Thais Sitting On, Hanging Around, Playing With, Modifying Your Motorbike.

thomo

[rant]

Used to bloody hate this when I had my scooter. Park outside a 7-11 or cinema, come back and there's people sitting on (even lying back on) your bike, leaving plastic bags on the handles, hanging rubbish off the mirrors, playing with mirrors while chatting on their phone while fully perched on it. Leaving half drunk drinks sitting on the seat. Grrrrr. I'm sure you've been there.

Well at work, I've got my cbr150, and the rest have scooters, so the lazy ass security spend the day lying back on these Honda deckchairs, leaning up against them, adjusting the mirrors, leaving their plastic bags in the little holders, fiddling with the cables etc while chatting and probably informing each other of how they can expertly fix and modify them.

So my bike is generally left alone, until today I went out the front and 3 were all in various positions of either leaning on, sitting on, or lying on my bike. I keep on watching and one begins showing the others how the front brake works - pulling the bike back, then pushing forward and pulling on the brake - it really was quite the demonstration as he did it about 5 times, before backing the bike out like he taking it for a spin. This is obviously enough and I'm on my way down to them, go though the gate, out the other side and he's sitting on it fully, and giving quite a lecture and demonstration of how front breaks work. One looks up, sees me coming and he's off the bike, and they're all standing around, quite amazingly without leaning against a stationary object for the first time that day. They see my eyes, okay, leave it at that, I don't want any confrontations that'll result in me losing face in front of my employers or customers, like demonstrating how to apply the front brake while riding over someones head for example.

I left it at that, then left work to find that they had flicked the key lock over the keyhole... and that for some reason set me off. Kunting basterds.

So tomorrow I'm telling them in no uncertain terms to not touch my bike again, and also squeeling like a little girl to the most feared Thai manageress in the company to tell them to stay the <deleted> <deleted> away from the bikes.

Wonder if it'll get any mysterious scratches or flat tyres while at work over the next few months. :(

[/rant]

Edited by thomo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just get a disc lock with an alarm. scare the shit out of them ist time it goes off :D

I have the same problem, I'm sure a couple of mum's had built a 15 minute timeslot into their day when their 2 year old kids could climb on my gas tank and play with the controls on my bike. I ignored it for a week or so and then it got old having to check the engine kill switch, indicators etc before I could start the bike (assuming the engine wasn't flooded). I even had 2 of my bikes chained to each other by the frame and at one point the kid had slipped in between the bikes and was swinging on the chain. In the end I spoke to one of the mothers (as nicely as possible considering I'd come home after a pretty shitty day to find them there again) and in fairness I haven't seen them on there since or had any flat tyres but I'd prefer a disk lock with a loud alarm to make it extremely uncomfortable and embarrassing for them to do it, I think this is the only way to stop them.

But are the alarms sensitive enough to go off with just a small kid climbing around on the seat and the tank? I heard even adults can sit on a bike with these Xena locks on and they don't go off unless the bikes moves forwards or backwards? Anyone know?

Unfortunately they need to be able to move our bikes when a van etc drops people off.

Perhaps some sort of 100,000 volt battery hooked up to the seat might convince them not to sit on it again?

Did they break anything? If not, so what.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Clearly, this wouldn't happen in the west. But we're not in the west. Enjoy the LOS. Life is short, it seems dumb to waste it on "getting angry" over little things. Unless you derive pleasure from that?!

When I was a regular guest at the Holiday Inn CM I always parked my ER-6n in the special spot, a half parking space otherwise going unused. Didn't want it out behind the dumpsters where they want motorcycles parked. Imagine how angry security got at this rules infringement! Not. They're Thai, they're not German, and they don't mind in the least. Likewise, when they were playing around with my shiny new bike (5 km at the clock), I smiled at them and exchanged some thumbs-ups. If they damage the bike, I'll hold them responsible. If they don't - and of course they don't - why should I care? Let them have their fun, boring enough to be a security guard.

Come to think of it with all the attention my bike was probably the most secure vehicle in the entire parking lot...

Live and let live ;)

And when you come back and its been dropped, but no ones around, and everyone denies it.. Still so happy ??

I dont freak out, but it does annoy the shit out of me, to come back and find some adult sitting on the bike, flooding the carbs, and playing imaginary brum brum games in his head.

Just leave peoples stuff alone.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Clearly, this wouldn't happen in the west. But we're not in the west. Enjoy the LOS. Life is short, it seems dumb to waste it on "getting angry" over little things. Unless you derive pleasure from that?!

When I was a regular guest at the Holiday Inn CM I always parked my ER-6n in the special spot, a half parking space otherwise going unused. Didn't want it out behind the dumpsters where they want motorcycles parked. Imagine how angry security got at this rules infringement! Not. They're Thai, they're not German, and they don't mind in the least. Likewise, when they were playing around with my shiny new bike (5 km at the clock), I smiled at them and exchanged some thumbs-ups. If they damage the bike, I'll hold them responsible. If they don't - and of course they don't - why should I care? Let them have their fun, boring enough to be a security guard.

