, but as you grow older and your eyes become less 'new', these bright conditions can severely reduce the amount of time you can spent in front of the display without discomfort.

Now think about your Samsung 2324 giving you issues.. but not your laptop. Your Samsung is the newer brighter high contrast glossy type of monitor and it allowed you to use it in a brighter room.. which you might have initially thought was great. Laptops put out much less light, even if they do have the glossy look, and pretty much force you to use them in a dimmer room.. thereby extending the amount of time you can use your monitor without eye strain. You might be cussing it for forcing you to work indoors or in a dim room.. but it's really working for you in the long run. As an example, a desktop glossy high contrast monitor is often recommended to be set at a luminance value of 190cdm's.. a laptop at 90. When I say recommended, I'm taking about a combination hardware/software profiling package that optimizes your display for both color and luminance. Quite the difference eh?

Then there is the fact that cheaper display panels really are "less sharp" than better ones, requiring you further crank up the luminance to clearly see the display. You can actually crank up the luminance so far that it blurs the characters/pixels.

Another fact is that if you have a 25.5 inch (using my own displays for an example) 1920x1200 screen.. and compare it to a 17 inch 1920x1200 screen.. it's obvious the actual pixels on the larger display are physically much larger than the smaller display. This means the larger display needs to be of a very high quality to sharply render each pixel.. an analogy would be a 42" HDTV looking sharper than a 60" HDTV.. for the 60" HDTV to 'appear' as sharp, it needs to be of a much higher quality.

There are different panels which are better suited for different tasks. A TN panel is the cheaper type and they're fine for office work and even game playing. An S-IPS panel usually has a 178degree viewing angle which makes them ideal for viewing at more severe angles.. which makes several people viewing the screen comfortably possible.. but S-IPS panels are usually slower to render so some motion blurring in fast moving sports and gaming becomes an issue.. perfect for imaging, imperfect for anything moving fast. This is why HDTV LCD and Plasma panels are touting 400mhz features to help with that motion blurring. The differences in panels is quite an in-depth subject, but if you're sitting in front of the monitor and you're just writing.. then really any type of panel is okay for your uses.. so lets leave it at that for now.

Because you're not doing imaging where shades of colors are important you really have no need for an expensive imaging monitor, or calibration devices. However, your requirements are just as specific and you will need to properly adjust your monitor. I attached a test file to help you with this.

I would look for the best quality 23-27" monitor you can afford which has a matte surface. The monitor should have and OSD (on screen menu display) allowing you to adjust brightness, contrast, and colors (red green and blue). A "sharpness" control is what you'll find on a HDTV, not a quality computer monitor.. so if you see a sharpness control be wary of its quality.. they're just not common on quality computer monitors. You'll want to set up the monitor in a somewhat dim room perpendicular to your line of sight (eyes).

Once set up, bring up the attached image in any picture/image viewing program and make it full screen. Notice the two gray bar areas labeled 0-100? One is below the red divot in the upper right corner, and the other is larger and along the bottom left. A quality monitor properly set up should show clearly defined different shades of gray/white squares in each block. If the last blocks on either end run together, then your monitor for sure needs adjustment. Simply adjust your contrast and brightness for the most clearly defined blocks. Jockey the contrast and brightness back and forth for the best defined blocks. Now.. adjust your RGB (red green blue) controls for the most pleasing skin tones and most realistic looking veggies and fruit.. and then you might need to set the brightness/contrast again. You want to use the minimum amount of contrast and brightness to clearly see the different blocks and to see the colors rendered properly.

As an example, your Samsung is rated at 1000:1 contrast. Most consumers think "Wow, that's great, the more contrast the better.." Well, in a bright room and for playing games sure.. but not for a workstation used many hours a day. My own workstation which is professionally calibrated is capable of much more than 1000:1 (my HDTV touts 100,000:1), but when properly calibrated it's only set at approximately 300:1. When set to match my printer it profiles out at 101:1, for imaging 247:1, and for the very bright internet websites 486:1.. (see attached information panels for each type of setting)..

