Artists In Chiang Mai

midnighttiger

No particular area of artists...they are spread throughout the city...some in Baan Tawai, some in CM city. A new large gallery past the Narawat Bridge going away from the city towards the superhighway...gallery is on the right. Some along the river near the Nakorn Ping Bridge other side of CM city....and CM University has an art gallery.

Thank you all for your input.

I'm still puzzling over which area in the city or moo baan to focus my housing search on.

Just to give a background -- I've lived in the medieval quarter of a UNESCO heritage city in Europe for many years now so I am quite fond of residences located in charming, atmospheric, pedestrian-friendly areas with some trees/greenery.

A nice garden with trees surrounding the residence where the kid can run around in would be ideal. Convenient access to galleries, cafes, and local universities would also be a big plus.

I'm personally not a very big fan of US suburban style developments that are just a group of big houses lined up next to one another far from the city -- and would like to avoid such areas if possible.

Would you be able to suggest any particular area(s) so that I could narrow down my search? There seem to be some nice houses advertised "near CM University" and I'm wondering if that is an attractive and sought-after area for some reason?

I'd also consider a secluded place totally nestled in nature outside the city but these places seem to have very limited Internet access.

Edited by midnighttiger

The Gate Theater Group of Chiang Mai offers two or three productions a year at the 7th floor studio theater at Central Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Mall. They are an English language group that's staged some pretty good show in the past. Most notably "The Odd Couple", about six months ago, which was a big hit.

Their website says they will open "Driving Miss Daisy" at the end of October. Google The Gate Theater Chiang Mai.

i think there is no easy answer to your question,near the university could be nice but it all depends.

i think you will just have to look at a lot of rentals until you find something you like,but i would not know a livable art district within or outside the city.

traffic and noise(at night too) are also a concern. thais build relatively big houses on small lots unless they are loaded. not easy to find a small house with garden in the city.some nice places behind the univ.on the side of doi suthep.but no infrastructure there. good luck.