Home Brewing.

richb2004

I am attempting to brew my own beer and wine at home. I realize that this is an odd thing to do in Thailand as the booze here is cheap, but its become something of a challenge since I told my wife I could make my own easily.

Anyway I have already tried it once without success.

I am using the only yeast that I could find here. Its labeled 'Perfect Yeast' and is baking yeast. When I used it last time there was no reaction at all. I may have added the yeast without giving the mix chance to cool; otherwise I have no idea why it didn't work.

Any ideas why this yeast failed to ferment, or where I might get some better suited to brewing?

Thanks.

I am using the only yeast that I could find here. Its labeled 'Perfect Yeast' and is baking yeast. When I used it last time there was no reaction at all. I may have added the yeast without giving the mix chance to cool; otherwise I have no idea why it didn't work.

baby , i think you use wrong type of yeast..

the yeast that we do wine is diff from baking yeast , you can find and buy near Kasetsart University ja

Bambi :o

Thanks. I think that you are probably right. I am outside Bangkok area, in Rayong.

Maybe I am best of forgetting it and still to buying my beer. It would have been nice to make my own though, even just once.

Thanks

baby , i think you use wrong type of yeast..

the yeast that we do wine is diff from baking yeast , you can find and buy near Kasetsart University ja

You should use brewers yeast. It comes in both top fermenting and bottom fermenting. You probably have to order it from the internet. You could probably use the yeast that the locals make their Lao Khao from. I made some of my own rice wine with the yeast i got from my wife's village in the mountains and it worked pretty good. I added some fruit to it to give it some more flavor. Making consistent beer requires that you can control the temperature though. Do you have a way of doing this?

You could probably use the yeast that the locals make their Lao Khao from.

in thai it called " Look Paeng Khao Maak" or "Look-paeng "(mould and yeast ball).

, sometime they use it to do "Khao Maak" too(Fermented glutinous rice)

Edited by BambinA

I am attempting to brew my own beer and wine at home. I realize that this is an odd thing to do in Thailand as the booze here is cheap, but its become something of a challenge since I told my wife I could make my own easily.

quote]

I have been brewing beer for more years than I like to admit. I have found that yeast is really important ( get brewers yeast ) and temperature. In cooler climates it is easier to brew as you can control the temp with a little heat. beer should brew at about 25 C. or there abouts. You have to be carefull when you make the brew that you get the yeast to work quickly because there is natural yeast in the air and it can get into your brew and ruin your beer. This could happen very easily in Thailand because of the temp. Where I live, I can buy a brew kit that has everything that is needed to make 30 big bottles of beer for about $NZ10. or $US7.. There are many good websites on this subject but if you just want to make a good brew, get a " brew kit " from any brewery that sells them. I would be really interested to now if you can get one of these it Thailand, if you find anything , would you let me now? Internet try: Brewers world or home brew.

Best of luck.

i wouldn't risk it! it is illegal.

maybe you can come to an agreement with your local excise department, but it is not very likely. the laws on it are very strict and are enforced. beer tax is very high.

yes, what has been said before is absolutely correct: there are many different types of yeast, for beer only there are much more than 1oo, they provide different taste, are fermenting at different temperatures, and so on.

i cannot give you more advice on that. it would be against the forum-rules, because it is illegal.

Edited by Brew

I obviously missed the part of the OP where he said he was going to go into business selling his home brew. I did some painting at home the other week - should I have got in touch with the Labour Ministry?

I hope you manage to find the correct yeast & manage to brew a decent pint - good luck. Ignore the idiots.

[You'd better go and wrap yourself in cotton wool until the reaper comes a knocking at your door. Perish the thought of doing anything illegal in such a law abiding society such as Thailand.  :o

Dog,

Yes it is illegal, yes there is a very small chance of being caught, but even if this chance is minute is it worth it?

I lived in Saudi for many years where brewing beer is also illegal. I brewed many cases of beer while I was there. Was it worth it? Yes, because I couldn't just walk into my local Tesco and buy a box of beer for peanuts.