An imaging professional needs 4-5 different settings depending on what they do.. for a writer and what you do, I'd recommend a 6500k (kelvin) whitepoint, a gamma of 2.2, and a luminance value of 110-140 depending on the light level in your viewing room. You'll notice that when setting those gray/white blocks of 0-100... that once set to see them, if you crank up the light level in your viewing room the readings will change.. so a consistent level of light in your viewing room is very important.. especially considering the hours of the day you use your computer, and your eye issues.

It might even be worth it to invest in an inexpensive hardware/software profiling device.. or a good used one. I can make some recommendations if you like. Though, if you use the provided chart and my instructions you should be fine.

By now you can start to put the pieces together why the laptop was better for your eyes.. it was forcing you into a certain type of viewing environment. And why the inexpensive Samsung was an issue.. it was allowing you to work outside that environment. Making sense now?

The more pixels on the screen aren't necessarily better.. there's nothing wrong with 1920x1200.. I just recently bought a pair of the best monitors for my eyes and use.. and they're 1920x1200's.. NEC LCD2690uxi2's which took over three months to arrive through NEC Thailand at a cost of over 50,000 each. While they're certainly overkill for you, I'm also certain they'd serve you very well. The question is.. can you get away for your needs for less money. I think you can.

The inexpensive Dell U2411 (24 inch 1920x1200 S-IPS) might be a good choice.. it's a matte screen, and generally profiles well. The U2711 (27 inch 2560x1440 S-IPS) is okay if you need that much screen.. and initially you'll find the text on your menus, browser, etc, to be very small.. but you can adjust this with your Windows or OSx DPI (dots per inch) setting.. you can customize it to your needs. Remember what I said about the monitor needing to be a very precise distance from your eyes so you can see the entire screen without turning your head? Once set at that distance, then increase your DPI until you can comfortably read the text.. and don't forgot, Cntl+ increases your browsers zoom, Cntrl- decreases it..

We've covered a lot.. way more than the average guy needs to know.. but your issues dictate you know more than the average guy. There is 10-20x more to know if you're a photographer.. even more if you're a photographer who prints an scans.. it's a complex area of study. I make a fair bit of living visiting professional photographers homes and properly calibrating and profiling their systems.. so you can imagine if pros are paying for these services they can be a bit difficult to understand and accomplish..

I hope I've been of some help..

post-37855-024965000 1280933872_thumb.jp

post-37855-048278500 1280934609_thumb.jp

post-37855-005480600 1280934620_thumb.jp

post-37855-091435200 1280934632_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I hope I've been of some help..

I burst out laughing at this. Mate, I don't know how to thank you for that response [apologies for not responding sooner, I was actually doing a little visa run down to Changi for the night]. But that response should give me everything I need to know to move forward - I don't know how to thank you....

Lighting was a huge issue, of course! I just realised how much of an issue it was.... and still is due to the setup of the physical lights / windows in my room - although I wonder if lamps placed strategically couldn't do the job? But you're totally right on the lighting issue especially - ironically my room's lighting is just so bad, the laptop accidentally happens to 'suit' it, whereas the monitor was just shooting hot searing jabs of pain into my face. Also of course I'm retarded and didn't adjust all the settings cause I didn't understand them although I did finally turn down the luminance from 100% to like 3% which helped for a few hours but then things just got worse...

Now I have to decide between 27" and 24", because I don't really think I *need* a 27" screen - all I really *need* is [whatever is it that my laptop is giving me right now lolz], but I guess magnified so I'm not leaning forward into the screen so often. But I take your [obvious] point about spreading out 15" 1900x1200 into a 24" 1900x1200 - and this scares me! I hadn't been thinking along those lines...because to 'match' my laptop I'd really need something like 3500x2200 or something for the 27" right? sigh....

