Supreme Court Rejects Thaksin's Asset Seizure Appeal

webfact

THAKSIN'S ASSETS

Supreme Court rejcts Thaksin's appeal

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court Wednesday decided against launching an appellate review on the Bt46 billion asset seizure case involving fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his family members.

The Court judges convene a full bench and voted to reject the appeal.

The Court will convene on Wednesday 11 to vote on whether it should launch an appellate review into the judicial decision to seize Bt46 billion worth of assets owned by ex-PM Thaksin and his family members.

In February, the special graft court ruled in favour of confiscating Thaksin's ill-gotten gains and though the verdict was considered final, based on a one-tier review by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders, the judicial procedure allows for an appeal in the face of fresh evidence.

The defence submitted appellate arguments in March, meeting the 30-day deadline.

The high court appointed a five-member panel, led by Supreme Court vice president Pirapol Pichayawat, to vet the defence arguments. The vetting process is completed and the report submitted to Supreme Court president Sobchok Sukharom.

In the report, which is considered classified, the panel members have reportedly noted that the defence brought up arguments that were not part of the judicial inquiry leading to the asset seizure.

The high court debated and voted to determine if the defence arguments will constitute fresh evidence warranting appellate review. Should the appellate review be launched, the Supreme Court's bench of judges would be responsible for reviewing and deciding the outcome.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-11

Wonder when the next planned violent uprising to get the money back is planned? The last time we had a decision like this we had the little April and May incidents

Does the "bombshell" that Chavalit will be the next PM qualify?

Hi Guys my first post here. I seem to remember that Thaksin made 65 billion baht out of the sale of Shin Corp. Tax free of course, after misusing his position to change the law to enable the sale. Oh, sorry, he didn't own Shincorp . . . . . his Family did !

So I would say to Mr T, if you knock off the 25 bill. tax and the cost of the demonstrations, why don't you just call it quits and ask instead what is best for Thailand ?

Oh well I always was a dreamer . . . . . . .

Thai Supreme Court rejects Thaksin's asset appeal

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected an appeal by fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family against the seizure of 1.4 billion dollars of their assets.

Thaksin, who was stripped of more than half his fortune in February for abuse of power, did not provide any new evidence to support his case, the court found after almost two hours of deliberation by no fewer than 119 judges.

"The legal process is over. There is nothing we can do," said Thaksin's lawyer, Chatthip Tantaprasart.

Thai courts have issued a series of warrants for Thaksin for charges including terrorism -- an accusation linked to violent street protests in April and May by his supporters within the anti-government "Red Shirt" movement.

The former telecoms tycoon was ousted in a bloodless military coup in 2006 and lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a prison jail imposed in absentia for corruption.

The decision in February to confiscate 60 percent of Thaksin's 2.3 billion dollars of frozen assets angered his red-shirted supporters, who staged two months of opposition rallies in the heart of Bangkok from mid-March.

The protests descended into several bouts of bloodshed that left at least 90 people dead and some 1,900 injured in a series of clashes between armed troops and demonstrators.

The Red Shirts, largely from Thailand's impoverished north and northeast, love Thaksin for his populist policies, and accuse the current government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva of being an unelected elite.

The tycoon's opponents in the Bangkok-based circles around the palace, military and bureaucracy accuse Thaksin of being corrupt, dictatorial and a threat to Thailand's widely revered monarchy.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-11

Wonder when the next planned violent uprising to get the money back is planned? The last time we had a decision like this we had the little April and May incidents

Last time, before the verdict he said he would accept the court's decision. Almost immediately after the verdict he then said he wouldn't accept it.

This time he's remained silent, so far.... :unsure:

Not really, that's more just a hemorrhoid on the punch line of life.

119 Supreme Court judges voted on whether to accept the appeal request.

The vote was 103 against to 4, with 12 abstentions.

