Thailand Ranks 58th In World's Best Country List

webfact

What's so good about feeling like your stuck in a sauna.....

Yep, that's Finland..... :)

.....which used to be the suicide capital of the world.

Now, for a coincidence, guess what Thailand's world ranking is for suicides....? 58!

Click HERE

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must rank as number one in the world for fine looking chickens at bargain prices you can afford not mention the stunning but dangerous Llamas (pushmepullyous) plus great weather, cheap suds, low cost accomodation and food, cheap transport (excluding mafia taxis) great night life - have I missed something?

great place to visit, hang out, live out of a suitcase etc but dont make the mistake of retiring or buying property - they dont want you staying here long time and putting down roots FALANG

It must rank as number one in the world for fine looking chickens at bargain prices you can afford not mention the stunning but dangerous Llamas (pushmepullyous) plus great weather, cheap suds, low cost accomodation and food, cheap transport (excluding mafia taxis) great night life - have I missed something?

great place to visit, hang out, live out of a suitcase etc but dont make the mistake of retiring or buying property - they dont want you staying here long time and putting down roots FALANG

Not a bad place to live either. I know dozens of farangs who have purchased and live here full time. Many have been here for years and years...and lead a pretty darn good life. Actually heading to a friends place tonight who has lived in his place for almost 12 years. Sunset views to die for!

Obviously they didn't take into account the quality of bush in Thailand as one of the measures of the quality of life. Since it's widely known that bush here can be very good I suggest the Thai government make an official complain. Leaving the bush out of equation may even amount to neo-imperialism on part of the rich countries that are trying to unfairly come up on top of statistics and influence international public opinion in spite of lack of good bush.

Bush? Does this relate to the Australian outback?

I'm sorry. I was trying to make a joke but seems it didn't work. I thought bush = pussy was a given thing.

The real criteria should be:

1. Expat Healthcare

2. Hot chicks, all variety to fit everyone's tastes

3. Traffic laws that can often be negotiated at a whopping 100 baht or US$3

4. Global cuisine at darn affordable prices

5. Cheap beer

6. Accessibility and convenience to vice (er...pubs)

7. Over abundance of shopping malls

8. Access to 7-11 and PTT gas stations

9. Low travel costs within and in and out of Thailand

and the political category needs to be re-interpreted:

10. No need for a working government to have a good time and great life in Thailand

Thailand would be tops. Compare all THIS to Switzerland!

You know something ? When I read surveys , polls etc , on all manner of differing things , with all of the accompanying facts , statistics and wherewithall , assembled by a person or group of people for what ever reason , I do not neccessarily believe one half of it and quickly forget the other half .

Just look at what has been posted here for example , thoughts , feelings , condemnations and all manner of 'Other stuffs' , when in actuality there is nothing in the compilation to give any-one "Knots-in-thier-knickers " , you are responsible to a certain extent , for the choices you have made in your life , good , bad or indifferent . Success comes in what you make of and with your life , learn to be content , it is all you have to work with , hindsight is considered perfect , but will afford you absolutely nothing in what you are or have today .

Personaly I feel I have found my nirvana in simplicity itself , I do not need what was previously sought after or desired or considered a neccessity , I have found happiness in the day to day living of my life without fretting or concern with what ails the rest of the world . I have vested myself of all that does not provide , but rather taketh away , my small pension has transformed itself into a kings ransom , tomorrow is another day yet to be explored .

:clap2: I'll subscribe to this. As to the Newsweek's ratings, the people who've done it wouldn't know sh-t if it hit them in the face.

I have lived for extended periods (over 2 months) in many countries. 28 in total. Thailand is no nirvana, but not a #58 either.

Needless to say it is the best compromise between what I want and like and what I can afford. :)

• 1 month later...

Didn't notice Cambodia on that list.

Not good to be African, you can see wht they are all heading for Spain.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/interactive-infographic-of-the-worlds-best-countries.html

They only applied the metrics to 100 countries. That leaves a lot of countries out of consideration entirely.

The article in the original post mentions North Korea, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Iraq as if they were on the list:

the three countries on the bottom of the list apart from North Korea, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe or Iraq, are Burkina Faso, Nigeria, and Cameroon.

So where are they? I'd like to know their ranks, as well as Myanmar's.

It's interesting to see where Thailand ranks when filtering by the subcategories.

It is ranked 4th out of 38 in the low income per capita category. i.e. it is one of the best countries to be in amongst those countries whose citizens are relatively poor.

It is ranked 11th out of 22 in the large country category.

It is ranked 3rd out of 6 in the ASEAN category.

Edited by hyperdimension