I would actually love my old Samsung 216T - 21" 1900x1200 sigh. Samsung were pretty helpful, but only in the sense that they were like "NO {****]x1200 monitors at ALL" - lolz. I guess my choice is between the two Dells? And if that's the case, wouldn't the 27" 2560x1440 be better than the 24" 1900x1200 on pixel sharpness - I actually like to sit back away from the screen so I think just sitting back a little bit more for the 27" works out the same? Price isn't a major concern, I mean, the pain I went through because I'm a special kind of "she'll be right mate" idiot, I let it get so bad before things even 'clicked', that initially I thought I'd detached both my retinas or some other Google-hypochondriac'ed idiocy lolz. I'd pay 50k just for the *memories* of the pain of last month to be erased unsure.gif

Also, I've got two quotes for Bangkok delivery for the Dell 27" - login.co.th 28k and this Tontkub Dell reseller guy who seems like he's got excellent record from what I can make out Googling him. He's quoted 26k so probably will just go for the login.co.th anyway. And now I'm rambling I realise, but I guess my question boils down to: Do you reckon if I just go ahead with the 27" Dell and get my room lighting sorted out with lamps and calibrate all the monitor settings as per your instructions, that should probably do the trick, no?

I kinda idly wish they made my exact 15" Dell laptop screen...just...twice the size, but identical on everything else sigh....it just seems so perfect except for the fact I'm literally walking into ergonomic hel_l every day I continue to use it fml....

I would only go for a 27" if you need the physical size, not for more pixels. If 24" is big enough for you, then a proper quality monitor will have sharp enough pixels at 1920x1200 to work for you. Like I said, I'm using 26 inch monitors at 1920x1200 professionally and I assure you they're sharp enough. Don't fall into the "more is better" trap unless you really need the screen real estate.

The important parts:

1. Viewing station lighting

2. A good quality monitor

3. Proper monitor adjustment

And don't be surprised if you have to limit your time on the screen anyway.. it happens to the best of it. Instead, try to substitute screen time with technologies like speech recognition for dictating vs. typing.. and reduce the time your eyes are put under stress.

Personally I would only recommend getting a monitor from a reputable local company who will service the monitor should it go bad.. and they do. I've reviewed the Dells and they're not bad.. but if money isn't that much of an issue I'd recommend the NEC Spectraview series.. like the new PA241w.. I would post NEC Thailand's name and my contact there.. but my URL in my signature already offended someone enough to report it for removal.. (I didn't know URL's in your signature block weren't allowed.. in most forums that's what a signature block is for.. ) So if you'd like to go that route PM me and I'll put you in contact with the district manager who ordered mine for me. I can tell you with certainty they're head and shoulders above the Dells and don't get me wrong.. I live Dell.. it's just that for monitors they're second or third rate and your eyes require better. You need a monitor that was made to operate at the lower luminance levels and still maintain sharp pixels.

Btw.. NEC, once I placed my order (and paid for it) brought me out a couple loaner monitors to use until my new ones arrived. Not bad service! Then because of a mistake the 30 days turned into 90.. so not great service.. :)

• Like 1

I'd recommend the NEC Spectraview series.. like the new PA241w.

I can tell you with certainty they're head and shoulders above the Dells and don't get me wrong.. I live Dell.. it's just that for monitors they're second or third rate and your eyes require better. You need a monitor that was made to operate at the lower luminance levels and still maintain sharp pixels

I'm pretty much keen to take your advice across the board - I was really only leaning towards the Dell 27" cause it seems to have a hel_l of a lot of raving reviews online, and also cause I thought it would be 'sharper' per sq inch than the 24".

A smaller NEC that's gentler on the eyes sounds >>> tops. What kind of price range we looking at for the PA241w? [in Bkk I mean...I can see it's a pricey little unit online, so it must be good wink.gif - can't seem to find it on Nec.co.th but...

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

I'd recommend the NEC Spectraview series.. like the new PA241w.

I can tell you with certainty they're head and shoulders above the Dells and don't get me wrong.. I live Dell.. it's just that for monitors they're second or third rate and your eyes require better. You need a monitor that was made to operate at the lower luminance levels and still maintain sharp pixels

I'm pretty much keen to take your advice across the board - I was really only leaning towards the Dell 27" cause it seems to have a hel_l of a lot of raving reviews online, and also cause I thought it would be 'sharper' per sq inch than the 24".

