2010 Ninja 650 Headlight Relay?

noahvail

I've been scouring the net, looking to see if the 2010 Ninja 650 has a headlight relay. Can't tell from looking if there's one in box.

Just because I couldn't find it on the net doesn't mean there isn't one, of course. So I figured best to ask here.

Cheers

any particular reason why you want this information, do you own one of these machines, tell us more and perhaps we can help further

Yes. I've owned it for 11 months, don't like the amount of light produced by the stock H7s, don't want to go to HiD, if there is no relay from the manufacturer then adding a relay can add to the amount of light produced without changing bulbs.

But the question is simple. Is there a stock headlight relay in that machine? If yes, no point in adding one; if no, I'll have one put in.

any particular reason why you want this information, do you own one of these machines, tell us more and perhaps we can help further

Yes. I've owned it for 11 months, don't like the amount of light produced by the stock H7s, don't want to go to HiD, if there is no relay from the manufacturer then adding a relay can add to the amount of light produced without changing bulbs.

But the question is simple. Is there a stock headlight relay in that machine? If yes, no point in adding one; if no, I'll have one put in.

I doubt there is a relay since distance from battery to light through switch is very short.

Requirement for new bikes and vehicles by both CE and DOT is 12,75 Volt on lightbulb when engine running (charging). Even if there is a relay, stock wires on all new vehicles are fare to thin to provide bright light. Making a new main supply from battery with 2,5mm2 wires and using existing light wires to control relay, will provide you with 13,8-14,4 volt on light bulb. Thats approx 50% more light without replacing bulb

but, HID are now only 3k baht and manage with stock wires/supply, so why not?

I doubt there is a relay since distance from battery to light through switch is very short.

Requirement for new bikes and vehicles by both CE and DOT is 12,75 Volt on lightbulb when engine running (charging). Even if there is a relay, stock wires on all new vehicles are fare to thin to provide bright light. Making a new main supply from battery with 2,5mm2 wires and using existing light wires to control relay, will provide you with 13,8-14,4 volt on light bulb. Thats approx 50% more light without replacing bulb

but, HID are now only 3k baht and manage with stock wires/supply, so why not?

Thanks very much for the info, Kata. Makes sense to go from the mains.

As for HID, I tried them, and just don't like the light. Personal preference, I guess.

Cheers

I have HID on mine both low and high beam and they are simply brilliant, on full beam at night it is better than any car I have owned and the distance that light illuminates ahead is staggering, as for adding relays and heavier wires - total waste of time if you ask me unless the bike is old in that case it might be worth doing as the wires degrade and build up resistance over time especially high current stuff like lights, but each to their own :)

I run my HIDS without relays but this can cause problems on an Injected system especially with stuff like Knock sensor signals so I'll be fitting relays soon

Edited by smedly

as for adding relays and heavier wires - total waste of time if you ask me unless the bike is old in that case it might be worth doing as the wires degrade and build up resistance over time especially high current stuff like lights, but each to their own :)

I see upgrading from manufactorers 0,75mm2 aluminum wires to 2,5mm2 copper directly from main and controlled by relay a huge improvement on any new car/truck or bike not fitted with HID/Xenon.

Voltage on lightbulb goes from 12,75 Volt to 13,8-14,5 Volt

We have measured such improvement in 2x 7' headlights to increase LUX with 50%, from approx 100 LUX to 200 LUX, which again is 50% of max legal 400 LUX in europe.

Edited by katabeachbum