Immigration Warning Over 90-day Reporting

Immigration warning over 90-day reporting

PHUKET TOWN: An Immigration official has advised foreigners holding all types of one-year visa extensions that they must visit their local Immigration office every 90 days to confirm their identity and address – or face a 2,000 baht fine.

“You will not be charged a fee for registering but you will be fined if you are late,” Capt Krissarat Nusen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO) told the Gazette. “Look at the date stamped on the back of your arrival/departure card; you must come in [to the PPIO] within 90 days of that date or face the fine,” he continued. “This applies to all one-year visa extension holders without exception.”

He explained that this is not a new measure but a more stringent application of existing rules following the capture in Ayudhya in August of alleged Jamaah Islamiyah terrorist Hambali, widely believed to have been Al-Qaeda’s leader in Southeast Asia.

On the white TM6 arrival/departure card completed by all entrants to Thailand, and stapled into their passports, it is stated, “Must notify your place of residence to the Immigration office if you stay longer than ninety days and are required to do so every ninety days.”

Capt Krissarat explained that Immigration will begin levying fines from the end of November but that foreigners will have a seven-day “grace period” beyond the 90 days, during which no fine will be imposed. After that, the fine will be 2,000 baht, whether a person is eight days or 90 days late.

On a related subject, he also pointed out that all foreigners staying in Thailand beyond the date stamped in their passports must extend their visas, even if their circumstances make this difficult.

“This applies to all people, including those in hospital or recuperating at home,” he explained. “You should ask your doctor for a written statement about your ill-health, giving reasons why you are unable to travel. You or a representative should then contact [the PPIO] for assistance.”

Even those facing criminal court cases and barred from leaving the country must extend their visas, Capt Krissarat added, or face eventual fines and possible expulsion for overstaying.

The fee for a visa extension, whether for 30 days, 90 days or one year, is 1,900 baht.

Source: Phuket Gazette

Recently I went into the Chiang Mai Immigration Office to get a residency certificate for my drivers license. They carefully inspected my visa stamps and then INVITED me into the 'bosses' office followed by 3 other immigration officers.

The boss stated "You must report every 90 days!" and gave me a look like "You're in trouble now boy!". I told them I had been reporting (1yr in Thailand) and took the receipt from my last visit out of my wallet and showed them. Usually they staple this in my passport but it had come detached.

All was well, a few smiles were exchanged, and I was given my certificate. Usually they are quite friendly at the Chiang Mai office but it was clear that if I had not been following the 90 day rules I was going to have a bad day.

The news article notes that Immigration will begin enforcing the reporting requirement commencing the end of November in Phuket, but they have been enforcing the requirment for more than a year in Bangkok.

Just a clarification to the rule, and a misunderstaning that got me:

Reporting to immigration to extend or renew your visa does NOT satisfy the 90 day address reporting requirment. I thought it did, and waited until about 85 days following the renewal or my visa and work permit (that had been about 100 days since my last trip out of the country). I argued that since I had renewed my visa, I had reported my to immigration with my address within the past 90 days, but I was told "that doesn't count". They were unyielding, not willing to let me go with a warning due to the vagueness of the requirement, and I was led over to the penalty section to pay my 2000 baht. I was also told I was "lucky", since they are now checking at airport immigration for the 90 day reporting form (it has to be in your passport when you leave), and if you are caught, it's a "big problem" and you will be delayed and have to pay a 5000 baht fine.

By the way, if you do get fined for this, you get a lovely stamp in your passport, in Thai, that says you have "overstayed" and been fined. Kind of an "overstatement", isn't it?

Axel or any Amvets, I'm on a 1 year type O multiple entry visa for marriage and am not sure about what I have to do. I know I have to leave every 90 days but do I have to fill out any special forms since all I'm doing is going across the border and coming right back. I'm not filing for the one year extension at this time because I'm waiting for my pension to increase because of a change in dependents status. Any info on Veterans Adinistration guys here in Thailand would be helpful. Thanks

Axel or any Amvets, I'm on a 1 year type O multiple entry visa for marriage and am not sure about what I have to do. I know I have to leave every 90 days but do I have to fill out any special forms since all I'm doing is going across the border and coming right back.

Assume you extent your stay after 60 days for another 30 and than do a border run. Once back your stay starts new and you give your address in the TM-card when (re) entering Thailand. So no need to report your address within the next 90- days unless (No. 4 TM-card) you change the address which must be reported within 24 hours.

The rule as shown in theTM-card undEr no. 5 says:

MUST NOTIFY YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IF YOU STAY LONGER THAN NINETY DAYS AND ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO EVERY NINETY DAYS.