A smaller NEC that's gentler on the eyes sounds >>> tops. What kind of price range we looking at for the PA241w? [in Bkk I mean...I can see it's a pricey little unit online, so it must be good wink.gif - can't seem to find it on Nec.co.th but...

During my "order waiting period" I had both a 26 and 24 inch 1920x1200 NEC mounted on a dual display stand side by side.. you cannot tell if one is "sharper" than the other. Really, sharpness is not going to be an issue with a quality monitor.

About NEC Thailand:

1. They don't stock the better monitors. They will order them for you if you ask nicely and you're looking at a 30-45 day wait. The wait may put some off, but I think when you consider you'll get 6-7 years of "in-spec" use from it... then the 30-45 days becomes relatively insignifcant.

2. Prices seem to be about the same as NEC Retail in the states. But where stateside prices are usually heavily discounted, here in Thailand you pay retail on special orders.

3. The PA241w is a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. The PA271w is a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Both are relatively new (and more expensive by about 10%) on the market and Thailand is just now being able to order the PA241w and maybe the PA271w..

4. They will be a "SV-II" option. I'd recommend it. The reason is, while color accuracy isn't that important to you, the software (Spectraview II) and the wide-gamut colorimter also measures and sets luminance and allows you to set custom values which I think will benefit you. The SV-II option normally add's a retail $200 USD to the deal, bought separately about $350. I'd buy it together by ordering the PA241w-SV-II package.

5. In your case the hood option might be a great idea to help keep out stray light from windows and other light sources which might force you to crank up the brightness (thereby reducing your viewing hours because of increased eye-strain). I think.. My hoods were $129 USD retail..

It's possible NEC Thailand might only be able to order the older LCD2490uxi2-SV-II (24 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package) or LCD2690uxi2-SV-II (26 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package) because they are a bit behind America and the EU when it comes to new products.. if they do they'll be cheaper.. and for your needs every bit as good.

All monitors at this level come with a 4 year warranty..

About the Dell's.. I think you'll find the U2410 and U2711 approximately the same quality. They're also designed to run at a native whitepoint of approximately 6500k at 180-200cd of luminance.. at these values the colors will be very accurate and relatively uniform and not that bad. But for your needs you'll want to run at about 5500k and a 90-110cs of luminance.. and the Dell's aren't designed to be optimum at these values.. it's pushing the edge of what they can handle. The NEC's have totally different supporting circuitry and are designed to be ran from 5000-9000k and 70-200cd and still keep the colors and such within spec.. The SVII software and hardware colorimeter (looks like a mouse that goes on your screen, connects via a USB port, and allows the software to measure the screen values during the calibration process) will allow you to set any levels you want in addition to the factory presets.

In short, the SVII equipment will enable you to set and find a custom value perfect for your needs. You can replicate your Dell laptop if you want (wouldn't recommend it), but chances are you'll quickly come up with something better.

On the other end of the price spectrum the Eizo's run about twice as much and I think are available immediately from Computers and More at Pantip.. They claim to be twice as good.. I personally think the NEC's blows them away.. but you'll find a lot of varying opinions with imaging professionals.. :)

I do think most agree the NEC monitors are top quality and a great value for what you get.. the only difference of opinion is if they're they "best" or not..

• Like 1

During my "order waiting period" I had both a 26 and 24 inch 1920x1200 NEC mounted on a dual display stand side by side.. you cannot tell if one is "sharper" than the other. Really, sharpness is not going to be an issue with a quality monitor.

About NEC Thailand:

1. They don't stock the better monitors. They will order them for you if you ask nicely and you're looking at a 30-45 day wait. The wait may put some off, but I think when you consider you'll get 6-7 years of "in-spec" use from it... then the 30-45 days becomes relatively insignifcant.

2. Prices seem to be about the same as NEC Retail in the states. But where stateside prices are usually heavily discounted, here in Thailand you pay retail on special orders.

