Happy Mother’S Day!

Tod Daniels

While I am NOT known for my posting etiquette, I want everyone to know that I love my Mom. Happy Mother’s Day to all!!!

Here is a song by (of course. ..) เสก โลโซ (Sek Loso) called แม่ (mom).

The song live is here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpCJ-2jNlI

The lyrics are here;

ป่านนี้ จะเป็นอย่างไร จากมาไกล แสนนาน

คิดถึง คิดถึงบ้าน จากมาตั้งนาน เมื่อไรจะได้กลับ

แม่จ๋า แม่รู้บ้างไหม ว่าดวงใจ ดวงนี้เป็นห่วง

จากลูกน้อย ที่แม่ห่วงหวง อยู่เมืองหลวง ศิวิไลซ์ ไกลบ้านเรา

คิดถึงแม่ขึ้นมา น้ำตามันก็ไหล อยากกลับไป ซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่

ในอ้อมกอด รักจริง ที่เที่ยงแท้ ในอกแม่ สุขเกินใคร

อีกไม่นาน ลูกจะกลับไป หอบดวงใจ เจ็บช้ำเกินทน

เก็บเรื่องราว วุ่นวายสับสน ใจที่วกวน ของคนในเมืองกรุง

คิดถึงแม่ขึ้นมา น้ำตามันก็ไหล อยากกลับไป ซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่

ในอ้อมกอด รักจริง ที่เที่ยงแท้ ในอกแม่ สุขเกินใคร

อีกไม่นาน ลูกจะกลับไป หอบดวงใจ เจ็บช้ำเกินทน

เก็บเรื่องราว วุ่นวายสับสน กับบางคน ที่ใจไม่แน่นอน

ลืมเรื่องบางคน ไปซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่

P/S; I am sorry I make the thai font large, I can't read it if I don't.

As an aside; I can't listen to this song without having tears run down my face.

Again, Happy Mother's Day to all of you..

Thanks Todd. While I'm not so sure about the whole "Mother's Day" concept, which seems like just a big marketing effort in the west, and an exercise in propaganda here, I'm all for the idea of expressing one's gratitude to one's mother.

I too quite like this song, so I think I'll try my hand at translating it:

ป่านนี้ จะเป็นอย่างไร จากมาไกล แสนนาน // By now, how are you doing, I've been away, so long

คิดถึง คิดถึงบ้าน จากมาตั้งนาน เมื่อไรจะได้กลับ // I miss, I miss home, away so long, when will I return?

แม่จ๋า แม่รู้บ้างไหม ว่าดวงใจ ดวงนี้เป็นห่วง // Mother dear, do you know? that my heart, my heart is worried

จากลูกน้อย ที่แม่ห่วงหวง อยู่เมืองหลวง ศิวิไลซ์ ไกลบ้านเรา // From your child, who you worry about so, in the capital--civilization!--so far from home

คิดถึงแม่ขึ้นมา น้ำตามันก็ไหล อยากกลับไป ซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่ // Whenever I miss you, the tears stream down, I want to go back, and collapse in your lap

ในอ้อมกอด รักจริง ที่เที่ยงแท้ ในอกแม่ สุขเกินใคร // In your embrace, true love, unconditional, at your breast, more contented than anyone

อีกไม่นาน ลูกจะกลับไป หอบดวงใจ เจ็บช้ำเกินทน // Not long now, your child will return, hauling his heart, insufferably bruised

เก็บเรื่องราว วุ่นวายสับสน ใจที่วกวน ของคนในเมืองกรุง // Gathering up the stories, of chaos and confusion, and twisted hearts, of the people in the big city

คิดถึงแม่ขึ้นมา น้ำตามันก็ไหล อยากกลับไป ซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่ // When I miss you, the tears stream down, I want to go back, and collapse in your lap

ในอ้อมกอด รักจริง ที่เที่ยงแท้ ในอกแม่ สุขเกินใคร // In your embrace, true love, unconditional, at your breast, more contented than anyone

อีกไม่นาน ลูกจะกลับไป หอบดวงใจ เจ็บช้ำเกินทน // Not long now, your child will return, hauling his heart, insufferably bruised

เก็บเรื่องราว วุ่นวายสับสน กับบางคน ที่ใจไม่แน่นอน // Gathering up the stories, of chaos and confusion, about someone, who I'm not sure about

ลืมเรื่องบางคน ไปซบลงที่ตรงตักแม่ // I'll forget her, and collapse in your lap

What a beautiful song. My translation hardly does it justice, but you'll have to take my word for it if you don't read Thai. Or you can just listen and appreciate the sentiment. Thanks again, Todd!

There's another translation here: http://www.justsomelyrics.com/1682665/เสก-โลโซ-10-Years-Rock-D.2-แม่-Lyrics

This one's much less literal than mine--they take some real liberties with the translation--and there are some outright mistakes, but it might be of interest anyway, especially since it also has the lyrics in roman script. (One glaring mistake is the translation of หอบดวงใจเจ็บช้ำเกินทน as "When I'm out of breath, and it hurts too much." หอบ can mean both "winded/out of breath" and "to carry/to lug"--in this case, I think it's clear that Sek is singing of dragging his bruised heart back home, not about being out of breath. There are several other errors in the translation--see if you can spot them all!)

เก็บ in this sense is not "gathering...., but "leaveing....behind.

Thank you, I think you're right. Perhaps I could also have said "putting away"? I guess it really depends on your interpretation of the song, whether or not you think he intends to take the stories and thoughts from the city back home with him--indeed, "leaving behind" is probably the best choice.

That's a nice song. Thanks for posting and the translation.

Wonder if there are are any rock bands in the West who would write a song like that about missing their mom? :)

Edited by katana

There's another translation here: http://www.justsomel...;่-Lyrics

This one's much less literal than mine--they take some real liberties with the translation--and there are some outright mistakes, but it might be of interest anyway, especially since it also has the lyrics in roman script. (One glaring mistake is the translation of หอบดวงใจเจ็บช้ำเกินทน as "When I'm out of breath, and it hurts too much." หอบ can mean both "winded/out of breath" and "to carry/to lug"--in this case, I think it's clear that Sek is singing of dragging his bruised heart back home, not about being out of breath. There are several other errors in the translation--see if you can spot them all!)

Here's another translation from ethaimusic. They have tons of Thai songs. I use them a lot when I try to learn a new song for Karaoke. Trying to impress the Thai ladies by being able to sing a Thai song...just wish I had the voice to go along with it! :lol: