Olympic Games

In these modern times, are the Olympic's really that important...? sure they give a wide range of lesser followed sports a T.V audience, and they are good for the likes of Boxing and Swimming, but are the Games just one big advert ?......

Look at the Sydney games.....its well know that China was the prefered option for 2000, mainly coz Coca-Cola wanted to push into China, but there where some political and money questions that cooled that bid.....Australia with a small population and already highly westernised, was not high on the list of major companies, who where and are falling over themselves to throw money into China for sponsorship deals.....

London will be great, but is an Olympic medal really that important compaired to say a "World Cup" soccer victory..?

The Olympic's cost alot of money......

Edited by Siam_superfly

In these modern times, are the Olympic's really that important...? sure they give a wide range of lesser followed sports a T.V audience, and they are good for the likes of Boxing and Swimming, but are the Games just one big advert ?......

Look at the Sydney games.....its well know that China was the prefered option for 2000, mainly coz Coca-Cola wanted to push into China, but there where some political and money questions that cooled that bid.....Australia with a small population and already highly westernised, was not high on the list of major companies, who where and are falling over themselves to throw money into China for sponsorship deals.....

London will be great, but is an Olympic medal really that important compaired to say a "World Cup" soccer victory..?

The Olympic's cost alot of money......

Jeez Superfly ,that's a decent post at last. Lot of common sense there. Who did you get to write it for you?

I think the olympics are great for the lessor publicized sports like track and field, swimming, cycling, water polo etc. But to include Tennis, Basketball, Soccer and other highly professional sports is wrong.

The Olympics do cost a lot of money, but they certainly bring in a lot of money as well as create employment in building facilities that become useful to the host cities after the event. The Syney stadium is now a great venue for sporting matches. H3LL, even the stadium that Melbourne built for the 1956 olympics is still a great sporting stadium.

I think your average Englishman would swap out of the Olympics if they could win a World Cup instead. (Not host - but win)

Personally, I prefer the Olympics, but i'd probably be in the minority.

I think your average Englishman would swap out of the Olympics if they could win a World Cup instead. (Not host - but win)

I'd be surprised if there was "any" English males who would take the Olympic's over a World Cup....

I'd be surprised if there was "any" English males who would take the Olympic's over a World Cup....

I agree with you for once. After all we are a football motivated nation rather than Olympic. You can see that by the fact we don't enter in Olympic soccer.

I feel it is a great shame that 'our middle east friends' are not willing to compete more fully in the olympics, they might then be more able to prove just who is the greatest!

May even be more impressive than hiding under/ behind rocks after every big bang, could even show themselves for an accolade(sp?) or three! :o

I feel it is a great shame that 'our middle east friends' are not willing to compete more fully in the olympics, they might then be more able to prove just who is the greatest!

May even be more impressive than hiding under/ behind rocks after every big bang, could even show themselves for an accolade(sp?) or three!  :o

They are not our friends.....