Ni Number Uk

Hi all,

My wife is on FLR(M) and she has been trying to get an NI number so she can start applying for jobs. We went to the job centre where they didn't seem to have a clue. We then called the number give on the government website. On the website and as advised on Thaivisa we were under the impression that we had to call this number and they would arrange an appointment at job centre to prove ID etc and then issue one.

Anyway, she has called and they keep telling her that she has to get a job first and then she will get one.

Has anyone had any actual experience with this. I'm not sure if things have changed or if they're getting it wrong (wouldn't be the first time)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

N

Easy--here goes, first go get a job using a temp number, for example if she was born on 28 march 1987 her number would be TN280387F ---TN= Temp number, then Dob then F=Female, the employer will need to see her passport showing FLR/ILR, then apply for number, they will visit you at home, takes about 2 months to come through

Easy--here goes, first go get a job using a temp number, for example if she was born on 28 march 1987 her number would be TN280387F ---TN= Temp number, then Dob then F=Female, the employer will need to see her passport showing FLR/ILR, then apply for number, they will visit you at home, takes about 2 months to come through

I agree this is how it should work chongam but when my wife tried getting a job last year we found that 99% of jobs were (initially) agency jobs and none of those agencies would even register her unless she had a N.I. number (and they wouldn't accept the TN I tried to give them either). I know having the correct visa in your passport should be good enough but that wasn't acceptable to any of the agencies. After a long discussion at the Job Centre and another phone call to the DWP number they supply my wife was eventually sent an application form.

Thanks for the advice.

We are going away for a few days and then when we come back she is going to register at some employment agencies. We will see whether they'll accept her temporary number.

I'll let you know how it goes.

If they won't, and work is necessary, just make one up or use yours. It is only an interim measure and they can sort it all out later on.

Why they are worried is illegal workers or people claiming benefits and working under another NI number. I'd just give her yours if need be.

Thanks for the advice.

We are going away for a few days and then when we come back she is going to register at some employment agencies. We will see whether they'll accept her temporary number.

I'll let you know how it goes.

unless its been changed in the last 12 months,i telephoned 0845 605 1074 and asked for forms to apply for NI number they enclosed form CA5409,they give you 10 days to reply and you must foreward visa and i think b/cert,ps my wife did not want to find work,but i applied for NI number just in case,back in los now so not really needed.

My wife recently applied and got her NI number and I was surprised at how easy it was.

Firstly she went to the job centre plus as per the instructions online and they knew nothing of what to do, but did, after discussing it amongst themselves for a few minutes give her a telephone number of the department to contact - 0845 600 0643.

I rang on her behalf, from memory it was Newcastle, and the man at the call centre took her detials, asked why she wanted a NI number, (in order to seek employment) and he said that they would send some forms which needed to be filled in and returned to an address on the Isle of Wight.

The forms arrived in 3 or 4 days, were fairly straight forward from what I remember, and she had to include copies of our marriage certificate, our passport biometric data pages and a copy of her visa. The forms were accompanied by a letter saying that they would contact her for an interview after recieving the forms back. They did give a timescale for an interview but I can't remember what it was. I know it wasn't long, maybe 4 weeks.

A few weeks later a letter arrived addressed to my wife and it was notification of her NI number and said that a card would follow in 6 to 8 weeks.

A card did arrive after about 9 weeks but was in her maiden name.

I called the helpline number included with the card and explained the problem. The lady at the call centre said that the problem must of been when she had her interview she never showed her marraige certificate. I explained that she was never asked to, or attended an interview. Her response was for my wife to return the NI number card and to fill in the form for a name change and include a copy of her marraige certificate.

She did this and 5 weeks later a new card was sent this time showing her married name.

All in all very easy and other than the mix up with the name, plain sailing. I was very surprised and impressed on both occassions I had to call as they were polite, efficient and mostly very knowledgable.

My wife recently applied and got her NI number and I was surprised at how easy it was.

Firstly she went to the job centre plus as per the instructions online and they knew nothing of what to do, but did, after discussing it amongst themselves for a few minutes give her a telephone number of the department to contact - 0845 600 0643.

I rang on her behalf, from memory it was Newcastle, and the man at the call centre took her detials, asked why she wanted a NI number, (in order to seek employment) and he said that they would send some forms which needed to be filled in and returned to an address on the Isle of Wight.

The forms arrived in 3 or 4 days, were fairly straight forward from what I remember, and she had to include copies of our marriage certificate, our passport biometric data pages and a copy of her visa. The forms were accompanied by a letter saying that they would contact her for an interview after recieving the forms back. They did give a timescale for an interview but I can't remember what it was. I know it wasn't long, maybe 4 weeks.

A few weeks later a letter arrived addressed to my wife and it was notification of her NI number and said that a card would follow in 6 to 8 weeks.

A card did arrive after about 9 weeks but was in her maiden name.

I called the helpline number included with the card and explained the problem. The lady at the call centre said that the problem must of been when she had her interview she never showed her marraige certificate. I explained that she was never asked to, or attended an interview. Her response was for my wife to return the NI number card and to fill in the form for a name change and include a copy of her marraige certificate.

She did this and 5 weeks later a new card was sent this time showing her married name.

All in all very easy and other than the mix up with the name, plain sailing. I was very surprised and impressed on both occassions I had to call as they were polite, efficient and mostly very knowledgable.

i would second that,we had no proplem getting NI number and if i rember, it was only a matter of weeks to obtain by post,never a mention of interview at any stage of the process.

I returned to the UK 40 years after I left (at age 4). This was 2008. I had to call the job centre number, got an interview date and at a location closest to my postal code.

Did the interview with an Indian lady who spoke little English. 3 weeks later got a letter with the number and about 8 weeks later got the plastic card.

You can work without one in lieu of the application and you will be taxed higher (emergency tax) until you present the actual number to the employer.

6 months later, I got fed up with all the PC and left, for good. I will go back in another 40 years!

I returned to the UK 40 years after I left (at age 4). This was 2008. I had to call the job centre number, got an interview date and at a location closest to my postal code.

Did the interview with an Indian lady who spoke little English. 3 weeks later got a letter with the number and about 8 weeks later got the plastic card.

You can work without one in lieu of the application and you will be taxed higher (emergency tax) until you present the actual number to the employer.

6 months later, I got fed up with all the PC and left, for good. I will go back in another 40 years!

started my day off with a good laugh,if you cant beat them,leave lol.