Oil Exploration Off Koh Samui Will Continue

webfact

In regards to oil exploration near koh samui, can anyone show me how many tourist destinations / tourists attractions are near oil drilling platforms or nuclear power plants. Also can anyone clarify this for me

oil exploration concession is only 5km from Koh Samui. Here's what I think

a. either tourism will continue and oil won't be drilled

b. oil is drilled practically next to koh samui and koh samui dies as a tourist destination along with the thai government and suratthani losing all money gained from tourism. and additionally 40,000 people looking for new jobs. Seriously i don't believe tourists want to visit samui while seeing oil platforms next to the beach and just waiting for a giant oil spill to happen.

If the oil was really on-the-edge of the concession, and only 5 km from the beach, wouldn't it be cheaper to drill down & sideways from a location on land, rather than using an expensive offshore-rig in such shallow waters ?

In regards to oil exploration near koh samui, can anyone show me how many tourist destinations / tourists attractions are near oil drilling platforms or nuclear power plants. Also can anyone clarify this for me

oil exploration concession is only 5km from Koh Samui. Here's what I think

a. either tourism will continue and oil won't be drilled

b. oil is drilled practically next to koh samui and koh samui dies as a tourist destination along with the thai government and suratthani losing all money gained from tourism. and additionally 40,000 people looking for new jobs. Seriously i don't believe tourists want to visit samui while seeing oil platforms next to the beach and just waiting for a giant oil spill to happen.

Now boys and girls before we all start getting hysterical...... Nobody will be drilling for oil off koh Samui as very simply there is no f*kcing oil off Koh Samui to drill......its gas, at 5km offshore they will not put platforms in because its simpley too expensive, granted you may get a drilling rig there for a period of time, at 5km off, in all probability it will be sub-sea wellheads with pipelines running sub-sea, so you will not see anything...\

just thought I would add a little sanity to the hysteria

another f8kcing expert....!!!.....the Gulf of Mexico has some of the biggest cowboys in the industry operating there, not just BP.

In comparison with the Gulf of Thailand, the Gulf of mexico is like operating in the stone age.....so before you start slagging off what you THINK is happening here, go write to your congressman in the US and get them to clean up their act in the gulf of Mexico first.

Operations in the GOT are so far ahead of Gulf of Mexico, when it comes to safety etc etc....in fact in comparison with most other places I have worked, O&G in the Gulf of Thailand comes out just about on top in almost all catagories.

Could there be a disaster in the GOT ?...yes of course....its a high risk industry we are in......if all the tree huggers want to stop O&G exploration, they can..... its easy....go and convince people to stop using oil and gas..!!!....Oil Companies, like drug dealers are giving consumers what they want, thats all...

The US wants cheap oil, to get cheap oil, corners are cut to reduce costs..this is exactly what happening in the Gulf of Mexico

Procedures and regulation are all in placed at the most sites around the world.

Human error is the main problem here, lack of management skills, as many offshore supervisors are came from roustabout within a few year to AD and on to Tool P and OIM without any communication and people skills.

There been no training in places by any drilling company for supervisors to learn how to communicate, interact and get the best out of your crew.

NOT IMPORTANT in this business.

And then with all paperwork in placed, accidents happening 95% human errors. And after a incident or accident, just look if all the papers been in placed and signed, just to cover their asses.

NFS

I agree with this one. Many times i've asked people like OIM's, performance tool pushers and the 'company men' what they did before. Most of them were like burger flippers that have been taught how to type the way the 'company' wants the typing done. Also meters drilled the fasted with no s***f ups!

SamritT, the beaches have been getting ruinded by uncontrolled and over-developement for years. Raw sewage, touts, unprofesional parasail and jetski operators.

Piengrudee, you are a racist. Farang, Farang, Farang. All we want is the oil - just like Iraq. Do not tar us all with the Bush/ Blair brush, please.

There are already wells in the area talked about here, you can not see them because they are on the sea floor.

Exploration is not only drilling. No oil company drills before it has completed a comprehensive seismic survey of an area. Last year I was working on one of these surveys - actually two, one to the north and one to the south of Samui. The one to the south was completed without incident. There was complete co-operation with the local fishermen and authorities. The one to the north was abandoned due to these fishermen causing too many problems. Why were they causing problems? Easy, the money the oil company (Thai) paid to compensate them for their lost revenue and inconvenience never filtered down from the authorities who received it. So.. A few greedy individuals have put paid to a valuable source of income for locals and Thais nationally.

Our company had to complete an environmental impact study efore we even began our survey. Interestingly, one of the questions asked by the authorities was 'how much pollution our ship's engine generated. Normally you would be hard put to see much exhaust from our stack. The ferries operating between the islands and the mainland, on the other hand, can be seen belching thick black smoke from many miles away. A case of double standards for sure.

Graft will be the death of this country not an oil spill.

• Like 1

Is there any natural gas to be recovered far from environmentally sensitive Koh Samui like in Thailand's shale deposits in Northwest Thailand with the new fracking technique?

http://geology.com/usgs/oil-shale/world-oil-shale-countries.shtml#thailand

What are you doing next Thursday, the 26th? I bet you could get the answer to your question then.

Dear Colleagues,

Dr. Christopher Schenk of the United States Geological Survey ("USGS") at 15:00 on Thursday, 26th August 2010 for a presentation on the "Assessment of Unconventional Oil and Gas Resources". Below, and attached, is the abstract of Dr. Schenk's presentations and we hope that you can join us in welcoming Dr. Schenk to AIT. (This is a different presentation from the one that Dr. Schenk will present at the SPE monthly meeting on Thursday evening.)

Assessment of Unconventional Oil and Gas Resources

Bender Auditorium, AIT, 15:00h.

....Kindly confirm your attendance by email before noon (Wednesday 25, August), please.

Best regards,

Nualchan

[email protected]

02 524 5574

Is there any natural gas to be recovered far from environmentally sensitive Koh Samui like in Thailand's shale deposits in Northwest Thailand with the new fracking technique?

http://geology.com/usgs/oil-shale/world-oil-shale-countries.shtml#thailand

What are you doing next Thursday, the 26th? I bet you could get the answer to your question then.

Dear Colleagues,

Dr. Christopher Schenk of the United States Geological Survey ("USGS") at 15:00 on Thursday, 26th August 2010 for a presentation on the "Assessment of Unconventional Oil and Gas Resources". Below, and attached, is the abstract of Dr. Schenk's presentations and we hope that you can join us in welcoming Dr. Schenk to AIT. (This is a different presentation from the one that Dr. Schenk will present at the SPE monthly meeting on Thursday evening.)

Assessment of Unconventional Oil and Gas Resources

Bender Auditorium, AIT, 15:00h.

....Kindly confirm your attendance by email before noon (Wednesday 25, August), please.

Best regards,

Nualchan

[email protected]

02 524 5574

Yes, thank-you, that sounds interesting but I am on the other side of the globe so won't be there. It sounds like they still need to do assessments to determine if the new fracking techniques are feasible to produce natural gas in the Thai shale areas.