Come to think of it with all the attention my bike was probably the most secure vehicle in the entire parking lot...

Live and let live ;)

Probably not aimed at me but yeah I've had damage caused by this type of thing in the past. A damaged tank, deep scratches all over the left hand side of the tank from (I assume) the studs on their jean pockets as they lean against it pretending the bike is theirs. 1000 baht (and 2 days off the road) to repair. I guess you wouldn't mind. Try doing it to their bike/truck and see if they're so laid back :)

It's not common but this has happened in Los Angeles.

My friend left his MV Agusta outside his house and some neighborhood kids managed to drop it!

Now that's disrespectful, that's like keying the paint on a Ferrari.

If you leave your bike at a dealership for service people sit on it because they think its a dealer bike for sale.

After hearing such atrocities, I took a spiked helmet strip like this

http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=spike+strip+helmet&spell=1&oi=spell

and attached bungie hooks to the ends.

I always strapped the spike strip over the seat when in public.

The spikes were dull enough that you could sit on it and they would just lay flat and not puncture the seat, but no one will ever sit on a bike with spikes coming out of it.

I have never seen these goofy spike strips in Thailand but I've never been to a Harley shop here either.

Order one online or you could make one out of a spiked belt which I'm sure must be found here somewhere in MBK or some skater shop.

The Xena locks must have a mercury switch but I think there's a lot of room for slow fiddling.

Only several degrees of movement or sudden shock will set it off.

It would have definitely worked in your case though since it was being rolled around.

There's disrespect everywhere.

It's natural that poor and stupid people have no respect or idea as to what the finer things cost.

If it looks cool, its human nature to want to touch it, (kind of like a woman's boobs).

I've heard many stories of ignorant kids and women leaning against nice cars and taking pictures with them.

Those people don't know that some sportscars have thin sheetmetal that can dent easily or that just rubbing against any car can grind unseen dirt into the paint.

All over America the public will write "clean me' on dirty car windows.

Once again this can scratch the glass if there's sand on it.

You gotta just accept that society is a bunch of morons and your nice things will be messed with.

This is why I like to leave my bikes dirty (to a point) as they are less likely to be sat on or stolen.

Years ago a friend of mine came out of a bar to find a Thai guy on his motorcycle who did not want to get off. He had words with him and before he knew it he was getting beat up by a bunch of Thai guys. I don't know what the solution is but take it easy when evicting him/them from their squatter's rights. Maybe the business owner's crew would be of some help for a few bucks or could call the cops?

Go to the local bike shop and get a cheap remote control alarm (around 700 baht) Even is they don't set it off when sitting on it, if you see them you can just press a button and the alarm will sound. Guarantee you will only have to do it a couple of times.

Used to have the same problem with my BMW but bought an expensive alarm with a proximity detector that warns people if they get to close.

Live and let live ;)

Probably not aimed at me but yeah I've had damage caused by this type of thing in the past. A damaged tank, deep scratches all over the left hand side of the tank from (I assume) the studs on their jean pockets as they lean against it pretending the bike is theirs. 1000 baht (and 2 days off the road) to repair. I guess you wouldn't mind. Try doing it to their bike/truck and see if they're so laid back :)

Huh?

I believe I wrote:

"If they damage the bike, I'll hold them responsible".

I just don't see getting all puffed up over the "problem" of Thais not keeping a distance from the bike when it's not actually a problem, which in the vast majority of cases it isn't. It's silly.

A big bike parked on the streets of Bangkok at night is a total nightmare.

Several times I came back to my bike, only to note that someone moved my bike!

Another time some arsehol_e driving a Benz must have thought it was funny to wedge his bumper onto my bike while it was parked. I couldn't get the bike upright. Had to drag it out to stand the bike up proper.

A few years ago back in the home country I stopped on a ride to get a couple of sandwiches at a shop which I intended to eat at a local park. After purchasing the sandwiches I made my way back to my bike where I found a guy in his earlier 30ies standing next to my bike and he was holding onto his snotty nosed little brat who was sitting on the riders seat and slapping the tank with his grubby little hands. The bike was one of my pride and joys and was gleaming in all its beauty with this filthy little child on its back.

I approached and clearly annoyed said, <deleted> do you think you are doing? The guy replied, "My boy wants to sit on your bike" I said, "I don't care, get him off." I then had several words with this douchebag about what he was doing and during that conversation I established that the car parked nearby was his, it looked like a nice car, so I thought to myself, why the heck not. I walked up to his car, got into the drivers seat and commenced to eat my lunch. I made sure I got those sandwich crumbs everywhere and even managed to spill a bit of my flavoured milk. During the entire time the douchebag stood at the door whining about me and constantly requesting that I get out. A couple of times he threatened to kick over my bike & I clearly pointed out to him that wouldnt be a good option for him.