3. The PA241w is a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. The PA271w is a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. Both are relatively new (and more expensive by about 10%) on the market and Thailand is just now being able to order the PA241w and maybe the PA271w..

4. They will be a "SV-II" option. I'd recommend it. The reason is, while color accuracy isn't that important to you, the software (Spectraview II) and the wide-gamut colorimter also measures and sets luminance and allows you to set custom values which I think will benefit you. The SV-II option normally add's a retail $200 USD to the deal, bought separately about $350. I'd buy it together by ordering the PA241w-SV-II package.

5. In your case the hood option might be a great idea to help keep out stray light from windows and other light sources which might force you to crank up the brightness (thereby reducing your viewing hours because of increased eye-strain). I think.. My hoods were $129 USD retail..

It's possible NEC Thailand might only be able to order the older LCD2490uxi2-SV-II (24 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package) or LCD2690uxi2-SV-II (26 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package) because they are a bit behind America and the EU when it comes to new products.. if they do they'll be cheaper.. and for your needs every bit as good.

All monitors at this level come with a 4 year warranty..

About the Dell's.. I think you'll find the U2410 and U2711 approximately the same quality. They're also designed to run at a native whitepoint of approximately 6500k at 180-200cd of luminance.. at these values the colors will be very accurate and relatively uniform and not that bad. But for your needs you'll want to run at about 5500k and a 90-110cs of luminance.. and the Dell's aren't designed to be optimum at these values.. it's pushing the edge of what they can handle. The NEC's have totally different supporting circuitry and are designed to be ran from 5000-9000k and 70-200cd and still keep the colors and such within spec.. The SVII software and hardware colorimeter (looks like a mouse that goes on your screen, connects via a USB port, and allows the software to measure the screen values during the calibration process) will allow you to set any levels you want in addition to the factory presets.

In short, the SVII equipment will enable you to set and find a custom value perfect for your needs. You can replicate your Dell laptop if you want (wouldn't recommend it), but chances are you'll quickly come up with something better.

On the other end of the price spectrum the Eizo's run about twice as much and I think are available immediately from Computers and More at Pantip.. They claim to be twice as good.. I personally think the NEC's blows them away.. but you'll find a lot of varying opinions with imaging professionals.. :)

I do think most agree the NEC monitors are top quality and a great value for what you get.. the only difference of opinion is if they're they "best" or not..

Brilliant. When I idly posted, I was hoping someone might say "oh I liked the Dell 27", you should get that imo" etc - this is just brilliant - can't thank you enough!

So I'm thinking the PA241w-SV-II package w/ hood if possible, failing that I'm sure the older LCD2490uxi2-SV-II (24 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package w/ hood) will do just fine.

I love it that I don't have to analyse specs I don't really understand etc - I'm hella lazy and for an expert to just go "get this that, no don't worry about that, yep that etc"....brilliant! Ready to pull the trigger on this, been reading up on some NEC reviews and the experts I can't understand seem to concur with you on the NECs - so that's a top sign :)

May I please grab the NEC manager's contact from you Sir? Although I hope that 3 month issue doesn't pop up again, not sure how much more leaning and squinting I can do before something gives out to RSI or w/e...I was definitely made in Taiwan....

So I'm thinking the PA241w-SV-II package w/ hood if possible, failing that I'm sure the older LCD2490uxi2-SV-II (24 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package w/ hood) will do just fine.

I love it that I don't have to analyse specs I don't really understand etc - I'm hella lazy and for an expert to just go "get this that, no don't worry about that, yep that etc"....brilliant! Ready to pull the trigger on this, been reading up on some NEC reviews and the experts I can't understand seem to concur with you on the NECs - so that's a top sign :)

May I please grab the NEC manager's contact from you Sir? Although I hope that 3 month issue doesn't pop up again, not sure how much more leaning and squinting I can do before something gives out to RSI or w/e...I was definitely made in Taiwan....