Thanks Axel, No sense me getting the 30 day extension after 60 days because I would have to pay for the extension and still have to leave before the 90 days were up. Guess I'll just do the 4 trips this year and maybe Ol Uncle Sam will have my stuff done in that time. LOL I've been trying for the last year to get them to process my marriage and now I have another dependent in the form of a beautiful little girl. Some people say the Thai's are crazy in the way they do things but the US could sure improve the way they do things also. Thanks again.

90 Day reporting is a Pain in the ass just another form of harrassment

When I report they (Chiang Mai) give me a blank form to fill out at home for next time. Every 3 months I drop it off, show them my passport, done in 5 minutes. Not a big deal at all.

I don't want to start an arguement but I think there are many things in life one has to do more than every 90 days (like pay bills :o ) that are much more a pain than this. Don't sweat the little things.

Guess I'll just do the 4 trips this year and maybe Ol Uncle Sam will have my stuff done in that time.

You are aware that you can extend your present multi O visa with 200k in a Thai bank account without any set income requirement? If you can do that your current pay statement, if more than perhaps $500 per month should be more than enough. Even if less I would talk with immigration and try to get going before any increase in requirements. Nothing to lose and with a wife/child believe they will try to help you in any way they can.

A little information: Immigration is fining people NOW. If you go to Room 401 and tell them you want to report your address, they will look at the entry date stamped on the back of your arrival card. You will be fined 2,000 baht for EVERY 90 day period beyond that date.

• 1 month later...

The posting from heychay shocked me a little bit, as I'll have to go tomorrow to report and am late - but then, the posting on the next page from rabkk made the outlook better....

I knew about the 90 days reporting law, but thought, that the immigation would count the monthly visa reviews (prior to the issuing of a one-year visa) also as 'reporting' - which they obviousely don't... if they would count these, I'd be tomorrow only 89 days since my last 'review' stamp.

Of course I learned that rather by accident when I came across the thaivisa article (from November 2003) just 2 days ago - also, it seems that nobody knows very much about the 90-days reporting law, or about the exact regulations (and it seems to me that quite a lot of people never reported or report...)

But I guess the boys at the Immigration won't let this count as an argument - so hopefully it'll be only the 2,000 Baht fine and be done with it...

Any more people with experiences with how the immigration handles cases where the foreigner reporting his address is more then 90 days late?

By the way, any info I read re this, said only something about a 2,000 Baht fine, but nothing about having to pay more than that for not having reported for more than 90 days.

I went in last week - also unaware that a Non-Immig visa extension (obtained from Bangkok: 3 months to 1 year) did not count. Has been around 5 months since I last entered Thailand.

Was sent from Room 401 to the back room on the ground floor to speak to someone else. Thought I was about to spend Bt2k very quickly, but they told me there was no problem. Just start reporting from next time I re-enter the country.

Immigration officials being consistent as ever.

A little worried about bubba's earlier posting of trying to leave Thailand... Bt5k fine & an attractive stamp?! I was assured that there would be no problem. I wonder....

Freddy

Of course I learned that rather by accident when I came across the thaivisa article (from November 2003) just 2 days ago - also, it seems that nobody knows very much about the 90-days reporting law, or about the exact regulations (and it seems to me that quite a lot of people never reported or report...)

Bangkok Peter,

How can you say this???

The Regulation is on the

Form TM6 that you Complete every

time you Enter the Kingdom:

AND it is very clear

Roger

The rule as shown in theTM6 card No. 5 says:

MUST NOTIFY YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IF YOU STAY LONGER THAN NINETY DAYS AND ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO EVERY NINETY DAYS.

OK, I went into immigration to check on my yearly visa 90 days to the day after my application and not a word was said to me about reporting my address. That is the day my one year visa was stamped into my passport. I even asked them about reporting every 90 days (if I could fax in the form) and was told that I had to come in. Why wouldn't they mention at that time that I needed to do it then? I too assumed, since I was in immigration, that was enough. I assumed since the TM card is unclear about this exact point, that reporting would commence 90 days after the last stamp.

I even asked them about reporting every 90 days (if I could fax in the form) and was told that I had to come in. Why wouldn't they mention at that time that I needed to do it then?

You should be able to send the form/proof via registered mail but not fax AFAIK. The folks that take care of visas seem to be very removed from those that take care of the 90 day reporting so you really need to talk with the office (or officer)involved.

In most cases 90 days after application for yearly extension would be well over 90 days from when you entered the country (which is the 90 day start time).

Roger,

ok, the point about the basic 90 days reporting requiremernt in the TM form is clear, I'll give you that...