Anyway, when i finished my lunch, i deposited the rubbish on the floor of his car, wiped my hands on the roof lining and got out and onto my bike. He took my rego number & said he was going to the cops & I just smiled. Never heard anything. Fekkin goose. :lol:

I was always taught to respect other peoples property and believe one shouldnt touch unless envited, so I understand where the OP's at.

In part this does come back to the mantra I have slowly come to accept, which is that the nicer the things you own in Thailand, the more headaches come with them.

Doesnt matter if its high end electronics lowing up with bad power, nice cars getting 'door dinged' in the car parks, bikes, etc etc etc.

Live and let live ;)

Huh?

I believe I wrote:

"If they damage the bike, I'll hold them responsible".

I just don't see getting all puffed up over the "problem" of Thais not keeping a distance from the bike when it's not actually a problem, which in the vast majority of cases it isn't. It's silly.

Yeah cos Thais always own up to the expensive damage they do..

You come back, its dinged up, moved etc.. There will be no one around to hold responsible.

Years ago I used to park my zx12r outside my house... beautiful to look at, driving by in a car or just sitting there next to it... That bike brought a smile to my face...

BUT

One day outside I discovered that someone had been playing with the mirrors.. I did not care about the students at school, they did not sit on this bike, they just walked around it and touched it (facinating) they were just like I was when I was younger...

At home I discovered that my neighbours kids were climbing all over my bike unlike the students. I told the parents that they should tell their offsprings to not climb on it as none of them could lift the bike up if it ever fell down, none of them could also pay for the damages that would happen to the bike. I told them this with the aid of my friend and believe me, if you talk to the parents/people nicely... they will listen to you...

It is not ok for people to play with your ride...

Picture you parking a lambo spyder outside a bar, coming out after 20 min you see 2 people sitting in it, what would you do????

People are curious when you have a flashy toy, touching is ok, but not sitting or fiddeling on it... (think adjustable suspension!!!)

Well in my case they'd already gone and didn't leave a note to say who'd done it, so how would you hold them responsible? Even if you could, I'd rather not have the bike in the garage for 2 days having the tank repaired, it's just easier if they leave it alone. I think I'll just get a cheap alarm as another poster suggested.

Edited by JonnyF

I had this problem when I lived in an apartment building and it didn't bother me too much until I came down one day and found a cigarette burn hole in the seat of my motorcycle.

What worked for me after that was to chain it up against one of the structural support columns so that it was very inconvenient to sit on.

Had a beautiful Mazda Miata 2002 Special edition sports car I left parked in the Chicago area and when I came back there were cigarette burns on the convertible top. <snip>

Edited by soundman
Completely unnecessary comment stereo-typing all Thai's as the same removed.

A big bike parked on the streets of Bangkok at night is a total nightmare.

Several times I came back to my bike, only to note that someone moved my bike!

Another time some arsehol_e driving a Benz must have thought it was funny to wedge his bumper onto my bike while it was parked. I couldn't get the bike upright. Had to drag it out to stand the bike up proper.

I hope you discretely keyed the Benz.

Complained to the manageress like a little girl.

Today at lunch they were all standing sheepishly under a little tree 10 meters away.

The sad thing being, they probably don't even comprehend what the problem is.

Possibly. Who knows. They might well have been demonstrating the common Thai expertize that they seem to possess on every topic on Earth.

Fiddling with the mirrors, key lock and brakes is enough to warrant being told to stay the fuc_k away from it, in my books.

Live and let live ;)

So you'll hold them responsible if they damage your bike? Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

And remember, not all of us ride ER6n's that only cost a few hundred Baht to repair. ;)

I had this happen to me at a gas station on the way to Ayutthaya once. Came out of the shop to find a gas attendant sitting on my bike and holding on to the bars. Of course the first thought that popped into my head was that he was trying to steal it or something, so I plastered him on the side of the head with my (full) bottle of water.

Felt good, man.

Edited by Zzinged

So far so good with the Ducati..had plenty of young lads hanging around it at one time or another. No one has screwed with it so far, but mind you its always been in view or someone has been watching it. Have never noticed anyone trying to sit on it. Most have just smiled and pointed. Respect so far, but I'll still keep a watchful eye out :DB)

Yes, I'm finding that crowding around my bike, sitting on it, testing controls and so forth is a BIG problem too.

There's a place here in CM where I can have lunch with a friend (Black Canyon/Carrefour) and keep an eye on my bike if I park it outside.

The youngsters gather around like mosquitoes with a mission on a moist evening.

But I can't find it in my heart to challenge jealousy such of a high degree. After all, it is a brand new Tiger Boxer 250RS!:whistling:

Live and let live ;)

So you'll hold them responsible if they damage your bike? Good luck with that! :rolleyes:

And remember, not all of us ride ER6n's that only cost a few hundred Baht to repair. ;)

You don,t need anyone pissing about with a Ducati for parts to fall off.They can do that all by themselves.;)