Travel Medical Insurance

sunspun

my apologies if this question has been asked already. i did a search but anything at all relavant was pretty old.

the travel medical insurance i usually purchase in my own country ends up being about 7-8000 baht for a period of 6 months. it covers all the ususal stuff. i'm wondering if this is a good deal? is there something better i should be looking for? i live in thailand usually about half the year (sometimes more). should i be getting a different kind of insurance because i live there rather than holiday? or do i need insurance? my husband (thai) thinks it's funny i spend so much money on this when he tells me i can just go to the hospital for 30 baht. but i've been in the government hospitals. i can't imagine being seriously hurt and staying there!

by the looks of the posts on here, i take it is a pretty good deal, but still seems like a fair bit of money for something i've never used (thankfully)!!

any advice would be great. thanks :)

First point - you did not say how old you are (and being a lady we understand)

However you said you lived here for half of the year and so not 'Traveling'. Therefore should you make a claim and the insurance company find out (checking passport?) you are in fact living here with your husband then the insurance company could refuse to pay.

"a fair bit of money" yes one can look at insurance from that view point but we also know customers who have had to claim who wished they had spent a little more to get a higher benefit plan - but agree any cover is better than none.

As a Thai Visa member may we suggest you contact us Here and we can offer you all the possible options ?

I agree with the above, check the small print of your policy to ensure that you are covered.

Travel insurance may cover medical problems but will normally have a limit on the length of trip.

Example

Period of insurance – any trip not exceeding 30 days

Full International health insurance costs a lot more than the "7 or 8,000 THB for 6 months cover" that you are paying.

i didn't realise i may not be covered if i am staying so long. i pay a higher per day rate because it is a longer period, and they say it is up to 180 days, with an option of extending. i assumed that meant i was fine to be there long term, but i will inquire more. it is also half the regular price because it excludes the USA entirely.

ps. i am 25 years old.

i didn't realise i may not be covered if i am staying so long. i pay a higher per day rate because it is a longer period, and they say it is up to 180 days, with an option of extending. i assumed that meant i was fine to be there long term, but i will inquire more. it is also half the regular price because it excludes the USA entirely.

ps. i am 25 years old.

Hi

If the policy states that you are covered for up to 180 days, then any claim made during that period should be paid subject of course to the other terms & conditions of the policy.

TBWG :wai: