New Villa Market Open

oldgeezer

As a general observation of at least six locations of Villa, I have noticed that the six I visited have very friendly staff who do know where most of the merchandise can be found. I commented on the good management of the Klong Prapa store to the store manager and to the owner one day and he seemed to be appreciative of my comments. I think I made a friend for life in the store manager that day.

I have even pre-ordered certain cuts of meat and it was waiting for me on the day that I needed it.

It is nice to know that this is one store who appreciates their customers.

Edited by puyaidon

Bangkok Forum.

Already been covered by me.

Someone trashed customer service at Villa and their post was removed. I am glad it was. I have had nothing but outstanding service from the store and they carry numerous exclusive items you cant find anywhere else. Thumbs up for Villa

Wife made third trip to SriNakharin Villa. They remembered her right away. Cant say too much about their stock.

Brits may not appreciate, but she came home with Johnsonville Smoked brats, pre-made frozen pie crusts, Johnsonville breakfast sausages, many cheeses and baby back ribs.

And only 2 km from my moo baan. Heaven

hahaha, this thread started buy 2 very funny posts, hahahaha

"staff that actually know what they are selling" still never seen in Thailand in so many years

"good wine selection that you can purchase at any time of the day" impossible by the law

A rather pointless and uninformed Post since I guess you live in Pattaya and have never visited a Villa store - at least not in Bangkok.

Villa staff are indeed very helpful and certainly most of them know what they stock and can tell you where to find it in the store.

Also Villa - at least the Soi 31 / 1 Store and the new one in Paradise Park, the only ones I use - can and do sell Wine and Spirits (and Beer) at any time of the day; I buy from them regularly. I guess they have an "arrangement" with local authorities!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

30 years of (admittedly somewhat rare and intermittent) patronage of Villa stores - and many other supermarkets in Thailand: I fully concur with the positive comments about staff and service.

I was just saying the other day - not for the first time -- how much I wished I lived near one.

I picked up a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream and was about to go and pay for it when a member of staff pointed at some cheaper blended scotch (I forget the name but it's the crap bottled in the Philippines) proclaiming "same same". So much for knowledgeable staff.

I picked up a bottle of Teacher's Highland Cream and was about to go and pay for it when a member of staff pointed at some cheaper blended scotch (I forget the name but it's the crap bottled in the Philippines) proclaiming "same same". So much for knowledgeable staff.

Not every staff member is an expert on Scotch?! Shocking! I'm sure they are much better at Tops. And no doubt the staff at any other supermarket would make the same sort of effort to save you money...

{Note to self: don't expect the staff at Villa to be able to recommend what I should drink but have a reasonable expectation that they will be observant and take initiative to attempt to be helpful...pretty dam_n rare in my experience)

I'm perfectly capable of seeing for myself that one bottle of scotch is cheaper than another. I find it annoying when a shop assistant comes running up to me and points out the obvious, especially when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. If I need help I'll ask for it.

Edited by edwardandtubs

So now your'e complaint is less about how knowledgeable they were(n't) but more about them trying to be helpful...OK then.

I'm perfectly capable of seeing for myself that one bottle of scotch is cheaper than another. I find it annoying when a shop assistant comes running up to me and points out the obvious, especially when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. If I need help I'll ask for it.

Good for you! biggrin.gif

What's for dinner? In this case sweet corn crab soup.

Campbell's soup of course & some fresh crab. The crab I get from the old Seri market. The far opposite end of Paradise from Villa Market.

Before & after shots.

YUM.

looks similar to what I sometimes make at home - only I make a Chinese version of this.

I don't normally use Campbell's though. I start with any brand of creamed corn or even fresh corn. I simply thin it somewhat with a bit of crab stock made from the shells (chicken stock, if using pre-shelled crab-meat), add a wee bit of ginger juice (or you can drop in a few slices of ginger - not to be eaten, of course), a little egg drop (1 egg per can of corn used). Finish with some chopped scallions and a light drizzle of sesame oil (maybe 1/2 ts). Great as a light lunch on its own, or as a wonder side dish to an Asian meal.

Its even better if using fresh corn - just cut kernels off the cob and boil until tender first (with the ginger slices, if using), then cool slightly and puree about 1/2 - 2/3 of it, depending on the ratio of whole kernels you prefer (remove ginger slices first). Depending on the type of corn, thin it as needed with crab or chicken stock. Result is fresher, tastier, and more frugal than if using canned creamed corn or soup. Where I live, sometimes fresh is the only option !!

Wonder why I cannot find this location listed in Villa's store locator. Just curious as I know where Paradise Park is.

The Paradise Shopping Center is a new upscale hi-so complex on Srinakarin Road, which you can access by driving up Sukhumvit 103 (Udomsuk). If you are from central Sukhumvit, you have never heard of any of these places. If you live in the area, its quite convenient, however, Srinakarin Road is undergoing renovation which has been going on forever, so getting there from Sukhumvit itself is quite challenging and time consuming. I love the shopping center but I hate the drive there. FYI the parking structure is very convoluted there (in short, it sucks!)

Edited by mauiguy90

I was at the VIlla near Emporium to pick up some hoisin sauce (I can't believe it is not readily available at Tops or Freshmart), and I saw a pretty good selection of beef, to include one of my favs, flank steak.

I was hungering for a steak last Friday, so I took a drive after work to the Villa on Raprapruk (forgetting the ongoing construction for whatever public transport they are building there and which delayed me 45 minutes) to pick up a steak. That Villa, unfortunately, had a rather small selection. Aside from a few ThaiFrench ribeyes and strips, they had only two Australian ribeyes, so I picked one of them. So I guess not all Villas are stocked the same.

• 2 months later...

Just spent 1500 at villa, would have been 1650 if I didn't put back that medium sized head of broccoli.

Yes,but initially years back it catered for folks like me,fussy old buggers who like Cranberries fresh from the Arctic Circle, French Cheeses, just farang food and sod the cost. You got your Veggies elsewhere, in fact they didn't do any 20 years ago.Its not meant for Budget Buyers. Its to Give a one stop service they do Veggies i suppose

I like Villa a lot especially for those hard to find things - but I find the produce very high priced? Am I alone in this assumption - watermelon 149 baht?

Lot of their products seems to be aimed at people who are afraid to eat things from Thailand. Lot is imported or organic. I try not to buy produce there, but sometimes it's easier to just pay than go to two places.

I like Villa a lot especially for those hard to find things - but I find the produce very high priced? Am I alone in this assumption - watermelon 149 baht?

Lot of their products seems to be aimed at people who are afraid to eat things from Thailand. Lot is imported or organic. I try not to buy produce there, but sometimes it's easier to just pay than go to two places.

Afraid? why afraid? Maybe Thai every day or even most of the time doesn't appeal to some, I know it doesn't appeal to me.. I like a variety of foods including Thai, why have only vanilla when you can also have chocolate, etc. etc.?