Citylife Magazine

lingnoi1977

There is a new wine column in the Citylife Magazine. Talks about all sorts of stuff including where to buy certain wines at good prices.

I bought some wine from one of the places recommended and was very happy with the price and quality.

Even happier at the end of the bottle...B)

Awesome!! I started a topic about wine tasting recently at a major local outlet, but nobody really responded or cared. :(

I guess we have more of a Sang Som & Chang crowd than a wine crowd. But that's okay. ;)

I contacted Citylife and they said there will be some wine events later in the year. Maybe a wine tasting or three...!

Awesome!! I started a topic about wine tasting recently at a major local outlet, but nobody really responded or cared. :(

I guess we have more of a Sang Som & Chang crowd than a wine crowd. But that's okay. ;)

Well, at least us lowly Chang drinkers just ignored the post, rather than insult you about it. ;)

• Like 1

Possibly true, or perhaps my feelings may be shared by others, I know something about wine, really enjoy it, and until moving to LOS indulged regularly. The rediculous tax situation means that a $6. bottle of South Aussie red goes for $20. The decent stuff is just too expensive for my budget. This is truly sad as the global wine glut has brought the prices down on some very deliciouse wines from around the world, unfortunately I am not in the financial situation to indulge this govt. tax scam. Many of my friends have expressed the same opinion. When we travel we drink wine, not so much here.

Yes, it's pretty sad the prices of wine in thailand. I recall when barnharn was prime minister a range of products had tax increased on them, and wine was one of them. Unfortunately it would seem that the already outrageously rich ceos of thai liquor companies have an influence on this.

Of course, what it means is that we are faced with drinking chemical-riddled thai brewed beers or hard liquors.

The fact that if wine had import duties dropped to a fair amount the dent to thai liquor companies' profits would be minimal just makes the sad situation all the more unpalatable.

Very very poor form, and anti-choice for those of us who like to drink wine with our meals.

Think there was supposed to be a free trade agreement that would have drastically lowered the duty on Aust. wine earlier this year. :burp:

When it came close to the effective date, the Th politicos began discussing the adverse impact on the home liquor industry, that lower prices might encourage more irresponsible drinking and even encourage youngsters to drink wine. Haven't heard anything about it in recent weeks so suspect it might be in limbo until everyone forgets about it. :realangry:

I have never known any teenagers who had much interest in wine after their first sip. :drunk:

Yeah, that's the problem with politicians, all they do is get in the way of our life. Cause nothing but trouble. If we have 'free trade' then it should be free, and therefore no duties. But then they stick their oars in, and we all suffer. Bastards!

Possibly true, or perhaps my feelings may be shared by others, I know something about wine, really enjoy it, and until moving to LOS indulged regularly. The rediculous tax situation means that a $6. bottle of South Aussie red goes for $20. The decent stuff is just too expensive for my budget. This is truly sad as the global wine glut has brought the prices down on some very deliciouse wines from around the world, unfortunately I am not in the financial situation to indulge this govt. tax scam. Many of my friends have expressed the same opinion. When we travel we drink wine, not so much here.

Totally agree with you, I'd drink a lot more wine if the prices matched the quality.

I'm not a sansom or Chang drinker though, Leo tends to be my tipple :D

Think there was supposed to be a free trade agreement that would have drastically lowered the duty on Aust. wine earlier this year. :burp:

When it came close to the effective date, the Th politicos began discussing the adverse impact on the home liquor industry, that lower prices might encourage more irresponsible drinking and even encourage youngsters to drink wine. Haven't heard anything about it in recent weeks so suspect it might be in limbo until everyone forgets about it.

The ASEAN free trade agreement that was to come into affect at the beginning of the year?

Didn't know Australia is in ASEAN. Is it?

Edited by thomo

Well, at least us lowly Chang drinkers just ignored the post, rather than insult you about it. ;)

Yeah. I must be losing my touch. :(

• Like 1

A few points of clarification:

The FTA between Thailand and Australia is handy for those importing Thai products to Oz.

Australian wine has been tabled as one of the many products facing a possible scaled down tax reduction to 0% by 2015.

Once the booze reaches Thai customs, there is still a multi tier tax system in place. The above FTA tax reduction would have a small impact on the price of wine here.

It is true what some say about the power of the spirit and beer companies. Many countries the world over with the exception of few, have powerful alcohol lobbies. In the early 80's Australian domestic wine tax for example was just a few %. By the early 90's it quadrupled and by the late 90's it had doubled again. When GST was introduced, the tax became almost 42%.

My point is, the wine industry did too little too late and the beer/spirit companies and the Hotels Association drove the knife in as deep as possible.

