Australian Prospective Patner Visa And Tourist Visa At The Same Time?

Hi, My Thai GF of 6 months will have to return home soon, at the end of her first 3 month tourist visa.

I want to apply for the prospective partner visa, and hope she can take most of the paper work back with her.

I'm told it can take up to 6 months (probably 4) for this visa to be granted.

So while waiting, we would like her to have a 6 month tourist visa.

At DIAC one person said best apply after lodging PP visa.

needing good reason for returning to Thailand, she must be there to receive the result of the PP Visa,

Would they see it this way in BKK?

would it be best to apply for a 3, 6 or 12 month visa?

and which one to lodge first?

thank you for any help you can suggest,

Davoz

I

You would, or should I say her, would lodge the prospective marriage visa first. Processing is around 3 months +/-. Remember she will have to be offshore when the visa is granted, and will be required to attend an interview in BKK at some stage during processing.

Bridge

I would get your advise of Bridge he knows what he is doing.My wife has just had her spouse visa approved but must be off shore from Australia to have it granted.After we lodged the spouse application she got a 6 month tourist visa.But it did not have the condition "NO FURTHER STAY" on it ,which would make it possible to do everything in Australia.But because it was lodged there in Thailand she has to be off shore.If you do try the tourist visa first and that condition "NO FURTHER STAY" is not on the tourist visa.Then you can apply for all other visas in Australia.

When we put in for the spouse visa we logded the application in person. The interview was there and then and I was available to discuss any queryies. We asked about a tourist visa in the intrim and said we could apply but needed to be back in thailand before a decision was handed out. They did offer to let us know when that would be so we could return. We never needed to get the tourist visa as 3 days latter they called and said the spouse visa was approved. (I think it has a lot to do with the what was in the application and both being there together)

• 2 months later...

You would, or should I say her, would lodge the prospective marriage visa first. Processing is around 3 months +/-. Remember she will have to be offshore when the visa is granted, and will be required to attend an interview in BKK at some stage during processing.

Bridge

What if she was actually in Oz at the time, could she hop on a plane and go back to pick it up? Or would they say you were not offshore at the time of grant so we cancel it?

Cheers

Bridge

What if she was actually in Oz at the time, could she hop on a plane and go back to pick it up? Or would they say you were not offshore at the time of grant so we cancel it?

Cheers

Good question.

Visa can only be granted whilst the applicant is offshore (not in Oz), so the applicant would need to keep in regular contact with their case officer during the processing of their application, who would then advise the applicant that they are about to make a determination on their application. Applicant should then return so that visa can be granted whilst they are offshore.

DIAC are pretty fair. As long as you let them know of any travel plans etc and your current address during any processing times, which is also a requirement under the Migration Regulations.

Bridge

I got to say that 3 days for a spouse visa would be a record.Or the embassy just had nothing to do at all.Thats great 3 days.Never seen that fast before.

3 Days? One can not get a visitors visa 676 approved in that time. And a spouse visa 309/100, from initial date of DIAC receiving the documentation, processing of the application, then the issuing of the visa? In 3 days?

Perhaps this was referring to the second stage of processing for the permanent resident visa (spouse) 100 and there were compelling circumstances that were taken into consideration, thus the very short time frame.

I got to say that 3 days for a spouse visa would be a record.Or the embassy just had nothing to do at all.Thats great 3 days.Never seen that fast before.

3 Days? One can not get a visitors visa 676 approved in that time. And a spouse visa 309/100, from initial date of DIAC receiving the documentation, processing of the application, then the issuing of the visa? In 3 days?

Perhaps this was referring to the second stage of processing for the permanent resident visa (spouse) 100 and there were compelling circumstances that were taken into consideration, thus the very short time frame.