Yes.. I'd agree with that. Keep in mind that I do this full time every day and my new NEC2690uxi2's are just a few months old.. I didn't see enough difference (though there are differences) that would matter for my uses (professional imaging) to wait for the new PA271w's.. which might very well be out by now. In some respects you might argue it's better to get a true and trusted product which both the LCD2490uxi2 and LCD2690uxi2 (or even the 30 inch LCD3090uxi2) are, than take a chance with a new product which might or might not experience bugs, firmware revisions, etc.. As you've found these models have an exceptional reputation and for what you get are a real value.. though I had trouble convincing my wife as well.. :)

Mr. Prinya Prarantana (General Manager, NEC Thailand.. so don't be surprised if he passes you to a regular sales rep)

Mr P and I had to be introduced when my order didn't show up on time.. otherwise a regular sales rep would have been great for me as well.

What they'll do is work up a quote for you, email it to you in PDF form, you're sign it (with a digital pen, or print it out and sign/fax it), and then submit a deposit via bank transfer or go in to pay in cash. I prefer the less work bank transfer method.. they deliver and set up.. no need to do the driving through traffic and then parking in a carpark only to find he's in a meeting thing.. :)

Ask him.. if you pay in full vs. a deposit.. if he'll send you out a LCD2490uxi2 loaner.. I know they've got them for this purpose because I've used them.. :)

Good luck.

Edited by sbk
email removed
  • Like 1

In some respects you might argue it's better to get a true and trusted product

Yep I am a subscriber to that kind of logic. I reckon I'd rather the proven performer than the new model which might be fractionally better but also unknown variables in play...will definitely be going for the LCD2490uxi2-SV-II (24 inch 1920x1200 with SVII package & hood)

Mr. Prinya Prarantana (General Manager, NEC Thailand.. so don't be surprised if he passes you to a regular sales rep)

Ah yep no problem, thanks for the number!

What they'll do is work up a quote for you, email it to you in PDF form, print it out and sign/fax it, and then submit a deposit via bank transfer

Too easy....

Ask him.. if you pay in full vs. a deposit.. if he'll send you out a LCD2490uxi2 loaner.. I know they've got them for this purpose because I've used them.. :)

Good luck.

Excellent - thank you thank you! will let you know how I go, been lucky so far :)

Edited by sbk
email removed

will let you know how I go, been lucky so far :)

yeah I knew I tempting fate sigh. No response from NEC as yet. I suppose I could call them. Might require some effort and pre-planning and stuff.

Damned tosser.. he feels he's so important that getting him to answer and email can be tough.. Which is why I will give you his mobile number.. :lol: Buzz it a few times, maybe a text referencing your email, and I'll bet he gets right back to you. They hate the phone ringing out on the golf course or at their 'entertainment center' of choice.. :D

Or you might consider just walking in.. though I never needed to. Something about mentioning my readership seemed to prompt the guy to get his ass in gear.. geez I hate being like that.. but this is the only source for these monitors and some sod like this just pisses me off.

post-37855-005840300 1281934213_thumb.jp

Edited by sbk
pm fro phone number
  • Like 1

Damned tosser.. he feels he's so important that getting him to answer and email can be tough.. Which is why I will give you his mobile number.. :lol: Buzz it a few times, maybe a text referencing your email, and I'll bet he gets right back to you. They hate the phone ringing out on the golf course or at their 'entertainment center' of choice.. :D

Or you might consider just walking in.. though I never needed to.

Legend. Thanks! I don't *mind* walking in if I have to, but I'm hella lazy and this is the 21st century - I think. Sometimes I'm not so sure... rolleyes.gif

I got through to his number almost instantly and he promised to respond after I resent the email which he must have missed in his inbox....fingers crossed. I hella don't want to get down to Soi 21. It would require shaving and showering and other unacceptable societal norms.

Edited by sbk

Or you might consider just walking in.. though I never needed to.

Legend. Thanks! I don't *mind* walking in if I have to, but I'm hella lazy and this is the 21st century - I think. Sometimes I'm not so sure... rolleyes.gif

I got through to his number almost instantly and he promised to respond after I resent the email which he must have missed in his inbox....fingers crossed. I hella don't want to get down to Soi 21. It would require shaving and showering and other unacceptable societal norms.