In Saudi there was/is also a very small chance of being caught, however I knew personally a few people who were in fact grassed on.

They were arrested, put in goal, lost their jobs and were deported.

Having brewed thousands of litres of the stuff over ten years in Libya and twelve years in Saudi, and all done with baking yeast, I would suggest that either your brew was too hot, or that you had dirty kit (both reasons mentioned earlier by other posters).

How are you brewing? From the basics - boiling malt extract and sugar (separately) and putting them into a large plastic garbage bin with air-tight lid, adding hop-extract / or trying to revitalise non-alcoholic beer?

The yeast should be added last, when the mixture has cooled. First put a couple of table-spoonsful of yeast into a small bottle with water and a teaspoon of sugar. Water at about 28 degrees Celsius. Shake this mixture and leave to activate. The mixture will froth a great deal, so make sure there is plenty of room in the bottle to allow for this. When it is bubbling madly, put in the big garbage bin and close. Use a 'bubbler' (air lock) to allow the gases that are generated to escape without allowing bacteria-laden air back in.

For your hop extract I would recommend the German 'liquid soap' type, rather than the british stuff (powdered leaves / liquid / concentrate). If you have worked in a truck workshop you should be familiar with 'Rozalex' - the German stuff looks exactly like this and is excellent.

When you brew is ready for bottling (about eight-to-ten days usually, depends on temperature, do not throw the sediment away. This is now better brewing yeast than it was a fortnight before, but you do need to add new yeast as a booster.

Don't forget to add a little sugar to each bottle for re-fermentation and use explosion-proof bottles and corks/caps.

I used to do 100 litres per week for our team's darts matches, with up to 300 litres in addition for parties. And was never given the 'grot Grog' award at beer festivals - although only once winning 'Best of Brew'.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have never seen a brewing kit in Thailand. My first attempt was however with a brew kit brought from UK to Thailand. I think I left it to long as it ended up tasting like vinegar. My next attempt did nothing. I tend to think that this was because I was too impatient to wait for it to cool before adding the yeast.

Tomorrow I will try with the bakers yeast again, but this time letting it cool.

I am actually attempting to make tea wine. This may sound ridiculous, but some I the guys that I work with in Libya make it and it actually tastes ok. I will use fruit tea bags. Once I master this I will move onto something more adventurous.

I find it almost impossible believe that brewing is illegal, and even if it is I am not about to stop brewing my 20 liters of tea wine. I wasn’t planning on standing by the road side selling the stuff, it’s just to enjoy whilst sat in the garden, and mainly so that I can show my wife that it’s actually possible.

Thanks again for the advice. I’ll let you all know in a few weeks how I got on.

home brewing alcohol is illegal in Thailand and yes so is painting your own house....the chances of being caught painting is fairly remote as it wouldnt piss too many off.....however.....

if the local shopkeeper got pissed off at you cos you aint buying any beer from her anymore or even because she has a personal gripe against you now or in the future then you stand a good chance of being busted and deported.

however, indeed TIT.......upto you...... :D:o

I don't have a local shopkeeper. What little alcohol I do buy I get from Lotus, Tesco or Big C. I live on a private village and keep myself to myself. No one would know if I was building an atomic bomb in my shed let alone a keg of beer.

Thanks for the concern, but I think I'm safe.

home brewing alcohol is illegal in Thailand and yes so is painting your own house....the chances of being caught painting is fairly remote as it wouldnt piss too many off.....however.....

if the local shopkeeper got pissed off at you cos you aint buying any beer from her anymore or even because she has a personal gripe against you now or in the future then you stand a good chance of being busted and deported.

however, indeed TIT.......upto you...... :D  :o

You need to get decent brewing yeast. It makes a huge difference to the final product.

I've brewed thousands of litres of beer and wine while I lived in Saudi. The product using "real" brewing yeast will be as good as anything that you buy from the shop. (Usually with a much higher alcohol content though).

The product using bakers yeast can vary between just drinkable and outright horrible.