How To Get A Small Motorcycle License Plate?

floridaguy

Ok, so I bought a Honda Steed, and for whatever reason, decided to replace the perfectly good license plate and green book with a new one. So, I told the DLT that I lost my license plate. After giving them my green book, and after the obligatory inspection, they promptly issued me a new license plate and new green book with my name in it on the spot. Great right?!? Well, the old plate was half size, with Krungthep abbreviated to KT. You have seen these, with the red stripe in the middle. Well the new plate is twice the size, all white, and Krungthep all spelled out. I can't cut it down much, because it would cut off the K and the P, and it would still be quite big. The new plate looks horrible on my bike. They tell me that this is the new plates, they do not issue smaller plates anymore.

Below are the two different plates, both are Bangkok plates, the smaller being abbreviated. Also, the smaller one has the round raised seal next to the province name, whereas the large one has it in the lower corner, where any cutting would remove it.

So, my question is, how do I get a small license plate? I would like someone to make me a "fake" plate, but use my actual plate for the numbers, so technically the plate would be fake, but the information would be correct, and match my green book, registration, tax card on the bike, and my insurance. Does anyone know how to do this? I heard somewhere around Chinatown, but I am not sure.

post-65746-016042000 1281944744_thumb.jp

post-65746-002753500 1281944754_thumb.jp

No no no...not illegal! I just want a smaller version of my legal plate. Shouldn't this fall under some Fair Use policy? Haha.

Any specifics in location of a place that makes "novelty" plates? Not for street use, of course! I live in Thonglor but am visiting near Pattaya tomorrow.

FG.. you will become a favorite amongst your local BIB. Whiskey money every day. It IS illegal to alter a plate in Thailand. If you remove the stamped seal then they see that as a fake plate. Good luck. B)

Well I have the advantage of being a citizen of both LOS and a "farang" country, so not only do I get to push my limits, I tend to get away with it, as so many TV members complain about. I do get the Thai treatment most of the time.

In fact, I also am already known by my neighborhood law enforcement, and they know that I am legal. This is purely an aesthetic concern.

Som nom na, you should have left well enough alone! :)

You are right, I should have left it alone, but like I said, I like to push my limits. Also, this is not a huge concern, since this is purely a cosmetic issue. I hate the look of the giant plate in my sleek chopper. Oh well.

So any pointers to a good plate shop either in Pattaya or Bangkok?

I had one done at at lockshop on Thepprasit several years ago. That was the front plate on a car and where I came from, we were only required to display a rear plate. So it didn't feel that illegal to me. :whistling:

Saved myself all the time and trouble of a legitimate replacement. But I won't be bitching if I get fined 400Baht. :)

Try look up DLTcustomer hotline from the web and give them a call.

I believe (not 100% sure) it is your choice to have the big or small plate. You might have to go back to the DLT where you reg your bike, and apply for a new small plate. No need to lie that you have lost your plate (or green book). They do replacement plate (and green book) upon request for a fee, as a service anyway.

Try look up DLTcustomer hotline from the web and give them a call.

I believe (not 100% sure) it is your choice to have the big or small plate. You might have to go back to the DLT where you reg your bike, and apply for a new small plate. No need to lie that you have lost your plate (or green book). They do replacement plate (and green book) upon request for a fee, as a service anyway.

Thank you, but I tried that already. They said they no longer issue small plates.

You can have it done in Pattaya. The only problem is that they do not have the raised seal stamped on the plate. This is fairly obvious when you look at the plates. I have a few friends that have them and they get hassled by the BIB sometimes. :angry:

I am sure the OP has enough info. allready, B) however,

Sorry - no discussion of illegal activity on Thai Visa.

15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

Closed.