Yes.. his private mobile number ringing at 0200-0300 should have caught his attention.

I'll never understand the unacceptable levels of customer service here in Thailand. I'm sure he'd much rather sell 100 5000 baht monitors than one 40,000 baht monitor.. but hel_l.. these are their flagship models and we're their flagship customers.

I do think you're on to something though.. the guy would probably consider his office tainted if a farang walked in.. wouldn't want that happening.. just imagine how that would spoil the image of the place.. ;o)

Edited by sbk

I do think you're on to something though.. the guy would probably consider his office tainted if a farang walked in.. wouldn't want that happening.. just imagine how that would spoil the image of the place.. ;o)

Perhaps your rank and file farang yes, but I am a pretty farang. At least, this is what my g/f, to whom I give a 50k allowance/month, assures me wholeheartedly. whistling.gif

Just joking about the 50k. And the g/f.

And the pretty. fml

One final question please bkksw - apparently the SV pack isn't available. I don't think that's a deal-breaker right? Just wanted to check before signing off on the below...looks pretty good I reckon, bit pricey, but if saves my eyes even 1 day of eyestrain, it'll be worth it....

We would like to confirmed the price of NEC LCD2490WUXi2 –BK (Black Color) with hood, please see below this mail and SV-II can not supply in Thailand market. In the attached file is the brochure of this model.

Price LCD2490WUXi2-BK è 40,900 Baht (Excluded VAT7%)

Price Hood for LCD24" è 3,500 Baht (Excluded VAT7%)

Warranty 3 year carry in NEC Service

Delivery : 45 days after confirmed order.

nec2490wuxi.jpg

One final question please bkksw - apparently the SV pack isn't available. I don't think that's a deal-breaker right? Just wanted to check before signing off on the below...looks pretty good I reckon, bit pricey, but if saves my eyes even 1 day of eyestrain, it'll be worth it....

Yes.. that's the monitor. The SVII software you can buy via the USA NEC website for $89.00 (USD) and there's no warranty with software to be concerned with.. and the SVII Colorimeter you can get via Amazon.com I think for about $159.. they have different sellers so the price varies. Colorimeters rarely have issues or break so I wouldn't worry about the warranty on that either.

There is one supplier on Amazon who ships internationally... I think Amazon LC if I remember correctly. If not, then try this service. www.shipito.com I've been testing them for several months now with 100% positive results and I'll probably recommend them in my column next week.. or maybe the week after. It's a nice service to be set up with regardless.. in fact you could ship an entire monitor this way.. and they're about $900 on Amazon.. but by the time you pay shipping, import duties/vat.. you won't save much and you won't have a warranty.. so it's a last chance deal for items that might actually break or go bad imo.. The nice thing about www.shipito.com is they let you fill out the value and customs forms on-line.. not that people cheat on their taxes or anything..

Crap. I suck at decision-making.

The newer model is actually available in Thailand...sigh.

Yes, LCD PA241W available in Thailand already. And the attached file is the brochure and full spec.

- Price LCD PA241W è 49,900 Baht (Excluded VAT7%)

- Price Hood for LCD24" è 4,500 Baht (Excluded VAT7%

Can you please make the decision for me? unsure.gif I can't decide if older true and trusted is better than new and improved anymore...I can't see much difference in the specs myself, but they wouldn't release a new model just for the sake of it right? I mean, they're not Microsoft rolleyes.gif

pa241w.jpg

Crap. I suck at decision-making.

The newer model is actually available in Thailand...sigh.

Yes, LCD PA241W available in Thailand already. And the attached file is the brochure and full spec.

- Price LCD PA241W è 49,900 Baht (Excluded VAT7%)

- Price Hood for LCD24" è 4,500 Baht (Excluded VAT7%

Can you please make the decision for me? unsure.gif I can't decide if older true and trusted is better than new and improved anymore...I can't see much difference in the specs myself, but they wouldn't release a new model just for the sake of it right? I mean, they're not Microsoft rolleyes.gif

dam_n.. this is a tough decision. Reminds me of the decision I agonized over 3 months ago when ordering my LCD2690uxi2's.. since then I've learned more. Maybe this information will be useful to your decision.. I'll just make some points.