There are some retailers about selling perfectly acceptable wines at around the 500-600 baht level. Most of the decent wines around this level are European, and some Chilean. The best selections are found at the smaller, independent retailers - par for the course in most parts of the world. I understand Citylife will write about such wines in September issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that's the problem with politicians, all they do is get in the way of our life. Cause nothing but trouble. If we have 'free trade' then it should be free, and therefore no duties. But then they stick their oars in, and we all suffer. Bastards!

I wonder whether the CityLife wine column will also turn into a whine column?

If you ever gander at the CITY NOW pictures you realize that drinking wine is considered

the most important aspect of life here. CITY LIFE running a wine column is providing

the most important information available for the fifty or so faces that turn up at every

wine tasting that take place here. Would they spend the time and magazine space covering

something that might matter to everyone who doesn't go to every wine tasting it might

make for a more interesting read. But then again if you don't cover all the wine tasting events then maybe you won't get all the free wine.

As a note to all the wine drinkers a recent statement that came from one of the top French

wine experts was most intriguing. Speaking against the practice of creating rose wines by

merely mixing red and white wines (an internationally accepted practice evidently) he said

that since you can create the taste of any wine merely by mixing water, alcohol, coloring and flavourings then why bother growing grapes in the first place? Sure this is being done already someplace-look for "ersatz brand wine" in your local market. It should be cheaper as

they probably won't be hosting any wine tastings.

As a note to all the wine drinkers a recent statement that came from one of the top French

wine experts was most intriguing. Speaking against the practice of creating rose wines by

merely mixing red and white wines (an internationally accepted practice evidently)

Really?

As an ex-manager of an off-license I was sent on all sorts of educational wine courses and we were taught it was because the skins were left on for a bit longer.

A little research would give you the current state of affairs as quote from a Provence Wine Website:

The answer - label real rosé as "traditional": "when news of the decision began to circulate, pink grapes of wrath fermented in Provence and Anjou. "Real" rosé wines could be marketed under a new label: "traditional rosé". Blended or "fake", rose wines would have to be labelled "rosé coupé" or "rosé de coupage." But, claim producers, "it should not be for us to have to rename our wine. If the others want to label their bottles 'rosé made from jumbling up red and white', that's fine."

If you ever gander at the CITY NOW pictures you realize that drinking wine is considered

the most important aspect of life here. CITY LIFE running a wine column is providing

the most important information available for the fifty or so faces that turn up at every

wine tasting that take place here. Would they spend the time and magazine space covering

something that might matter to everyone who doesn't go to every wine tasting it might

make for a more interesting read. But then again if you don't cover all the wine tasting events then maybe you won't get all the free wine.

Sounds like L&J has a bit of a gripe here and there. Interesting post and a subjective view about Citylife and Wine tastings that I won't argue with. But here is my 10 baht worth.

As I understand it Citylife has loads of information for locals and tourists alike. It also has much to do with art and culture. Wine is a cultural science aswell as an alcoholic beverage. Wine is surrounded by a level of sophistication with which those in the industry try to educate others in a personable manner. Wine is very much the other half in the gastronomic marriage.

merely mixing red and white wines (an internationally accepted practice evidently) he said

that since you can create the taste of any wine merely by mixing water, alcohol, coloring and flavourings then why bother growing grapes in the first place? Sure this is being done already someplace-look for "ersatz brand wine" in your local market. It should be cheaper as

This part of the post sounds very learned.

Who is this "top French wine expert" and do we assume from your post that you think France still holds authority in the wine world? The French like to think so. If this "expert" is speaking of table wine then I can tell you that wine IS made from grapes and IS fermented with yeast to make alcohol. Without these steps, it is not wine. Without good grapes one does not make good wine. There are always cowboys in every industry who will endeavour to make a similar product via shortcuts.

"Rose" is just one of hundreds of wine styles. 85-90% of rose is made from black grapes (Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Shiraz etc etc) which gives a red colour to the wine once the skins are left in contact with the must (unfermented liquid) , or pressed back into the wine at some stage. The incidences of adding red wine to the mix (Champagne, FRANCE for instance) to add colour and texture is quite common. And yes there are some producers who throw bulk blends together in a glut situation. Most of them add white wine to red to fill the volume - this is common. Here you may find a concoction of finished red wine and finished white wine thrown together. Most countries allow a % difference when it comes to label integrity - i.e. you the consumer will know 85-90% of the region, grape variety and vintage (year) in the bottle. Each region in each part of the world has their own governing standards.

Finally, you can always detect a wine that has had red wine added to white to make a "rose". Firstly the colour differs from a traditional rose and the palate structure is completely different. Secondly, red wine has a tannin level undesirable in a "rose" or white wine blend.

