Mobile Broadband Internet

roiethome

I live in northern Thailand, but need to be in Bangkok for about three months and am finding a temporary condo to rent.

A friend informs me that there is a "box" which uses a Sim card to connect in the same way as MBI but provides wifi for connection of laptop, iPAD etc.

Can anyone provide more details if such equipment is available in Thailand, and, if so, where it is obtainable from,

many thanks,

The least expensive one is a Huawei B932 3G Router sold by AIS for 3,690 baht. It comes with a free net sim. But I would recommend dumping their sim and getting a TOT3G sim. In Central BKK TOT3G is the fastest over the air service. The 3G Router sold by AIS will work on 900Mhz (AIS 3G in Chiang Mai) and 2100Mhz (TOT3G and variants in BKK). On Edge it is quadband but Edge is way slower than 3G. The service is almost as fast as DSL and I reliably get 2.5 to 3Mbps international download speeds. If you go to a TOT service center and have a work permit you can get a 1gb postpaid account for 199 baht per month plus vat. 1gb is more than enough if you don't download large files. I use it at work to browse the internet, check facebook, etc and never go over the 1gb allowance. Last month I only used half of it. The prepaid sims are not as good a deal. If you go to www.tot3g.net and go to the English page you can find the service being resold also by I-Mobile, Loxely, IEC and about two or three other companies. There are other people in BKK who sell the 3G routers but they are double or triple the price of the one sold by AIS. You can google on "3G router thailand" to try to find them.

Edited by jackbox

Anyone know if the Huawei E220 USB modem (as sold by Vodafone) would work in Thailand? Is local service only dependent on the sim card used or are there local network compatibility limitations with those devices?

it will work if it is unlocked for use with a SIM card other than Vodafone.