Nfl 2010 Season

Believe it or not, the 2010 NFL Season kickoff is right around the corner...

On ASN, they will have their first of the new season Total Access Induction Show for "Hall of Fame Week" airing 4 pm Sunday, Aug. 8 (Thai time).

Then ASN will air the Hall of Fame Game between Dallas and Cincinatti starting 7 am on Monday, Aug. 9, and repeating at 7 pm that day. In the U.S. the game will be broadcast nationally on NBC.

The first pre-season weekend runs Thurs. Aug. 12 through Monday Aug. 16, and the Thursday games that week include Oakland @ Dallas and New Orleans & New England, though those two at least for now apparently aren't on the ASN schedule.

Notwithstanding that, I'm assuming ASN will continue its practice from last season of airing live at least the four national game broadcasts each week of the regular season, including the morning, afternoon and evening games on Sunday and then Monday night football.

Meanwhile, the NFL website under "Game Access" finally has been updated to show all their subscription video and audio packages for the season and their pricing. You'll only be able to see the pages for packages that are available for your IP address, depending on whether it's Thailand or the U.S.

--$279.99 for NFL Game Pass (available only to IP addresses outside the U.S.), which includes live and on demand access to all pre-season and regular season games, and 24x7 access to the NFL Network.

--$199.99 Follow Your Team subscription (available only to IP addresses outside the U.S.), which provide live and on demand access to all the games of the single team you select.

--$39.99 promotional/$49.99 regular price for NFL Game Rewind (available only to IP addresses IN the U.S.), which provides 24-hour delayed video access to all regular season games, but NOT the pre-season this year.

--$29.99 Audio Pass subscription, which provides live radio broadcasts of games, including the choice of home, away, Spanish or national announcing teams, as available.

--$39.99 Preseason Live Subscription (available only to IP addresses IN the U.S.), which offers live and on demand video of more than 50 preseason games.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scuba, that's another good way to watch U.S. television, including pro sports, but it's hardly free.

You're buying the hardware up front and then paying for cable service and an Internet connection in the U.S. every month (or using someone else's).

And then there's the issues other TV members wrote about in the threads on Slingboxing, including the power going out and their boxes turning off, trouble keeping their connection in working order, and difficulties in getting sufficient streaming speeds...

I authored another thread here lately on the different ways to watch live U.S. TV online, either for pay or free. And in doing so, I tested out a couple different commercial slingbox services, which I thoroughly enjoyed... However, doing that, it also became clear to me that Flash-based streaming video like the NFL feeds is much more bandwidth efficient than the Slingbox streams, for comparable resolutions.

I know Flash video may well be replaced in the future with another dominant format, like HTML5 native video, but that's not here yet, and when it comes, I'm assuming all the pro sports video subscriptions will eventually migrate to the future default.

Meanwhile, one nice thing about the paid NFL packages like Game Rewind is that you can watch the games when you want, whenever you want, and even go back and watch a game from the first week of the season at the very end of the season. For the $40 price of the Game Rewind season package, I'd call that a good deal.

• Like 1

I actually would have missed the Cowboy game on Monday without your post reminding me. Thanks for this. Of course, given how early in the pre season it is, we won't see starters on the field for very long, but it will be interesting to see TO and 85 going against the Cowboys defense.

Unfortunately we won't be able to see Dez Bryant due to his injury, but every Cowboy fan can't wait to see this guy in action.

I have mixed feelings about you starting a new NFL thread. I PM'ed Chuck Z last year to see if he is still around and he responded. He is back in the US, but still looking at the NFL thread from time to time (which he started several years ago).

With the NFL pro football season about to begin, there's another online viewing option I just came across this week that could be a very attractive option, especially for Americans, no matter where they are living.

In another ThaiVisa thread on general online TV viewing of U.S. content, I came across a new commercial TV streaming service called USTVNow that's run by a professional company, NationPhone based in New York, and not a homegrown on-and-off streamer.

For Americans, if you're willing to give them a Social Security number (which I wouldn't do) or a U.S. credit or debit card # and billing address (which I would and did do), you can set up a membership ID and account whereby you'll have free ongoing 24/7 streaming access to the 6 major U.S. over-the-air TV networks, being ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW and PBS. Under the free plan, they won't charge the card, but only use the info to verify you're an American citizen.

I've been using their free, six networks service for the past couple days, and I must say it works fine... They deliver the video stream via Flash video, and I find the video quality to be better and less bandwidth intensive than comparable streams delivered via Slingbox or other delivery methods.

The relevance for this thread, of course, is it becomes a free way to watch NFL football games as broadcast on CBS, NBC and Fox. It's an alternative for those who either don't have ASN via TrueVisions or perhaps don't like the sound quality issues they sometimes have. It may also provide a way to watch different games from those broadcast on ASN because of the regional games issue, as I'll explain further below.