A little research would give you the current state of affairs as quote from a Provence Wine Website:

The answer - label real rosé as "traditional": "when news of the decision began to circulate, pink grapes of wrath fermented in Provence and Anjou. "Real" rosé wines could be marketed under a new label: "traditional rosé". Blended or "fake", rose wines would have to be labelled "rosé coupé" or "rosé de coupage." But, claim producers, "it should not be for us to have to rename our wine. If the others want to label their bottles 'rosé made from jumbling up red and white', that's fine."

This is old news. The French and other European nations have laid claim to their regional names and rightly so. We can not call sparkling wine Champagne, pinot noir Burgundy, Cabernet blends Bordeaux etc etc. The Europeans feel a need to protect their place names.

A little more research would tell you that it's not about the method to produce the style - it's about preserving the name origin and protecting the marketing rights and sales that come with the territory.

You can make a "rose" style wine from the same grapes exactly the same way in a different country but it is not "rose".

First, let me indicate that I appreciate City Life a great deal, some issues much more yet.

However, I believe that L&J has a valid point, somewhere, but has not presented the best remedy. If you survey (however briefly) the advertisers in City Life, you see that they are by and large aiming to sell fairly expensive items to our community. Many (more than 50!) among their target population may well feel that a wine is worth spending hours finding and matching to certain meals, or days, months or years. I've known French couples who count such inquiries as being worth a significant part of the good life.

But Chiang Mai is missing a monthly English language sports magazine. Obviously, a City Life Sports Magazine could make the greatest amount of money by producing articles about televised sports or local football, as the audience for observer sports is so much greater than that for activities. I believe that such a publication would attract scores of advertisers for fatty hamburgers, sausages (hot dogs) of richly varied contents, ground pre-frozen breaded fish – many would debate actively whose breaded ground previously frozen fish was better with which kind manufactured previously frozen chips. Beer advertisers alone would assure a profit. It would be hot!

The greatest draw, however, would be the beer column. The writer would be unimportant, because by changing preferences each month, he, or she, would draw incredible counter argument from those same beer enthusiasts who adore sports on TV. After some years of shouting beer brand names at each other, readers would doubtless welcome a shift to another subject – which is the best third pint? This scheme could be extended over time, of course, for the true, surviving, aficionados of beer in later years.

But these advertisers cannot afford to pay a great deal. Therefore, the publication would have to be sold, probably for 100 baht or so, later on in the evenings, in bars and pubs everywhere that cater to English speaking beer lovers. Thus could this large segment of our numbers, knowledgeable all, be served.

{I should by way of honesty admit that I come from a nation of beer lovers, the U.S. There, Budworster (a kind of robot urine, IMAO), and many "light" beers (baby-robot urine) rule.}

Edited by CMX

But Chiang Mai is missing a monthly English language sports magazine. Obviously, a City Life Sports Magazine could make the greatest amount of money by producing articles about televised sports or local football, as the audience for observer sports is so much greater than that for activities. I believe that such a publication would attract scores of advertisers for fatty hamburgers, sausages (hot dogs) of richly varied contents, ground pre-frozen breaded fish – many would debate actively whose breaded ground previously frozen fish was better with which kind manufactured previously frozen chips. Beer advertisers alone would assure a profit. It would be hot!

I did this 4 years ago - a weekly sports round up from every sport around the world, every sport with it's own section, all tables and results, and reviews, as well as a few The Sun style gossip pages of the latest big brother news etc. and it didn't get passed 2 issues due to the advertizers not willing to pay 500b for a full page (1/2 A4). Was delivered free to all the Guest Houses and bars etc. around the old city centre every Sunday or Monday.

Edited by thomo

First, let me indicate that I appreciate City Life a great deal, some issues much more yet.

However, I believe that L&J has a valid point, somewhere, but has not presented the best remedy. If you survey (however briefly) the advertisers in City Life, you see that they are by and large aiming to sell fairly expensive items to our community. Many (more than 50!) among their target population may well feel that a wine is worth spending hours finding and matching to certain meals, or days, months or years. I've known French couples who count such inquiries as being worth a significant part of the good life.

The greatest draw, however, would be the beer column. The writer would be unimportant, because by changing preferences each month, he, or she, would draw incredible counter argument from those same beer enthusiasts who adore sports on TV. After some years of shouting beer brand names at each other, readers would doubtless welcome a shift to another subject – which is the best third pint? This scheme could be extended over time, of course, for the true, surviving, aficionados of beer in later years.

But these advertisers cannot afford to pay a great deal. Therefore, the publication would have to be sold, probably for 100 baht or so, later on in the evenings, in bars and pubs everywhere that cater to English speaking beer lovers. Thus could this large segment of our numbers, knowledgeable all, be served.

