Uk Visiting Visa / 2 Year Settlement Visa For Thai Wife

I have recently found employment and would like my Thai Wife to be with me in the UK

on the 6 Months Visit Visa(she has visited the UK before on the Visit Visa), as its going to be some time to get the 2 year Settlement Visa, due to the waiting times and my situation at present as i'm living with Family and eventually will be able to find more suitable accommadation.We would like to have some time together as we've been apart for some time now.

I would like to know when she returns to Thailand after the 6 month visit,How long would she have to wait to apply for a 2 year Settlement Visa?

I like the Visit Visa option as it will at least give us some time together.

Thanks for any advice in advance ....POMCHOB ;)

I am not sure what you mean by a 2 year settlement visa. The settlement visa is just that, settlement, not limited by time.

I think OP is asking would she have to wait before applying for a settlement visa and also how long the process takes.

According to my limited knowledge you wouldn't have to wait, she'd just apply in BKK. Processing times vary but are currently taking about 8-9 weeks. Hope this info suffices if not do a search as plenty of info on the forum.

The initial settlement visa for a spouse is valid for 27 months and during this time the holder completes the necessary steps toward Indefinite Leave to Remain; e.g. satisfying the Knowledge of Life and Language in the UK requirement.

Pomchob, there is no reason why she cannot apply for a settlement visa immediately upon her return to Thailand from a visit to the UK; but why do the visit?

If your present accommodation is unsuitable for a settlement visa then it is also unsuitable for a visit.

The waiting time for a settlement application is a bit longer than a visit; but once she has her settlement visa that's it until it's time to apply for ILR. A visit visa means that she will have to return to Thailand at the end of it to apply for settlement; visit visas cannot be converted to settlement in the UK.

Your choice, of course.

You may find Maintenance and accommodation helpful.

The initial settlement visa for a spouse is valid for 27 months and during this time the holder completes the necessary steps toward Indefinite Leave to Remain; e.g. satisfying the Knowledge of Life and Language in the UK requirement.

Pomchob, there is no reason why she cannot apply for a settlement visa immediately upon her return to Thailand from a visit to the UK; but why do the visit?

If your present accommodation is unsuitable for a settlement visa then it is also unsuitable for a visit.

The waiting time for a settlement application is a bit longer than a visit; but once she has her settlement visa that's it until it's time to apply for ILR. A visit visa means that she will have to return to Thailand at the end of it to apply for settlement; visit visas cannot be converted to settlement in the UK.

Your choice, of course.

You may find Maintenance and accommodation helpful.

Thank-you 7by7 ,my wife came her the last time on the Visit visa at my family accomadation where i live at the moment

we would have to show a firm offer, i think, of accommadation that we would move onto in the near future , from your kind advice, this would take sometime as ive only been in the job a short while.

Nov seems a long way as weve been apart for 12 months already becase my job situation before.So you can see why this option has been in our minds

ie Visit Visa and stepping stone to seettlement when she returns to thailand were worried we might not get the settlement visa and lose £619 if we made it now.and then it would take another 3 months to make a new application.

Thanks for all your input its good of you to advise us maybe it could be the wrong way around but we would really love to see eachother very soon and were thinking the Visit Visa is more of a guarantee..... possibly!

Cheers from Pomchob :)

I am not sure what you mean by a 2 year settlement visa. The settlement visa is just that, settlement, not limited by time.

I think OP is asking would she have to wait before applying for a settlement visa and also how long the process takes.

According to my limited knowledge you wouldn't have to wait, she'd just apply in BKK. Processing times vary but are currently taking about 8-9 weeks. Hope this info suffices if not do a search as plenty of info on the forum.

Thank-you Stament helpful advise from pomchob :)