Where To Get Thai Subtitles For English Movies?

robbie22

Most foreign films are shown in the theaters here with Thai subtitles, and they are dubbed in Thai. Theaters show both, typically. When these films are released on DVD they include Thai subtitles and soundtrack (dubbed). These are official DVDs and can be found in hundreds of retail outlets. Today at a MangPong I saw just about any movie you could want, most for 99 THB (also buy 5 get 1 free, buy 9 get 2 free) and they all include Thai subtitles and soundtrack. The Thai soundtrack might be better for some Thais? I assume the Thai-centric torrent sites and the Panthip pirates purchase a legitimate copy then clone the DVD (which are not encypted) and/or rip the subs.

The websites referenced here seem to have a very limited Thai offering, and even if you find subs they may not be synched to your copy, or you may not even be able to display the font. By the time you put it all together it may be really bad, and hardly worth your time? Maybe better to get a native Thai torrent or real DVD?

Most foreign films are shown in the theaters here with Thai subtitles, and they are dubbed in Thai. Theaters show both, typically. When these films are released on DVD they include Thai subtitles and soundtrack (dubbed). These are official DVDs and can be found in hundreds of retail outlets. Today at a MangPong I saw just about any movie you could want, most for 99 THB (also buy 5 get 1 free, buy 9 get 2 free) and they all include Thai subtitles and soundtrack. The Thai soundtrack might be better for some Thais? I assume the Thai-centric torrent sites and the Panthip pirates purchase a legitimate copy then clone the DVD (which are not encypted) and/or rip the subs.

The websites referenced here seem to have a very limited Thai offering, and even if you find subs they may not be synched to your copy, or you may not even be able to display the font. By the time you put it all together it may be really bad, and hardly worth your time? Maybe better to get a native Thai torrent or real DVD?

Or Pantip.:whistling:

There are a ton of Thai torrent websites, they all have foreign movies, usually with either Thai subs or soundtrack (dubbed). You may need an invite, and you'll need to maintain a healthy ratio. Have a Thai person, who can use the Internet (Google in Thai), help you out.

• 9 years later...

If you need help to use these local Thai subtitles on Kodi feel free to PM me. I have managed to resolve all the issues so they work correctly for me and I am happy to share this with you.

Edited by Muzzique

If you cant find the Thai subtitles for the film you want then you can translate English ones which you have downloaded, directly into Thai. They are a mechanical translation using translation engines like Google but they are pretty accurate. You have an option to edit the translated subtitles if you want but unless you speak Thai it probably a waste of time. There are 4 translation engines you can pick from.

https://www.syedgakbar.com/projects/dst

Drag and drop the downloaded English SRT file for your film or upload it.  Set the output language as Thai. You must make sure you scroll through the whole document to the end as it only translates the text that passes through the view screen. Once you get to the end simply save the file and it is downloaded to the PC as a Thai SRT subtitle file ready for you to load into your player. Make sure you use a font in your player that supports Thai characters, Anantason, Notosans or ArialUnicode will work. Otherwise you get square blocks instead of the words. I've uploaded regular font versions of them here.

It also works the other way so if you want to translate any foreign language subtitles into English (or any other language supported by one of the translation engines) you can do it there too. Just upload the foreign language subtitle file and then set the output to your language of choice. Ideal for watching World Cinema films.

Anantason-Regular.ttf arial-unicode-ms.ttf NotoSans-Regular.ttf

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just download this plugin if you want to host them locally and use them in Kodi

https://github.com/peno64/service.subtitles.localsubtitle

Just go down to the repository link and upload the repository zip file.

If you're using a Firestick then connect to it from a PC via FTP and then drop them into a subtitles folder of your own choice under the Android file structure. Use the Local Subtitle plugin to browse to them.

Edited by Muzzique

There are many Thai sites that offer free viewing of films and TV series.
They - the film or serial episodes - cannot be downloaded.
Most offer a choice to look for Thai dubbed or English with Thai subs.
There are ads at the beginning but stop once film is being viewed.
There is always MoNo29live to watch a film in real time.

• 1 year later...