Best Beach That Is Not On An Island

Shipwreck

Hi,

My parents are coming to visit me in Thailand for the first time in December. I would like to take them to a postcard-like beach so they can experience what I've been raving about for all these years.

They are in their late 60's and not really up for long-tail boats or multiple hour mini van rides (Koh Lanta), so I would prefer to find a beach that we can access from the mainland.

No need for bars/massage/backpacker areas either.

Basically, they are going to want to sit under an umbrella (or tree?) read a book, take a swim and hopefully see a colorful fish or two swimming around their ankles. Eat some seafood at a nice restaurant and retire early. Quiet is a plus!

So, what fits the bill? All of the great beaches I know of you need to be a little more adventurous to get to. (around Krabi, Koh Kradan, etc)

Right now I'm thinking about Hua Hin/Chumphon. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with Thung Wae len beach in Chumphon. Just North of the town sometimes called Cabana beach after the resort of the same name. A 2km pristine beach with no hawkers just nice sand, cheap food and cheap accommodation. For me it offers all I want from Thailand.

You can't go wrong with Thung Wae len beach in Chumphon. Just North of the town sometimes called Cabana beach after the resort of the same name. A 2km pristine beach with no hawkers just nice sand, cheap food and cheap accommodation. For me it offers all I want from Thailand.

Funny you should mention that beach. I went there a year ago and loved it. It's quite nice if you want a pretty place with virtually nobody and no hawkers! There was a decent beach bar/burger place there aswell.Pictures from 2009:

post-110787-077917100 1281602859_thumb.j

post-110787-096073200 1281603090_thumb.j

There are some nice beaches in the far south, but I fear they are just too far too recommend. I really dislike LAnta but it might be right up your alley, you can train to Trang city, walk 50m to mb stand and catch a mb to Lanta (few hrs). Plenty of resorts and while not my cuppa, it is very popular (stay to the north for prettier beaches.

Another island that now has very easy access and again - I was finished with it in 99, but has 4* resorts - Ko Chang.

Finally, very rustic, ready to pop any year now; LOVELY maybe not meet your needs - Ko Phayam. Catch a bus to Ranong. Get off at the Bus station, songtaew to Pier (7mins), high season has a "speed boat" 30km to Ko Phayam. Ao Kwai is the bay to stay on. I can give you a nice bungalow there in you pm me - you will need to walk, bike or rent motorcycles there.

Plenty of islands with really easy access. Don't limit yourself unless your parents are really unfit. In fact, they would most likely love Ko Ngai and you can get there on a big ass boat from both Trang and Lanta

For me, eat facing beaches never cut it. Gotta have a sunset!

2nd that...if you are in the South, Trang area is beautiful.

could not agree more. Also just north of Chumpon Baan Rood beach is ideal.

My favorite beach in the South is Baan Thong Ching!

It is located some 10 kilometers north of Khanom and 10 kilometers south of the ferry port to Koh Samui, DonSak.

This is amongst the best beaches Thailand has to offer!

No traffic! No hawkers! No hookers!

DSCF1967.jpg

ching2.jpg

LOVELY maybe not meet your needs - Ko Phayam. Catch a bus to Ranong. Get off at the Bus station, songtaew to Pier (7mins), high season has a "speed boat" 30km to Ko Phayam. Ao Kwai is the bay to stay on. I can give you a nice bungalow there in you pm me - you will need to walk, bike or rent motorcycles there.

iSLANDS ARE NOT THE SUBJECT HERE, ANYHOW=

Kho Phayam is most lovely but beware, taking the boat transfer can be outright dangerous, you may be expected after landing to cross several boats of different heights tied to each other. I saw a mother with her baby tied to her back crawling over normal horizontally lying ladder. FRIGHTENING!

Re: Thung Wau Laen there are 3 or 4 cheaper places (under 1000baht) at the northern end of the beach just before the road turns away from the sea and heads inland. Nice restaurant right where the road turns away too, right on the beach.

Sat Pic

Edited by knocka

How about Samed ?

not far from the mainland only 20 - 30 minutes by big boat or 15 minutes by speedboat.

Have many various kind of accommondation.

I think you mean Samet great place, I go back many times but have you fogotten !! what they call roads thats if they haven't collapsed.

The trip from the ferry by taxi can be difficult for older people.

The speedboat costs a lot and you have to paddle ashore cases and all.

Then you get the beach police wanting 200 baht per person Thai people free of course.

Large choice of accommodation though looking from the sea at the beach, from the right expensive and gets cheaper as you go left.

Cheaper places inland.

Chalet right on the beach at low season, paid 1,200 .

I would not go in high season or holiday times more expensive and crowded.

Lovely beach, crystal clear water, food all along the beach restaurants reasonable and good food.

Here's my information, not the choice of everybody but it hasn't missed yet with people wanting to seeThailand and visit me for the first time in a short time stay holiday.

It gives me a holiday too coming down from the mid-north to see them.

First time in Thailand fly directly into Phuket, accommodation near all the many beaches, plenty of things to see nearby in Phuket.

A beach I found was private called Paradise Beach, good restaurant, good toilet facilities which people seem to forget about, no hawkers, sellers etc just a quiet little bay. You need a car or taxi to get there from Pantong and Pantong has most of shopping markets etc, evening and nightlife has everything to see if you wish too !

Quiet one end very, very noisey the otherend.

I call it the crash corse to visit Thailand.

People here have already put some lovely places the choice is you buddy.

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with you!

I have stayed in Khanom for about 3 years now and it is a beautiful and quite little fishing village opposite Koh Samui on the mainland.

Here we have many beaches: Kwaeng Plao, Ao Thong Ching, Had Nadan, Had Nai Plao and Had Thong Yee.

Kwaeng Plao Beach is situated about 10kms north of Khanom. The ferry to koh Samui used to go from here some years ago. The old pier is a great place for fishing. There are 2-3 restaurants and hotels here as well.

post-115966-055988500 1287243166_thumb.j

Ao Thong Ching is about 1 km south of Kwaeng Plao. The road is steep and narrow but when you reach Ao Thong Ching you will notice a stunning beach. There is an eco-friendly resort here. Often you will have the beach for your self.

post-115966-015451900 1287243185_thumb.j

post-115966-024868600 1287243223_thumb.j

Had Nadan is situated in the heart of Khanom. It is about 10km long but it is not as nice as Kwaeng Plao or Ao Thong Ching. Here you will find restaurants and hotels along the beach.

post-115966-012732100 1287243205_thumb.j

Had Nai Plao is small and crowded with people. Usually you will ses 5 to 10 people on the beach...... In Nai Plao thre are several hotels, resturants etc. It the closes we will come to a tourist spot here in Khanom.

Finally we have Thong Yee beach. About 10kms south of Khanom. Thong Yee has a restaurant with good food and drinks. Not many people come here though.

Please check it out. Khanom is a wonderful place to stay.

Se yaa all in Khanom,

Kristian

Well nice if someone cleaned the beach from the rubbish, happens once year, the cleaning I mean.

The Cabana, nice surroundings and swimming pool, but the rooms, ai ai.

Beware sandflies, saw a few people badly bitten.

Now if you think I know nothing about Thung Wua Laen, I lived there for 4 years, a few doors up the Belgian ex military Richard who ran that guesthouse with his fat Thai wife. :whistling:

The Malibu bar is a nice place on the beach to drink a cocktail, the owner plays nice music on his guitar.

There are a few decent resorts along the beach and a new hotel mid beach, no swimming pool though.