{I should by way of honesty admit that I come from a nation of beer lovers, the U.S. There, Budworster (a kind of robot urine, IMAO), and many "light" beers (baby-robot urine) rule.}

Valid points CMX - and you did not have to quote an expert on it...:unsure:

There is a certain top end, even clicky appeal to Citylife and associations. A bit of a club it seems. A broader appeal would not hurt.

I thought a regular coffee column could be worthwhile also.

But wait...there is bound to a backlash from freeze-dried, instant drinkers don't you think?

I did this 4 years ago - a weekly sports round up from every sport around the world, every sport with it's own section, all tables and results, and reviews, as well as a few The Sun style gossip pages of the latest big brother news etc. and it didn't get passed 2 issues due to the advertizers not willing to pay 500b for a full page (1/2 A4). Was delivered free to all the Guest Houses and bars etc. around the old city centre every Sunday or Monday.

Unfortuantly with the arrival of the internet printed publications have taken a battering which is irreversible. The highest circulation ,English newpaper in Thailand, the Bangkok Post, classified section is now down to just a few pages. A couple of years back it was at least 24 pages. This is due partly to the economy but mainly to the internet which has changed habits.Us old farts still like the written word on newsprint, in our hands, but we are a dying breed !

Hi all, I came accross this post and just felt that it was really something I had to respond to. While I appreciate all comments, feedbacks and opnions, I really do take offense to one statement above...that I receive free wine. I am not going to go into where you got this information from - as it is patently obvious it is speculative - but I do think that it is unfair and rather slanderous. If you notice, we don't even have ONE wine company advertising with us, so we are doing this wine column and our wine events simply to supply information to the many many readers, mainly Thai actually, who have shown that they are interested in drinking wine, would like to know more about it, want to find good quality inexpensive products and wish to join events of interest to them...

Now, back onto the free wine comment. Ask Wine Gallery, Wine Connection and ItalAsia if I have ever received a free bottle of wine from them (apart from the one bottle on my birthday I get every year for being a good CUSTOMER). If you are not interested in wine, or can't afford it, it is rather unfair to have such a chip on your shoulder as to say such rediculous things! The fact is that many readers of the magazine like wine. Skip to other pages if you are not interested in it. Our readership is so varied that we try to address all needs...sports, retirement, community services, humour and wine...Not everything is for everyone, but just because you are not interested, don't assume that others are not. They are! That having been said, many great comments, and thank you all. As to a sports magazine, I am afraid that I am not really equipped to do that at this point and James struggles enough filling one page on sports each month, I am not sure we can find enough spoting info on CM to fill a mag every month. Thanks again. Pim

that since you can create the taste of any wine merely by mixing water,alcohol , coloring and flavourings then why bother growing grapes in the first place? Sure this is being done already someplace-look for "ersatz brand wine" in your local market. It should be cheaper as

Hi all, I came accross this post and just felt that it was really something I had to respond to. While I appreciate all comments, feedbacks and opnions, I really do take offense to one statement above...that I receive free wine. I am not going to go into where you got this information from - as it is patently obvious it is speculative - but I do think that it is unfair and rather slanderous. If you notice, we don't even have ONE wine company advertising with us, so we are doing this wine column and our wine events simply to supply information to the many many readers, mainly Thai actually, who have shown that they are interested in drinking wine, would like to know more about it, want to find good quality inexpensive products and wish to join events of interest to them...

Now, back onto the free wine comment. Ask Wine Gallery, Wine Connection and ItalAsia if I have ever received a free bottle of wine from them (apart from the one bottle on my birthday I get every year for being a good CUSTOMER). If you are not interested in wine, or can't afford it, it is rather unfair to have such a chip on your shoulder as to say such rediculous things! The fact is that many readers of the magazine like wine. Skip to other pages if you are not interested in it. Our readership is so varied that we try to address all needs...sports, retirement, community services, humour and wine...Not everything is for everyone, but just because you are not interested, don't assume that others are not. They are! That having been said, many great comments, and thank you all. As to a sports magazine, I am afraid that I am not really equipped to do that at this point and James struggles enough filling one page on sports each month, I am not sure we can find enough spoting info on CM to fill a mag every month. Thanks again. Pim

Well said Pim,

I didn't think much of that post when I read it, seems many posters on TV post only negative comments. I am not sure what the comment by the alleged wine expert was supposed to prove.

I can say in my non expert view, most wine lovers are not Rose lovers, principally because the accepted method of production is by pressing ripe, red grapes but leaving the juice in contact with the skins for just a short while so that the wines just acquire a pink blush. This does little to give the wine any worthwile character.The comment about, creating the taste of wine by mixing water,alcohol and flavourings was odd, the same could be said about beer or spirits, but it doesn't mean that anyone would actually want to drink them.

Edited by basinboy