Of course, this company doesn't make their money by providing a free service, so I think the free service is their way of attracting customers for their two other paid plans. You can stick to the free service if that's all you want, no problem. But if you want more, they also offer a $39-a-month plan that includes streaming of the six over-the-air networks plus 15 other U.S. major cable channels including CNN, CNBC, ESPN, TBS, TNT and others. Or, for $49-a-month, they offer the same upgraded service with DVR capacity. The full list of their 21 channel plan is available on a FAQ here...

The one other sports-related issue to mention about this service is that their streams originate from the Pennsylvania area, so the local news and such you'll see on the major networks originates from that area. Thus, I'd assume, the regional NFL games shown on the three (NFL showing) TV networks would be the regional games shown in the Pennsylvania area, whatever games those might be.

I subscribed to an earlier and different version of their service (which had only paid plans, and no free one) last month, just as they were ending that service and transitioning to the new one that just launched at the beginning of August. Back in July, I paid via credit card for a 3-day trial costing $5. When they canceled the prior service, they immediately refunded the $5 charge to my credit card with no problems whatsoever. And in all my dealing with them since then, they've been very prompt and responsive in responding. So I believe them to be a serious, legitimate company and content provider.

The online registration process is easy and takes less than 5 minutes to set up... You use the registration page on their web site to provide an email address and password. Then they email you with the registration link to enter the SSN or CC info to verify the account. But as I stated above, the free plan is really free...no catches... no limitations beyond only getting the six over-the-air networks. If you want the cable channels, then that's the extra cost. Hope some of you will find it of interest and use...

post-53787-051784100 1281261201_thumb.jp

Wow....that sounds great!

Thanks for such a comprehensive report on that. This'll probably be the way for me to go once the regular season games begin.

And why not a new thread? It's a new season, and the other one has been going so long anyway. Thread says it right there, NFL 1010 Season.

BTW, did you see any of the Hall-of-Fame ceremonies? As a 49er fan, a wonderful day to celebrate possibly the greatest player, at least among the greatest NFL players, Jerry Rice. And nice to see that Joe Montana showed up.

I watched the NFL Total Access show on ASN on Sunday afternoon. I believe the show was the Saturday one from the U.S., the day before advance previewing the Induction Ceremony. They had Jerry Rice and Emmitt Thomas as the featured guest during an interesting three hour show.

Here's the upcoming ASN schedule re the NFL...

7 am Mon. - PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME GAME - CINCINNATI BENGALS v DALLAS COWBOYS

4 pm Mon. - NFL Total Access Induction Show from Sat., Aug. 7

7 pm Mon. - PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME GAME - CINCINNATI BENGALS v DALLAS COWBOYS

11 am Tues. - Repeat of Hall of Fame Game

According to the True UBC schedule, ASN also is airing repeats of some of the 09-10 Playoff Games on Tues and Weds...

Then the additional preseason games on ASN are:

7 am Fri, Aug. 13 - Carolina v Baltimore, repeating at 7 pm

7 am Tues. Aug.17 - Giants v the Jets, repeating at 7 pm

So far, ASN appears to be carrying all the preseason games that are being carried by the U.S. for national broadcast.

Edited by jfchandler

Also ASN will be showing the following preseason games:

Aug 17- 0700 NY Giants @ NY Jets

Aug 20- 0700 New England @ Atlanta

Aug 23- 0700 Minnesota @ SF

Aug 24- 0700 Arizona @ Tennessee

Aug 27- 0700 Indianapolis @ Green Bay

Aug 28- 0700 San Diego @ New Orleans

Aug 29- 0700 Dallas @ Houston

10. Aug 30- 0700 Pittsburgh @ Denver

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, does anyone want to admit which team they pull for before the season starts? I am a big Cowboy fan and for good or for bad, don't mind admitting it now.

49ers.....yeah, it's been a while since they were 'in the mix'. But they might be NFC West favorites this year?

And still have some residual fondness for the Raiders. Not for anything recent they've done, because they've stunk up most of the decade. Is there one last hurrrah for them under Al?

Speaking as a Bay Area born guy, hope springs eternal...

The 9ers do look better this year, and their young quarterback Nate Davis was really impressive... But I've been watching the Chargers and Philip Rivers, who likewise looks really sharp thus far... People thought the Chargers without LT wouldn't be so good, but I'm not sure about that... I think the rivalry between the two teams is going to be interesting...

Re the Raiders, at least they're FINALLY scoring some touchdowns.... Glad they got Jason Campbell in the off season, and he's looked OK in pre-season... But I've been a big fan of Bruce Gradkowski, and believe he deserved/earned a shot at the starting job...not just as a stand-in... He's got grit and desire, which counts for a lot at QB....

