London in chaos after terrorist blasts; 45+ killed

george

London Shuts Subway After Blasts, Evacuates Stations (Update2)

LONDON: -- London closed its subway system and evacuated all stations after reports of explosions in at least seven locations on the network. An explosion on a bus caused ``numerous casualties,'' police said.

A ``major incident'' occurred, police said, without elaborating on a possible cause. The British Broadcasting Corp. said a power surge may have affected underground trains. A bus exploded at Tavistock Square, west of the city's financial district, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said. Scotland Yards said the first blast was reported at 8:50.

Emergency services were called to Liverpool Street station, Aldgate, and Edgware Road, London police said in a statement. Transport for London, which runs the city's transport network, released a statement saying the subway was suspended and all stations have been evacuated.

A policeman on the scene at Liverpool Street said an incident may have been caused by a train crash. He didn't specify whether it was an underground or overground train.

``There was panicking inside,'' said Samantha Fletcher, who was stuck in a train for about an hour between Cannon Street and Tower Hill stations. ``They told us it was a power surge.'' Offices all around Aldgate are being shut.

A spokesman said London Fire Brigade was called to an explosion at Liverpool Street. A city of London police spokesman said a blast occurred just before 9 a.m. local time at Aldgate station, and a number of people were wounded.

London Ambulance Service initially sent four vehicles to Liverpool Street, a spokesman said.

--Bloomberg 2005-07-07

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

London's subway system shut down after explosions; three buses blasted

LONDON (AP) - Several blasts went off on the London subway and on three double-decker buses at the morning rush hour Thursday, injuring some people and prompting officials to shut down the entire underground transport network.

Police say there were serious casualties in the London explosions but have not confirmed any deaths. British Home Secretary Charles Clarke said there have been "terrible injuries" in the London explosions.

The near simultaneous explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G8 summit was getting underway in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out an intentional attack.

Sky News showed a picture of a mangled red bus and said it appeared London had come under a terror attack.

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station and that some passengers had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London.

A witness at the Russell Square blast said the entire top deck of that bus was destroyed.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

She said the bus was packed with people.

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air," she said.

There was no official comment from British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was hosting the world's most powerful leaders at Gleneagles, Scotland, or from his government. It was not clear if the G8 gathering focusing on climate change and aid for Africa - but from which Iraq has largely been left off the agenda - would have to be postponed.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

London Ambulance Service said several vehicles had been dispatched to the area near Liverpool Street station.

"We believe there was some sort of explosion. There are some walking wounded at Aldgate," said a spokesman for City of London police, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are not sure of the scale of the incident. Reports are still coming in."

Several subway stations were closed following the incident, including the busy King's Cross station in north London.

Bradley Anderson, a passenger, told Sky News that "there was some kind of explosion or something" as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

"Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train," Anderson said.

--AP 2005-07-07

BOM BLAST’S IN LONDON

1 bus blown up &

1 or more Blasts on Underground

Looking at news on TV,

People being evacuated, Injured from underground, whole system closed.

Sorry only above information available on TV

Sorry George,

I had not seen the above, I will leave to you, I am only getting information from TV

Looks horrific, total carnage.

Please close thread I started.

Ivan

Edited by IvanLaw

Watching it in London now. Comfirmed 3 bus explosions. One of the explosions was in a train carriage....reports from eye witnesses dead people on track....all bus and train services now suspended...EU officials say they have been iformed of many dead...Met police confirm at least 6 explosions...

###### ###### :o That could have been me. I really hope no one i know aws on any of the buses or tube. I worked in London for years and worked in some of the locations mentioned.So i could have been on the public transport. I'm sure there is many of us on here who feel the same. :D Makes me so ######ing angry.

British Prime Minister Tony Blairs says there has been a series of "barbaric" terrorist attacks in London. Details soon.

(CNN) -- Below is a minute-by-minute timeline of the multiple explosions rocking London. All times are British Standard Time.

11.35 London police chief tells Reuters news agency there are "indications of explosives" at one of the blast sites.

11.15 Police say there were at least six explosions in London.

11:15 European Union commissioner for justice and security affairs Franco Frattini tells reporters in Rome that the blasts in London are terrorist attacks.

11:10 Police say they have reports of two deaths and nine injuries at Aldgate East subway station.

11:07 All bus services have been suspended in London, news agencies report.

