Nationwide International

I recently advised Nationwide Int that I had moved and so gave them the new address via their secure message service, recieved back confirmation that it had been recieved and their request that it be confirmed via a posted letter,which I did with registered post.

But.....they froze any money transfers until the confirmation was revieved.

10 days later they still claimed not to have recieved it...so I was still unable to transfer any money.

Using the secure message service I pointed out that IF their message service was so secure,why did they not accept its contents but rely on a non secure postal service..........no reply.

Needing a money transfer out here I telephoned them.

Being very hard of hearing,especialy on the telephone,the woman answering wanted to verify my identity with her questions...fair enough....BUT...she would not accept my answers saying that they were incorrect.....they were'nt.

Yesterday I accessed my account and was greeted with the announcment that the account was now BLOCKED with the facility of using the secure message service unavailable and I would need to re-register,which would be acknowledged via POST with new passwords etc.

.So much for Internet Banking,,,as long as you can use the postal services.

Messrs Nationwide International will be recieving my very inpolite and abusive letter within a few days.....via the postal service!!!.

It will be interesting to see if any letter is sent to my old address,with its important contents,or to my new address,which of course they dont accept because of no posted verification............wanke_rs!!

Edited by gennisis

COA always has to e done in writing. Nationwide are regulated y the FSA and they must e seen to take all precautions against fraud and moeny laundering.

Which I fully understand and applaud....but simply to access the account I have to supply a 10 digit customer number,then my personal memorial word and then a choice of 3 numbers from a list of 6. Should I wish to enter into a transaction I then need to enter personal memorial word and then from a list of 10 figures and letters enter 3.

I just dont see how a letter via a postal service( and in many parts of the world the postal service is anything but reliable) is any added value as a security item.

Nationwide will not send any correspondence to Thailand and every time l want to transfer funds to my Thai bank account they always want to telephone me and ask me questions. My problem is that the debit card to my Nationwide account expires next June and they will not send a replacement to me in Thailand. May have to get my sister in the UK (which is my bank account address) to send it to me by DHL or Fed Express but that is expensive.Also did you know that Nationwide are going to charge 2% to withdraw monies by ATM in Thailand. Thats on top of the 150 baht already charged .

I would suggest you contact the Fraud dept at Nationwide as they are quite helpful and after conversations with them they have unlocked my frozen a/c in the past

I take it you haven't got a Nationwide card reader? If you had, you'd be able to change your address etc online using that. It's not a secure item on it's own so they'll send one to you in Thailand, they sent mine here but I had to have my new card sent via my daughter in UK. You can also use the card reader to make transfers.

Edited by jesimps

• 2 weeks later...

Well,here we are 10 days later.

No new password recieved via the postal services....so still unable to access MY money.

Nationwide Int do not have an email address so no way to contact them...my hearing useless on the phone....so its a post job again.

This realy is quite stupid..

My letter of complaint to their Managing Director has,presumably been recieved by them so maybe some action in September?

^switch banks if they're that much hassle.

Yes....I intend to....BUT......how am I going to transfer the account when they have permamently blocked my access to it???

I am in the process of contacting the UK Banking Onbudsman...they will deal with email complaints!. This whole episode has been caused by my hearing difficulties,,,,in normal face to face conversation I can cope,but on the telephone ,its useless.

Maybee they should advertise that they are unable to offer services to the deaf !!

Some banks I have accounts with (none with Nationwide) they will happily transfer to your registered account in your name in another bank or send a cheque to your registered address without the need for a 'phone call.

Bradford & Bingley International IOM is the easiest I've had to deal with.

ALIL always make a 'phone call.

Edited by PattayaParent

Nationwide will not send any correspondence to Thailand and every time l want to transfer funds to my Thai bank account they always want to telephone me and ask me questions. My problem is that the debit card to my Nationwide account expires next June and they will not send a replacement to me in Thailand. May have to get my sister in the UK (which is my bank account address) to send it to me by DHL or Fed Express but that is expensive.Also did you know that Nationwide are going to charge 2% to withdraw monies by ATM in Thailand. Thats on top of the 150 baht already charged .

I would suggest you contact the Fraud dept at Nationwide as they are quite helpful and after conversations with them they have unlocked my frozen a/c in the past

Mmmmm since when did Nationwide UK cease to send debit cards to Thailand? have they written to you to say that?