BUMMER!!!

A ton of games in the USA on Thurs, the final week of preseason, and ASN is showing NONE of them....

Just a two week old repeat on Friday and a Pro Bowl repeat on Sat....

I know the final week of pre-season isn't the best games... But still, nothing???

Guess I'll have to resort to other measures to get my fill of NFL football for the (early) weekend. ;)

Here's the NFL Network's Broadcast schedule for USA Thurs night/ Thailand Fri morning...in Thai time.

6:00 AM 2010 NFL Preseason Live Game: New England Patriots vs. New York Giants (LIVE)

9:00 AM 2010 NFL Preseason Live Game: Washington Redskins vs. Arizona Cardinals (LIVE)

12 Noon 2010 NFL Preseason Game: San Diego Chargers vs. San Francisco 49ers

Edited by jfchandler

fyi, I re-subscribed to NFL Game Rewind package today, while they're still have a pre-season rate of $39.99....which is $10 off the rate they'll start charging very soon or once the regular season begins. This year, Game Rewind includes video on demand of every regular season game, but not pre or post seasons.... It was nice to see that even now, before the 2010 season starts, the Game Rewind package includes full access to all the games from the 2009 season as well.. And the subscription is valid thru early January.

But, I was really angry at the NFL about a different matter... After I subscribed, their web site offered a discounted $10 subscription to what's left of the pre-season... So I thought, maybe that would be a way to go back and see some of the earlier games I missed... But that's not going to happen...

Although they were still offering the preseason live package today, the last day of games in the preseason, they told me online that the package validity period expires tomorrow... So you'd have exactly one day to view any of the games before your subscription expires... And of course, no where on the NFL's web site or info about the package does it explain that... Thanks, but no thanks....

Massive Houston Texans Fan here born in the UK but I love both versions of football.

Every year I also return home to the UK to see the NFL International Game.

NFLIntnlSeries%202009.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1264447684071

Of course I can't leave with out a picture of the Main Man at the Texans

andre-johnson-big-texans-sportsroid.jpg

Roll on the 26th of September :partytime2:

Link worked fine here... ASN is good.... But watching NFL Network plus ASN is even better!!!

With TOT (True is boycotting where I live) I can't seem to get a signal strong enough for NFL Game Pass. Still, given what we have had in the past, ASN is great.

I would like to see the 49ers do well also, especially since the Cowboys don't play them. It reminds me of Romo's comment to a Tampa Bay coach last year, when he said before the first game of the season, 'have a great year. Just not against us'.

OMR, EVERYBODY'S been man-handling the Cowboys thus far in the pre-season...

If it stays like that during the regular season, you're gonna have a LONG fall.... :D

Hey, they were 3-2 this pre-season, beating the Bengals, Chargers and Dolphins. The game against the Texans was a disappointment because it showed that several players on the first team offense were not on the same page with each other. This is worrisome along with the injuries to the offensive line.

In any event, it will be a long season for all teams.

Pre Season is Pre Season it really means nothing. Give no real guide to the regular season.

I will keep quiet till after the game before I say anything about the Cowboys game.

It's just one game and the Texans could loose this game and win the SuperBowl:whistling:

Cheers

Pompui

PS: Good Luck to both teams in the season opener.

BTW, my link to the TRUE/ASN NFL schedule on page 1 (post #14) works all the time, and rolls continuously, now showing 12 pages out to week 4.

Here it is again TRUE ASN NFL TV Schedule

Also some games on TrueSport 3, and an HD game! Scroll to page 13.

So it looks like two (2) Sunday afternoon games will be on TS3 each week. :D

Edited by lomatopo

Big day for the NFL on ASN today (Monday). Never quite seen a daily schedule like this before... 100% NFL...

11:00 CAROLINA PANTHERS @ NEW YORK GIANTS

13:30 ARIZONA CARDINALS @ ST. LOUIS RAMS

16:00 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS @ HOUSTON TEXANS

18:30 GREEN BAY PACKERS @ PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

21:00 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - DALLAS COWBOYS @ WASHINGTON REDSKINS

BTW, my link to the TRUE/ASN NFL schedule on page 1 (post #14) works all the time, and rolls continuously, now showing 12 pages out to week 4.

Here it is again TRUE ASN NFL TV Schedule

Also some games on TrueSport 3, and an HD game! Scroll to page 13.

So it looks like two (2) Sunday afternoon games will be on TS3 each week. :D

From what I've seen so far--and what the True magazine schedule shows--ALL the NFL games shown on channel 108 (Plat package) will be shown numerous times during the week on channel 103 (Gold package).

So...if not seeing the live games isn't a problem then there's really no need to pay for the Platinum package. Don't know if this situation will continue throughout the season but I haven't upgraded to the Plat package just yet...