Thai Govt To Get Opinions From Motorcycle Taxi Drivers

webfact

Govt to get opinions from motorcycle taxi drivers

BANGKOK (NNT) -- As part of the government’s plan to solve social inequality, the Government will organize a forum to gather opinions of motorcycle taxi drivers

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Satit Wonghnongtaey, stated that the forum, to be held next month, would allow motorcycle taxi drivers to express their opinions. He said it would be non-political and would not lead to social divisiveness.

The discussion will focus on the costs of living and income problems of motorcycle taxi drivers. Results from the discussion will be compiled and analyzed together with accounts from other groups and research by many committee formed by the government. The government can then work out a plan to tackle social inequality and disparities in the society.

The plan is expected to be completed by the end of December, and the Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva would start implementing it on 1 January 2011. The Government will also conduct the same type of forum to gather information from 13 other groups of people.

Based on a recent survey, there are more than 700,000 motorcycle taxi drivers nationwide, 180,000 of whom are in Bangkok.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-16 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Too much supply where I am - no wonder they don't make much money.

There must be 30 motorbikes waiting at anyone time and quite often they spend hours waiting for a customer in the queue. This is no doubt repeated all over the place.

The other English language paper also reported on this story. You should read the comments that this paper chooses to put against the story. The 'other' newspaper is blatantly a Pua Thai supporting publication. Try and add a comment against the story saying anything negative against Peua Thai; you will find you comment is not listed.

Reading this, I had to check the calendar to make sure it was not April 1st. I suppose that next will be tuk tuk drivers deciding monetary policy and Indian tailors advising on tourism (although that said, they might well do a better job than the TAT!)

Better yet, get someone in charge who has a idea of what the real problems are, and is capable of proposing real solutions. Did the phone in the PM had a while back, indicate the motorcycle taxi drivers were the sphere of influence and knowledge?

There must be 30 motorbikes waiting at anyone time and quite often they spend hours waiting for a customer in the queue. This is no doubt repeated all over the place.

Are you serious? You think they don't make much money? They make more money than most of the people who use their services. They make about 15,000 a month on average after expenses. And they only work about 3 hours a day to get it. The rest of the time they simply sit around, gossip and play games with their friends.

The only reason there are as few as there are is that you have to have a friend to get in the queue. They have a very strict guild system, and a very wealthy one as far as unskilled labour goes. Let's see...I can go to university for 4 years, and be an orderly at a hospital making 7000 baht a month working my tail off, or I can drop out of school completely, do nothing and make twice that amount working only 3 hours a day.

Believe me...everyone wants to be a motorcycle taxi driver. It is a highly sought after position. For all the talk about Bangkok elites, the motorcycle taxi drivers are the rural Issan elite.

The other English language paper also reported on this story. You should read the comments that this paper chooses to put against the story. The 'other' newspaper is blatantly a Pua Thai supporting publication. Try and add a comment against the story saying anything negative against Peua Thai; you will find you comment is not listed.

I thought I was the only one picking up that vibe from that publication....strange how the worm turns....remember all the hoo haa when someone who we wont mention tried to take it over a few years ago

Are you serious? You think they don't make much money? They make more money than most of the people who use their services. They make about 15,000 a month on average after expenses. And they only work about 3 hours a day to get it. The rest of the time they simply sit around, gossip and play games with their friends.

The only reason there are as few as there are is that you have to have a friend to get in the queue. They have a very strict guild system, and a very wealthy one as far as unskilled labour goes. Let's see...I can go to university for 4 years, and be an orderly at a hospital making 7000 baht a month working my tail off, or I can drop out of school completely, do nothing and make twice that amount working only 3 hours a day.

Believe me...everyone wants to be a motorcycle taxi driver. It is a highly sought after position. For all the talk about Bangkok elites, the motorcycle taxi drivers are the rural Issan elite.

Yep, spot on, motorcycle taxi drivers make dam_n good money.

Most motorcycle taxi drivers are RED. The result will be bias and unusable. Better to survey doctors and lawyers.

I admire your amazing talent for determining the political leaning of hundreds of thousands of people you have never met. You must be a whiz at parties.

Can you give me the winning numbers for next weeks lottery?

Edited by overhaul38

Most motorcycle taxi drivers are RED. The result will be bias and unusable. Better to survey doctors and lawyers.

I admire your amazing talent for determining the political leaning of hundreds of thousands of people you have never met. You must be a whiz at parties.

I think if you buy number 00 to 99, you are 100% guarantee to win the 2 digits lottery.

And most of the people suffering from social inequality (like farmers) are also RED, so it may not be a bad place to start, doncha think? Or maybe they should ask shoppers at Siam Paragon what they think...

Try and add a comment against the story saying anything negative against Peua Thai; you will find you comment is not listed.

A bit like some internet discussion (and that word is used very loosely) forums. :whistling:

Nonsense, your trite posts are not being censored here.

But it's a known fact, what's the problem? An example, nothing wrong with saying the vast majority of African Americans are democrats because, let me check, THEY ARE! (90 percent.)

Edited by Jingthing

All of the mafias involved with public transport are good people. Just ask them if they have committed any crime before. I am sure their answer is "NO".

With respect, ALL motorcycle taxi drivers are are breaking the law. The whole trade in 2 wheel taxi-ing is ILLEGAL!

That's why all the teams are run by the BiB's.........doncha know?!

Apart from knocking off your kneecaps against the back corners of pick up trucks, they're not even CHEAP any more.