1. Since coming out the PA series has received very positive reviews. However, there have been several reports of uneven luminance coverage and other issues which could be a design issue.. or perhaps those particular monitors sustained a heavy drop somewhere in the shipping process.. dunno. The previous series had the same sort of issues when they first came out, but they're practically non-existent now.

2. The only real differences with the PA series revolve around color accuracy. This is very important to a imaging professional, less important to you. And while there are improvements with color accuracy they are mostly regarding the ease and setup of the color.. not actually being more accurate than the previous series. There are zillions of the previous series out there in imaging workstations doing great. So.. I think the improvements aren't so important to you.

3. There is a 10,000 baht difference. What more are you getting for that 10,000 baht? More easily obtained color accuracy.. okay.. But how about the warranty? In the USA the previous series came with a 4 year warranty but here only 3.. If the PA series came with that extra year it could sway me. That last year is when a lot of usage starts to affect them..

4. Long long term.. probably the local repair facility will support the new PA series longer than the previous series. But are we talking 5 years or 10 years from now? I dunno.. I suspect any of these monitors will naturally age to the point we'll want to replace them anyway.. as being more cost effective than replacing the old panels that fade. My last set of monitors lasted 6-7 years. Replacing the panels would have cost me half as much as new ones. Yet, the supporting electronics were also aged. Would they go next? And the new panels were only warrantied for 90 days.. seemed more prudent to buy completely new monitors.

The funny part about this.. as far as panel quality.. there wasn't a lot of difference if any between my last set of monitors which by now is a 10 year old design.. and the new ones I have. The difference is in the supporting electronics that help me calibrate/profile the color.. its much easier with the new ones. But looking at the PA and LCD series.. the differences are very small. You'll still want to get the SVII kit with either one.. which means you'll be using the same software and hardware to color profile them.. so the differences are much smaller.

Not sure if any of that was useful to you. I'd just ask.. what are you getting for 10,000 baht more and is it worth it? An extra year warranty would sway me. I think you're going to be thrilled either way.. ecstatic even..

• Like 1

It continues to amaze me how your responses negate my concerns with perfect illumination. Thank you!

Literally all 4 points have convinced me to go for the older model. In ways that eliminate all my hmming and hawing and indecision. Not sure how I'd repay your assistance, but I definitely owe you a solid!

Now I just need to find a carbon copy of you [expert + generous with advice] for air purifiers / ionizers / smoke absorbing machine or w/e - one time! laugh.gif

It continues to amaze me how your responses negate my concerns with perfect illumination. Thank you!

Literally all 4 points have convinced me to go for the older model. In ways that eliminate all my hmming and hawing and indecision. Not sure how I'd repay your assistance, but I definitely owe you a solid!

Now I just need to find a carbon copy of you [expert + generous with advice] for air purifiers / ionizers / smoke absorbing machine or w/e - one time! laugh.gif

I hope it works out for you and the monitor is everything you hope it will be. I think it will be.. with the only issues you'll have (assuming you get the SVII kit without a hassle) will be choosing the settings that work best for your eyes. You might have to try a few different settings for small periods of time before you find what you like.. but you will. Monitor placement (in relation to windows and other light sources) will make the most difference. Assembling the hood was a bit tricky but just do what I did. Bribe your 17 year old son to do it for you..

Bribe your 17 year old son to do it for you..

Crap. I'm the type of useless variety who struggles when I need to watch a DVD and the TV is set to Cable [and I'm only half-j/k'ing sigh]. eh I'll cross that bridge when I get to it - in 45-50 days cool.gif apologies in advance for the inevitable "pls help SOS" message dated late October.

"pls help SOS" message dated late October.

Don't hesitate to PM me.. I don't regularly frequent these forums.. it was a bit of an accident I saw your thread, and you did ask so nicely and all.. :jap: