Foreign Company Operating In Thailand

supafamicom

We are in the process of setting up an international IT training company which will be incorporated in Australia or Hong Kong & offering training courses in Thailand. We will need to recruit Thai faculty staff, administration & marketing staff either as employees or independent contractors. We will also be receiving payment from participants of the training courses in Thai baht.

A few questions;Protecting the name - do we have to register the business name in Thailand? We will also need a Thai website, preferably under the .co.th domain for a more local presence.Do we have to incorporate in Thailand to run the training courses in Thailand, to receive fees from participants and pay staff / independent contractors?

Would it be easier to recruit staff as contractors? less paperwork/reporting obligations? If so, what do they need to supply? Do they need to be registered as a business? (this is the case in Australia - would require an Australian Business Number - ABN)

What are the tax implications and reporting obligations of running a business in Thailand as a foreign company?If we need to incorporate in Thailand, do we need Thai shareholders? What % share?

Any help much appreciated.

the bunch of your questions indicates you want to avoid spending money on a professional consultant here in Th., who

would help you with a full start-up model - this is not a very professional way to install a business on cheap, free-of-charge

hearsay recommendations...

Edited by thurien

thanks for the reply thurien.

in the past i have found myself making business decisions based on what i hear from both sides of the fence (so far so good :rolleyes:) and I have received good and bad advice from both sides of the fence.

... any 'cheap' advice/opinions anyone, before i call in the 'professionals'?

the bunch of your questions indicates you want to avoid spending money on a professional consultant here in Th., who

would help you with a full start-up model - this is not a very professional way to install a business on cheap, free-of-charge

hearsay recommendations...

Ok...I'll give it a shot...my answers in red

A few questions;Protecting the name - do we have to register the business name in Thailand? - yes

We will also need a Thai website, preferably under the .co.th domain for a more local presence.Do we have to incorporate in Thailand to run the training courses in Thailand, to receive fees from participants and pay staff / independent contractors? - yes

Would it be easier to recruit staff as contractors? less paperwork/reporting obligations? If so, what do they need to supply? - can be done, copy of ID card

Do they need to be registered as a business? (this is the case in Australia - would require an Australian Business Number - ABN) - nope

What are the tax implications and reporting obligations of running a business in Thailand as a foreign company? - what is a "foreign company"? You cannot own more than 49% of the shares anyways.

If we need to incorporate in Thailand, do we need Thai shareholders? What % share? 51% Thai is minimum

Any help much appreciated.