I guess no rally or demonstration planned, since Thaksin’s family are still in Thailand. Can someone find out if they have a scheduled business outside of Thailand:rolleyes:

Till now K. Chavalit has only been put forward as next PM by the PT as told by spokesman K. Prompong. Only 78 and still going strong, although in 1997 there were some doubts about his mental health (and irregularities around the Thai Baht devaluation). He resigned in Oct'. 2008 as DPM under K. Somchai taking responsibility for the violent crackdown on protesters by police. In February this year named as Supreme Commander of the 'people's army' by K. Thaksin. What an interesting PM K. Chavalit would be ;)

Edited by rubl

Gosh! I'm really depressed that "Takki" has had to bite the bullet......when is the govt going to go after the rest? He should be left with whatever he managed to steal while a BIB and tass all! I still think the 60 cents would be well spent!

PAD 'government' needs money for new army divisions, to pay the salaries of CRES, and other welfare projects for the next 1000 years, not to mention matching funds for Savings accounts and other programs copied from Thaksin in hopes of buying support of the poor...they can't raise taxes or expropriate property from you-know-who, so they have got to get all that money from somewhere.

PAD 'government' needs money for new army divisions, to pay the salaries of CRES, and other welfare projects for the next 1000 years, not to mention matching funds for Savings accounts and other programs copied from Thaksin in hopes of buying support of the poor...they can't raise taxes or expropriate property from you-know-who, so they have got to get all that money from somewhere.

Since Thaksin took it from the people of Thailand, it's only fair that the current government give it back.

he was always going to appeal,but he was not going to get his money back.he cheated the country, the government was never going too give in.he still has plenty and is still on the run.we all really feel sorry for him he never served his sentence.get him back and let him serve his sentence

"the special graft court" ha ha ha yeah right !!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how they and their jealous friends will divide it amongst themselves. He floated the company on the stock market nimrod, he didn't have to pay taxes. As usual, the eggheads didn't act fast enough therefore enabling the company in Singapore to buy it all. Look it up.

[nosize=3][nobold]

"the special graft court" ha ha ha yeah right !!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how they and their jealous friends will divide it amongst themselves. He floated the company on the stock market nimrod, he didn't have to pay taxes. [/nobold][/nosize] As usual, the eggheads didn't act fast enough therefore enabling the company in Singapore to buy it all. Look it up.

K. Thaksin seems to have used a loophole in Thai law in order to avoid paying taxes. It's not clear (to me) whether it was really him, his proxies, his children or his 'Amply Rich' offshore company. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter much. As Prime Minister he should be an example to all and a GOOD, HONEST, LAW-ABIDING example at that. He started his PM-ship with an NCCC case which ending in a very controversial 'not guilty, really he made an honest mistake'.

As for the confiscated 46+ BBaht, it will be dumped in the treasury and probably be used to reduce the overall budget shortfall.

Edited by rubl

[nosize=3][nobold]

"the special graft court" ha ha ha yeah right !!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how they and their jealous friends will divide it amongst themselves. He floated the company on the stock market nimrod, he didn't have to pay taxes. [/nobold][/nosize] As usual, the eggheads didn't act fast enough therefore enabling the company in Singapore to buy it all. Look it up.

K. Thaksin seems to have used a loophole in Thai law in order to avoid paying taxes. It's not clear (to me) whether it was really him, his proxies, his children or his 'Amply Rich' offshore company. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter much. As Prime Minister he should be an example to all and a GOOD, HONEST, LAW-ABIDING example at that. He started his PM-ship with an NCCC case which ending in a very controversial 'not guilty, really he made an honest mistake'.

As for the confiscated 46+ BBaht, it will be dumped in the treasury and probably be used to reduce the overall budget shortfall.

Right on. He should have plug the hole and not using it himself. If he paid the tax and amend the law, he would still be prime minister today. It just plain wrong to gain that much money without paying tax.

Probably similar to top US executives taking large sum of bonuses while their companies are asking for governments' bailout. Not against the law but just plain wrong.

Edited by anchan42

[nosize=3][nobold]

Right on. He should have plug the hole and not using it himself. If he paid the tax and amend the law, he would still be prime minister today. It just plain wrong to gain that much money without paying tax.

Spot on!

Probably similar to top US executives taking large sum of bonuses while their companies are asking for governments' bailout. Not against the law but just plain wrong.

Almost there!