But what was not clear, was, that monthly visa reviews at the immigration, which have to be done in most cases before a one year visa extension is finally approved (so in my case - 7 monthly reviews before they gave me the 1-year extension), do not count and I guess that's what many people don't know and which also was the reason for my late reporting - about 270 days over time.

ok, I went yesterday, paid 2000 and all was o.k. so, it's only 2000, whether you are one week late or 9 months...good to know.

regarding freddies post, I have read this too that, if you're caught at the aiport or at the border not having reported and being overdue, that you will be slapped with an overstay fine plus 5,000 Baht extra....so better be careful.

Generally I'd say that enforcement of the rules (the 90-day reporting law really has been around since 1971 or so) has become quite a lot stricter no, so I wouldn't bet any more on anything being 'not a problem' if it's not according to the regulations...

It is a bit of rubber-thing. The rule is on the TM card and enforced for over 2 years now. So better do it than to be sorry.

One exception, if you stay on an annual visa but leave within the 90 days under re-entry permit, the count starts again from the latest entry.

Strange enough, the TM-card as well requires a tax-clearance certificate from revenue dept. before leaving Thailand if staying over 90 days. This one apparently was abolished years ago, however, forgotten to take off the TM-card.

In my case, no, I applied for my annual visa about 90 days after I reentered the country (again, no mention was made to me about reporting my address at the time I filled out my visa application). And then, after monthly checks, was told, about 90 days after I applied (so we are now 180 days past reentry) that I needed to check in in 90 days by the immigration officer. I had asked about the fax thing (or mailing) and was told "no, you need to check in in person" and so I then said, "so I will see you in 90 days?" And they said, "yes, see you then." So, is my immigration office clueless then? I will see them next week and report then but will not mention this whole late check in thing, cause if they don't know then I am not going to tell them! Once I have my reporting receipt I will be clear, correct?

I should add that my immigration office is pretty small so perhaps the person who does the renewals is also the person I report too. Perhaps this is why they aren't so strict?

Once I have my reporting receipt I will be clear, correct?
Should be. And I would ask again about reporting by mail as would think that would be allowed down there. Perhaps it is reporting direct to Bangkok that can be done by mail? That would save him the time/trouble. And save you a trip.

Just an update on this. Immigration comes to our island every 1st and 3rd wed of the month. So, I waited until they came, went to see my friendly immigration guy. I told him I was there to do my 90 day check-in, he said "already??" I said, yes, already. So, I gave him the filled out form (I had a spare), he signed it, stapled it into my passport and I was done. He didn't check to see if I was late and seemed very surprised that I was checking in already. I think he thought my appearance in the local immigration office last month was enough too.

So, I guess it just depends on the office you use. I know most of the immigration officers very well and they treat me very kindly. I feel lucky today. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket :o

Just an update on this. Immigration comes to our island every 1st and 3rd wed of the month.

I think he thought my appearance in the local immigration office last month was enough too.

maybe on an island in Thailand, but not in BKK
In my case, no, I applied for my annual visa about 90 days after I reentered the country (again, no mention was made to me about reporting my address at the time I filled out my visa application). And then, after monthly checks, was told, about 90 days after I applied (so we are now 180 days past reentry) that I needed to check in in 90 days by the immigration officer.

no mention of 90 day reporting will be told during an extension and of course your presence in immigration during the extension will not count. I've been nailed for this once and you will get a stamp in your passport in THAI explaining you were a bad boy and then you get the 2000 baht fine.

The rule is on the TM card and enforced for over 2 years now. So better do it than to be sorry.

One exception, if you stay on an annual visa but leave within the 90 days under re-entry permit, the count starts again from the latest entry.

It is on the TM card but most look at the card for 2 seconds in the airport while going down the escalator to grab luggage.
Should be. And I would ask again about reporting by mail as would think that would be allowed down there. Perhaps it is reporting direct to Bangkok that can be done by mail? That would save him the time/trouble. And save you a trip.

true lopburi3, many farangs report their address by mail, i personally enjoy those grim faces in 401 and have it physically recorded in front of my eyes and having the receipt stapled in to my passport.

I agree Huski, which is one of the reasons why I never deal with Immigration in Bangkok! The men & women in the Immigration office here know me well, have dealt with me for years and have always (except for the grumpy gray-haired guy!) treated me in a friendly and respectful manner.

I guess my point to this post being, if you can avoid the Immigration offices in Bangkok, do so! I don't like being just another faceless farang, in my local office I am not just another farang but that crazy american girl who has been here forever and speaks Southern Thai with a local accent. As we all know, in this country (and many others for that matter), it is not how much money you pay but who you know, or, in my case, who knows me!