What To Do

A friend of mine is relocating to Thailand to retire. She currently lives in Perth ( Australia) and wants to bring her Retriever Dog with her. She has tried various avenues to get information and has now asked me to see what I can find out.

I would like to hear from anyone who has imported a dog , i.e. what paperwork does she need, does the dog have to go into quarantine etc, otherwise someone might be able to point me in the right direction for gathering the relavent info. Many thanks.

I brought 2 dogs here, went through a company called air animal. They handle all the paperwork and offer door to door service, no hidden costs to phuket. (no shakedown at the airport). This was from USA and I believe it costs around $6,000usd which included a stopover in germany where they have the facilities to let the dogs out and spend the night. I left a few days before the dogs so by the time they got here I was ready and waiting.

There is no quarantine, you just get the shots that are required done for thailand.

Edited by BillR

Thanks, however pets and plants have nothing specific to offer thats why I posted in general, this is not a dog problem, more a question on logistics and red tape.

Isn't their anyone out their who has bought a pet in from Australia?

Here you find all paperwork and vaccinations what your friend need for the dog to come inside Thailand: Bureau of Animal Disease Control and Department of Livestock Development

For the Transportbox your friend can ask the airline with what he/she send the dog or try to find a used one in the local classifieds.

Here are some information from Qantas Airline

I don't know what Charter Airlines fly from Australia to Thailand, but maybe it's much more cheaper for the dog. I paid for my big german shepherd dog (40kg) together with his flightbox (20kg) with a german charter airline (LTU/Air Berlin) only 60,- EUR for the oneway flight. And I must be with on the flight. With Thai Airways or Lufthansa I had must paid around 1600,- EUR.

But it's very important too, that your friend checkout the income rules for australia, so that he/she not have problems after to take the dog back to australia. The European Countries need a rabbit bloodcheck from a specialized Labour otherwise the dog must go in quarantaene (6 weeks) on the return.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably too late for this, but I wanted to point something out. Bringing a pet into Thailand is not a big deal (pm if you want more info; I brought along two dogs and a cat). The problem is going back to Australia with the animal. When I lived in Vietnam, I had a friend who was taking a dog back to Australia. She had to put him in quarantine in Singapore for six months (yes, Singapore, even though she didn't live there) and then pick him up and fly him to Australia for two extra months of quarantine. Don't know if the same applies to animals coming from Thailand, but I would check.