10.57 British Prime Minister Tony Blair will stay at the G8 summit in Scotland but says he will speak at midday.

10:47 Home Secretary Charles Clarke says multiple London blasts cause "terrible injuries."

10:46 Police report serious casualties in London explosions, but no deaths confirmed.

10:46 Witness to Britain's Sky News says second blast heard in Russell Square.

10:45 Police sources say a bomb is suspected in London bus explosion.

10:33 Police confirm at least three explosions on buses in central London.

10:25 Police confirm explosion on bus in central London in the area around Russell Square.

10:24 Scotland Yard says "multiple explosions" rock London.

10:14 News agencies report a bus has exploded in central London.

10:02 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident."

09:53 Metronet says the entire London subway network has been shut down.

Police says incidents are reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

09:41 London Underground reports a second explosion at a subway station in northwest London.

09:33 Witnesses say London Underground says services are suspended after "power surge."

09:27 Metronet, the subway maintenance company, says power surge has caused explosion in London tube station.

09:25 Police say "there are walking wounded" in London's financial district.

09:15 British Transport Police say a explosion is reported in London's financial district in the area near Liverpool railway station.

--CNN 2005-07-07

Al-Qaeda behind London blasts, say Arab sources - BBC

LONDON: -- Arab sources have told the BBC that the multiple attacks on London's transport system today were the work of the al-Qaeda terrorist network, the radio and TV station said.

It said security correspondent Frank Gardener, who is usually well informed, had been given the information by 'Arab sources.'

A number of British security and anti-terror experts have also spoken of a 'co-ordinated attack' that bore the hallmark of terrorism.

--AFX 2005-07-07

For those only getting their news from limited sources, please be reassured. Where there have been explosions (on one bus that we know about and in 5-6 London Underground locations) there are injuries - some severe - and some fatalities.

The London Underground system has been closed and evacuated and no buses are running in Zone 1 (Central London area). This is to be expected and sensible - it does not mean that there are incidents all over the area. The mobile 'phone networks are operating but severely overloaded for obvious reasons.

The worst situation is at Russell Square/Kings Cross stations - likely on an underground train on the Piccadilly Line between the two adjacent stations. Emergency services are at both stations and it's not yet clear whether they are tackling separate situations or accessing one train from both stations.

Bad as all this is, I appeal to forum members not to post in a way that will only cause more unnecessary worry to people reading who have loved ones in London. Apart from that, it just aids the terrorists (whether AQ or anyone else) in what they want to achieve.

For those only getting their news from limited sources, please be reassured. Where there have been explosions (on one bus that we know about and in 5-6 London Underground locations) there are injuries - some severe - and some fatalities.

The London Underground system has been closed and evacuated and no buses are running in Zone 1 (Central London area). This is to be expected and sensible - it does not mean that there are incidents all over the area. The mobile 'phone networks are operating but severely overloaded for obvious reasons.

The worst situation is at Russell Square/Kings Cross stations - likely on an underground train on the Piccadilly Line between the two adjacent stations. Emergency services are at both stations and it's not yet clear whether they are tackling separate situations or accessing one train from both stations.

Bad as all this is, I appeal to forum members not to post in a way that will only cause more unnecessary worry to people reading who have loved ones in London. Apart from that, it just aids the terrorists (whether AQ or anyone else) in what they want to achieve.

Good post :o

I'm in London at the moment. Went past the scene at Endgware Road at 10 this morning. Fire trucks and ambulances everywhere. I was on a London double decker bus for 30 minutes while the first bomb went off!!! I also usually go past Algate East on the tube, but didn't today as I caught a different overland train in!

Sky News say 7 explosions, plus other devices found. Two explosions caused loss of life, but number unknown.

First bus bomb was set off by mobile phone signal, so police shut off all the towers. Suicide bombers also expected.

90 casualties at first incident. PM coming down from Scotland for a couple of hours and then back up to G8 (Scotland).

AQ has claimed responsability in several countries, but no confirmation. No warning was given of codes given before incidents, so hard to confirm as yet.

Two deaths confirmed, although PM said there had been many killed and seriously injured.

All trains, DLR (computer driver light railway in London), buses and tubes (underground) have been shut down.

Stores are already starting to reopen around the sites. Police pretty much have it in control from what I see.

Haven't got a clue how I'm getting home tonight :o

Watch for the back-lash, coming any day soon !